Galvanized Or Black?

I have galvanized for one tree (20 ft) and top rail fence post for the other (15ft). The galvanized has held up great. It is not painted black or anything but it does not seem to show up at night. s for the fence post I did paint it black as it will get a little rusty in spots. Both ave held up for 6 years and counting.

I have used black as well, a lot of it actually. I did not think to use vaseline, but even with it rusting a bit, I have not had problems with threading on/off. I use a pipe wrench with the teeth covered with duct tape.

I use Anti-Sieze compound on everything I have outside that I want to get apart later. Another item to add to your inventory is di-electric compound. I use it for my c7 connections.

post-149-0-91503100-1347285614_thumb.png post-149-0-08941800-1347285286_thumb.jpg

I agree. I use 1 1/4" black pipe and the anti-sieze helps with getting them apart.

• 1 month later...

I use pole pins from www.chritmaslightshow.com with 1 1/4" black pipe for my 25' mega tree, and i touch up the paint with black spay paint every year, and the black doesn't reflect the light.

The pole pins gives the tree more strength, i have had threaded couplers pull apart so i do not thread the pipe together any more.<p>

Your right about that!! I've used his pole pin in mine for 3 seaons now and it's quick assembly and very sturdy when the wind picks up also it you smear a little vaseline on the pins before inserting they come out very easily

I use pole pins from www.chritmaslightshow.com with 1 1/4" black pipe for my 25' mega tree, and i touch up the paint with black spay paint every year, and the black doesn't reflect the light.

The pole pins gives the tree more strength, i have had threaded couplers pull apart so i do not thread the pipe together any more.<p>

Marty, how tight is that pin? Can u pull it appart for storage? I used fitting on mine and it wiggled a bit but never broke last year.

Marty, how tight is that pin? Can u pull it appart for storage? I used fitting on mine and it wiggled a bit but never broke last year.

Unfortunatly the threads & couplings on the pipe are not designed for the application we use with all the weight from the lights and extra stress of the wind blowing causing the pole to sway or wiggle and will break down or crack and down comes our tree.....I've seen a few posts with pics of that happening and it was a sad sight.