Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  

Inflatables

I like them, I personally don't use them. To me they seem like they are saying go ahead and knife me.

They make a display stand out for very little money and work.

Kids love them.

Michael B

1st. I think you posted your question in the wrong forum.

2nd. What if I really like inflatables? Are you going to suddenly stop thinking they are tacky?

3rd. I personally enjoy inflatables and feel they can really add to a display when used.

I love the inflatables. They add dimension to displays. And now, they are animated, play music and can be used in LOR or AL sequences. Different Strokes I guess. It is all in the technique.

I like them too, but I, too, personally don't use them in my display. I would though not consider inflatables tacky. To them being tacky is how you will display them only. They are waiting in someone's yard just to be attacked by abig bad grownupkiddie with a big ol' knife in his hand and ready to slice there heads off. What a shame.

i just went some where 2 get it out what i think i hope its not wrong!!!!!!!!!!

OOPS! my bad:(

Inflatables are real crowd pleasers. Every year we receive many positive comments about inflatables, especially this past Christmas when we put up the 6' Snow Globe with Santa and a Snowmen standing in falling snow. Our front yard is only 10' deep so everyone can see it up close. At this close distance, it is very effective and gets much attention.

I'm a molder at heart...but I will admit the inflatables are growing on me...I got my first one 3 christmas' ago and I just love them...

I like that larger than life quality they have....they are great for me because I have such a large yard and they also set a nice backdrop to showcase my blowmolds...

Inflatables RULE! Just ask the thousands of people that drove thru my Inflatable Christmas park last year!

The kids especially love them because they get to see all their favorite Christmas characters & cartoon characters in the front yards of homes. I think they are the GREATEST Christmas decorations on the planet. My hats off to Gemmy for inventing these lovable characters!

My 2 cents worth!

I personally don't and won't have inflatables in my display. First, I don't have the space, and second, I like decorating with lights mainly.

However....

I would not say they were tacky. Personally, I don't even like the word TACKY. Saying something is tacky brings with it judgement. As others have said, different strokes for different folks.

J.

I too like inflatables they are easy to store, easy to put up, easy to put down and they mix well with other decorations!! Tacky No Nice Yes!

I use one in my display with all my lights and blowmolds. For me there is a corner of my yard between my neighbors house and mine that really bothered meforyears andalways looked empty and I was never able to fill it in just right....then I found an inflateable bear......OK my wife found it.....lol......It fills in the hard to decorate not so good looking corners of our houses just right and its in the back of my display so you can stillsee everything else with an distraction too. So for me an inflateable helped with a huge eyesore that bothered me and no one else...so they say...;).

Michael B wrote:

To me they seem like they are saying go ahead and knife me.

Yes but they can be stitched up, well unless too much damage is done, oh but I know how to sew and patch and fix and replace fabric. So fixing them isn't a main problem for me, as long as there would be something to work with. Iknow I stitched my neighbors up a lot last yearbut that was due to heavy winds. Spray paint...now that would be a little harder to get rid of. I know a house in the county got hit with spray paint on everything last year...blowmolds, lights...so really nothing is safe if someone really wants to vandalize it.

I finally broke down and bought a few this year. My neighbor has lots ofthem in her yard (no trouble but weather so far, knock wood)...last year, she had so many for Halloween,that shelent me one to put up in my yard. Loved looking out the window and seeing that big pumpkin out there. This year that pumpkin is going across the street to the other neighbors. It is kind of making the rounds. So I did get a couple for Halloween and I got a clearance one for Christmas.

I really like inflatables. As Brad mentioned, blow molds are number one for me as well. The only thing I do not like about them is when I get them up theyre bent not straight. I usually have to have my neighbor put mine up because he does a wonderful job doing it. I will admit I have gotten new ones for this Christmas season and probably will get more with the stores that have them.

I will go ahead and give my two cents worth about inflatables (and the same would apply to blow molds).

Your yard is like a piece of canvas waiting to be painted. What you paint might be "busy" or "tacky" to somebody and to someone else they will love it. I prefer things that are very clean looking and don't look like a "Where's Waldo" picture. Even though looking at a Where's Waldo picture is fun every now and then, I prefer a cleaner look.

I really wanted to get a large wire frame Nativity set this year but after figuring up my budget and buying 64 channels of LOR and LED lights and such I did not have the money left over one of the bigger sets I want. I then saw the Nativity Inflatable and I debated about getting one because I have never really been turned on to inflatables and thought I would never get one. I went ahead and bought one and set up yesterday and I think it actually looks pretty good.

After this I even thought about buying 10 nutcracker inflatables and putting them all in a roll like a small army and controlling the lights with LOR. For me personally I think this would look better than 10 random inflatables throughout the yard.

This of course is only my opinion and you have the right to totally disagree with me. I have been wrong before (but only once :}).

My display area is at a premium since I live in a cul-de-sac. I have to be careful what I put out. Luckily my neighbors to the left and right have allowed me to take over their front yards.

