Cfls In Blow Molds

mdpeterman

Hello!

I have always used incandescent bulbs in my molds so far, bust Sam's club had a great deal on 6 pack of 60-watt equivalent CFLs for $2.39. I tried installed them in GFs standard socket and they don't work! It seems as if the socket is too recessed for the bulb to make contact. Have any of you had a similar experience? Do you have and recommendations for resolving this?

Thanks!

Used 13w last year in all of my blow molds - very, VERY bright - pure WHITE. Santa went through 3 bulbs in 2 days before I put the incandescent one back in. Please note: Standard CFLs - Do NOT dim.

WARNING - CFLs do pose a serious health risk as they break easily and the contents are considered a bio-hazard. :wacko:

Used 13w last year in all of my blow molds - very, VERY bright - pure WHITE. Santa went through 3 bulbs in 2 days before I put the incandescent one back in. Please note: Standard CFLs - Do NOT dim.

WARNING - CFLs do pose a serious health risk as they break easily and the contents are considered a bio-hazard. :wacko:

I can't find any lower watt ones that are decent prices. Why did you go through 3 bulbs so fast? They're supposed to last a long time.

Thanks.

I use CFL's in all my Halloween molds with medium sockets, and so far I haven't had one go out. This has been in Michigan October weather. Christmas I'm still incandescent as I don't like the slow start up time the cold causes, if they even ever get to full.

What's interesting is GF once had a short socket design, the long socket is their newer design. Not sure the reason for the change.

Two years ago I replaced all of my bulbs in the molds with CFL's from Menards, the bulbs were 3 for $1.89, and they all still work.

In the extreme cold it takes two minutes to achieve full brightness, but I have encountered zero problems with them and the money saved on power is extremely noticeable.

Two years ago I replaced all of my bulbs in the molds with CFL's from Menards, the bulbs were 3 for $1.89, and they all still work.

In the extreme cold it takes two minutes to achieve full brightness, but I have encountered zero problems with them and the money saved on power is extremely noticeable.

I started to replace my molds with CFL's. I have a static display and don't plan on changing that. Also living in Washington state where is doesn't usually get too cold, I think that I'll be fine. I'm hoping that I'll have the same luck as you with the power savings and not having any problems.

I've heard on TV and read online (I think it was Consumer Reports) that CFLs should not be turned on for short periods of time then off again since that would significantly shorten the life of the bulb. CFLs should remain on for longer periods of time (like lamps, flooslights).

That said, I tried replacing some outdoor floodlights with CFL floodlights a few years ago and they busted (the glass covers shattered after a cold rainy night). Those were NOT labeled for outdoor use, but I bought outdoor-labeled CFL floodlights last year and had no trouble. Yea, they take a few minutes to warm up to peak brightness. But they surely do save $$$ on the power bill

Guest Blowmold Magic

I switched all mine over probably about five years ago, I use the cheap 4 packs from Home Depot, have had great luck with them, only a few that went out. For the sockets I just cut them down with my tin snips takes about a half a minute! The cfl's made a huge difference in the power usage!

I switched all mine over probably about five years ago, I use the cheap 4 packs from Home Depot, have had great luck with them, only a few that went out. For the sockets I just cut them down with my tin snips takes about a half a minute! The cfl's made a huge difference in the power usage!

I agree, using snips are the way to go to trim the bases.

A few things:

1) Forgot to add previously - I generally use 7W (25W equivalent) CFLs in my molds, except some of the huge ones, which will get a 40W equivalent. The brighter bulbs just overwhelm smaller molds IMO.

2) As suggested, too-frequent on/off cycles will shorten the life of a CFL considerably. Some are dimmable, but horribly expensive. If I had a huge switched/animated display and wanted to save power, I'd spring for LED bulbs.

3) I've never had a huge issue w/ CFLs not coming on quickly and/or not reaching full brightness. It might take a few minutes, but in my experience they get plenty bright.

Jason