Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jfelix

When Is Everyone Starting To Decorate This Year?

Bill are you going to be able to do your display this year?

That's the plan. Adding lots of new elements and another 128 channels. That brings the channel count over 875 conventional channels. mind boggling!  I'm just hoping I'm up to it health wise, we will see.

This will be my first synchronized Christmas.  Will be using 16 LOR channels and a good bit of static display (icicles & a manger scene).  I haven't worked it out backwards yet.  I plan to have it up & running on Thanksgiving night, so I will have to have it installed the weekend before so I can work out any bugs that might come up.  I am in south Louisiana and we have to mow in November, so we can't go too early unfortunately.

We have already started the planning phase for our newest addition to our display.  We spent two hours at the hardware store yesterday buying bits and pieces to start building and testing.  When we got home I spent another 3 hours cleaning the work shop in preparation to start the project.  Very excited.

I'm hoping to start just before Halloween this year.

Last year was my first synchronized year (80 channels) and I also added about 3000 lights. I spent most of November building new elements and controllers and wound up not getting started until the 10th of December.

Other than a mini-megatree and adding a few colors to my garland/wreaths, this years display is pretty much the same so hopefully I'll have my show up and running by mid-November.

I start putting up lights... high stuff first lawn elements last.... in mid-October with the goal of a neighborhood pre-lighting party the Saturday before Thanksgiving. 

Mostly depends on the weather.  Usually I start the day after Halloween, but I don't plan to do a Halloween show this year - just a few props instead.  So the upper lights may go up mid-late October.

For me, Labor Day Weekend is launch day.  Like most folks, I do the roof first with icicle lights and borders.  My Holdman Bethlehem star comes next...right on the peek of the roof gabble.  Like most folks have said here, I'm not really excited about it this year.  I need to do a lot of repair work on stuff that got damaged last Winter.  I know I should have fixed everything before I put it all away last year but when I start to tear down, all I want to do it just get stuff in the boxes and out of sight.  I have a sort of weird mixture of feelings of anticipation, excitement and dreading the sore muscles, electrical shocks, fighting trees when wrapping branches, climbing ladders all day, and computer glitches---the same problems everybody else has. Weird, huh?

Can't believe this thread is up and running again. I think I started it last year. I'm not sure what we're doing this year. I do not foresee our big show this year. Since I have kids we will put up lights and I may just do animation with background music but no show.

It has been a very stressful few months for my wife and I so no show will be helpful. Plus last year the cops came as we were blocking up a main road.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Normally, this is the part where I whine about having to get motivated to start hanging Christmas lights in 100 degree heat.  However, Tulsa has gone all Seattle on us (not complaining) and if it ever stops raining, I'm going to start wrapping my big trees in the field.

After not having our display up the last two years I am so excited that we will be having it once again this year!  With all the rain we have been having we will be starting early this year....first weekend of Sept!  We have already planned out the display and I will starting the modifications of the sequences!  Super excited

After not having our display up the last two years I am so excited that we will be having it once again this year!  With all the rain we have been having we will be starting early this year....first weekend of Sept!  We have already planned out the display and I will starting the modifications of the sequences!  Super excited

Glad to see your lighting up again Gina!

I'm looking to start first weekend in September as ive got 80k lights and 16 controllers. Will be configuring the controller assignments and making sure all 16 work before they are all scattered across the property am also looking at adding atleast 200+ pixels to the display this year.

Halloween - Oct 15th thru 20th is set up, then lights run until Halloween night, roughly 10 days is enough for that one.  Takedown begins Nov 1st and then I set up the Fall display for the wife.  It sits in the middle of setting up Christmas, but usually not in the way.  I work on and off with the display during this time, aiming to light up the Fri night after Thanksgiving.  Depends on work as always, but definitely try to be lit up by first weekend of Dec.

I think the real question is, with Thanksgiving falling so late this year will anyone be turning his/her lights on before Thanksgiving?  I'm kind of leaning towards doing that, perhaps the Friday before Thanksgiving week.