I have two inflatables that I have used in the past. One is Snoopy's doghouse. I am a Peanuts fan and have always loved that scene. The other is one of the snowglobes with snowmen in it. I used it as the backdrop to my "winter wonderland" portion of my display with wireframe deer, a pond of blue and clear net lights andsnowmen blowmolds. I got a lot of nice compliments on this section last year.

Hmmmm? ar inflatables tacky?

I think Inflatables are pretty cool... Thats why I got into the business of them. They are simple to use... a quick fix for the empty spot and as other said... cool characters... a croud pleaser etc. With the millions that are sold throughout the US alone... I would think that more think they are fun, delightful and bring smiles to children faces... moreso then being "tacky".

Sleeping giants during the day... Come to life glowing holiday display by night... Whats tacky about that?

Just my opinion.

Guest shannanspub

I agree.........I only wish the inflatables could be left on all the time ..24 hrs (I do it anyway...but I check them every day.) Unlike christmas lights that really cannot be seen during the day.........inflatables really can as they tend to be bright and colorful colors for the daytime use.

Unfortunately.....leaving them on all the time probably lessens the lifetime of the fan units and the inflatable itself...........but I just hate the lump that is left on display when they are down.

Fortunately prices are down from what they were years ago so it is not as big a loss it they go bye bye

Eventually....I hope.........replacement fans will someday become and option

They are waiting in someone's yard just to be attacked by abig bad grownupkiddie with a big ol' knife in his hand and ready to slice there heads off.

Yes, it is a shame that some people are so full of hate that they feel like they need to vandalize the things that they don't have themselves. This is one reason that so few people will drive classic/restored cars out in public unless they're with the car full time: besides the obvious potential of theft, you're likely to come back and find dents, key scrapes, kicked/dented trim rings, abent antenna, and acut convertible top.

This happened to a friend of mine some years back, driving a restored 1967 Chevelle and thought he'd stop by the mall to pick up something. The damage done in less than 15 minutes cost several thousand to repair.Nobody saw a thing.The car is now garaged and covered, never to be displayed in public again except for monthly cruises to keep the drivetrain in good condition.

Tom

Hello!

My two cents... many people don't have the economic resources to go "all out" when decorating. For them, inflatables are a great, inexpensive way to have some decoration. I'll give you my story...

Growing up in central PA, we never decorated the outside of the house, even though it would have been a GREAT house to decorate. A few years before I moved out for college, my dad did put some C9 muticolored lights on the four evergreen bushes in front of the house, but that was about it. I swore thatI would decorate when I had my own place someday.

When my wife and I had our first places we couldn't afford much, some icicles over a window, some rope lights on the rooflines, and that was about it. We moved to Houston and that was the first place we saw the inflatables. I was very impressed by how quickly they could be set up, how impactful they could be on a display, and how I could get a great decoration for a small investment (in most cases). So we started with a 6' snowman, and added that to our rope lights, icicles, etc that we alread had. That was Christmas 2003.

On December 23rd 2003, my wife and I were in the living room and I heard a loud POP. I knew what happened and I ran out the door and across the lawn, chasing five teenagers who had just popped our snowman. I chased them to their car, which was trying to pull away as one of the slower kids was trying to get in. Some very un-Christmas words were coming out of my mouth at those little bas... I mean those misguided youths. The car peeled away and the final kid fell to the ground and got run over by the back tire of the car (that'll teach him mess with Frosty!). The car stopped, the kid jumped up and dove (literally) into the back. They took off into the night. Many of our neighbors yards had inflatables and they had also been vandalized. I woke everyone up, called the police, made everyone file a seperate police report (the officers LOVED that one!),ranted and raved for awhile, and then went to bed.

The next morning I went out to the yard and used duct tape (which fixes everything!) to fix the rip under Frosty's armpit. Barely visable, I was triumphant in the fact that I was not going to let some idiot kids mess up my family's holiday. This was one of those waving Frosty's and believe me, if he had fingers I probably would have made the middle one stand up proudly. I put a sign in the front yard that said something along these lines:

"To those thinking of vadalizing this yard: The last person who did so was run over by a car about 20' from the house. And our display is still up! You're being watched! Merry Christmas!"

Have not had a problem since... but I got side tracked...

Any way, in response to this forum, I think inflatables used the wrong way can be tacky, but when combined nicely with lights, LOR, blowmolds, etc, they can be a welcome addition.

My overall point however, is that I think EVERYONE should decorate if they feel so inclined. And we should applaud everyone who takes the time or effort... even if it's just one inflatable... to join us in this hobby.

My two cents... Thanks!

Ryan

I would never characterize an inflatable as "tacky". I personally didn't use any in my Christmas display last year although I do own many of them. This year I might, it all depends upon the mood I'm in and what my theme is. Having a plethora of many different kinds of decorations, including inflatables, gives my display a different look each year.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of whatPCers do would be considered "tacky" by some people--1,000's of lights, blowmolds, wireframes, inflatables, music, animations, mega trees, mini trees, the list goes on an on. Just check out http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/

and it proves my point. I go to that site and think "Wow! I Love it!" But the intent of the site was to poke fun at people like us who go a bit over the top.

Just my 2.