Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Christmasjunkie

Anybody Hanging Lights Yet? I Started Today :-)

It felt good to get the boxes out, open things up and start hanging lights today. I just put up the first group of icicle lights on the roof.. It wasn't much but it sure felt good. I have been thinking about it for months and building things all summer. It's time to do something!. My neighbor looked up and said, "I see you're at it again." Yup! The crazy neighborhood Christmas guy is at it again. They sure do seem to like it come Thanksgiving though. Anybody else already 'at it?'

Have not hung any lights yet but have the mega tree tower up 30 ft, the stageing and repair tent is up, new underground two 200 amp ckt boxs ready to mount to pull from. Will start pulling things from storage this week for test and repair. We are changeing location to coner lot beside our house this year so had to redo most everything. The projecter area and screen frame also go up this week. We are adding a Laser system this year from our Laser Display company so I have to file for a permit with CDCR, that should not be a problem. I will be using a 5.5 watt pure light laser with a 10 pos table for full color. Want be doing any sky beams and eveything will be termated and rear screen should be ok with that. Good luck hanging lights and remember the fall is not what hurts its the sudden stop.

WOW! Your system makes mine sound pretty minor. Sorry I asked!

NO display is minor, all the hard work and time spent is a labor of love and joy thats what its all about. I have been lucky enough to run across some great people and deals here on PC and without there help I would be lost.

Edited by Roger

NO display is minor, all the hard work and time spent is a labor of love and joy thats what its all about. I have been lucky enough to run across some great deals here on PC and without there help I would be lost.

Roger my friend you absolutly right. Preach on!!!

Just looked at the calendar yesterday and projected start date for hanging is Oct. 6th! I usually start mid October but I think I am going to speed it up a week this year. I will start on the roof as usual. Get the 88 string outline done (4 colors), and then the new strobes I am adding this year. Last year I added white LED strobes to the roof, and now red, blue, and green too! Going to take some extra time so starting earlier is a must I think. Best wishes to everyone and BE SAFE!

All the roof lights are tested and sorted. Hanging all the roof lights tomorrow afternoon !! Stay safe all.

Edited by pastorbrian

i started Sept 11th, I was going to start the 10th but rain delayed me except to test :) working on a new project during day, some sequencing at night

I appreciate everyone's comments and input. I am having more trouble than usual getting stuff up this year because of my work travel schedule. I hope to get some stuff up on the roof today. keep updating each other on how we're doing! And everybody remember: Everybody keep em lighting!

Anybody else get paranoid about putting lights up too early? I'm always scared that the longer they're out in the elements, the quicker they'll deteriorate due to rain, sunlight, etc. Or am I way off here?

I got an email last night inviting me to a neighborhood meeting to address the traffic problem I generated last year. The kindly invited me to attend next week. I guess I'll have to start slowly in order to prevent them from panicking. :wacko:

Good luck with Tue meeting. Let us know how it goes. I plan to start next Saturday. Stringing trees, the roof, roofline, etc.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anybody else get paranoid about putting lights up too early? I'm always scared that the longer they're out in the elements, the quicker they'll deteriorate due to rain, sunlight, etc. Or am I way off here?

I agree i have to replace alot of lights because the color has faded because of the sun.

I made the mistake of leaving some lights on a big tree this year. Last year they were blue. Now they're just clear.

I've already had 2 strings go back after I put them in place! Geez!

Edited by Christmasjunkie

Got started on My Stable today, hope to get the roof on towmarrow.

Will have bales of hay around the base stacked two high, building a Shepheard out of PVC got the head today for him to go with my 3 blow mold sheep, will keep making another person every year. And will have my Blow Mold Star above the stable.

253162_4712721336647_1451952328_n.jpg

Got the top on the carasel My Coroplast came in friday will get it monday to go around the top.

HAVING TONSSSS OF FUN

254321_4712723736707_1982580830_n.jpg

Edited by okshadow

I have a few new rgb elements I am trying to get built before I head outside and start putting everything up..I feel like I am behind already..

I spent the day on my roof hanging icicle lights-- 3 different colors in each section. The Red led's are C7 so they each got their own shingle clip to hold them in place. It took pretty much all day.to get this done. I lit them up tonight and it is good to see something done finally.

With it snowing up here in the Edmonton area & with temps in the -4c (about 24.8f) you get some motatvation to put up lights because it can really get cold. However all my lights are up on the house as they never came down. They are nicely tucked away in the J-channels. I will be setting up the outside display items very soon.

Well the weather here is nice in Cape Breton so i decided to put up the lights around the eaves , around the railing , around the windows,put the snowman faces and the wreaths on the shutters saturday i put the net lights on the trees in front of the house also put the flashing lights i forget the name of them 12 all total in trees also this was all done in about a 3 week period today i was going to put out the snowflakes above the trees but it is raining see what tomorrow brings Blair

Got to get some bails oh hay to go around and in the stable now. Got the conduit for the new blow mold Star to go over head and cut the back wall for the video screen.

60671_4743005333728_712368388_n.jpg

Edited by okshadow

Still have Halloween up. But most of the power infrastructure is up, dual purpose. Now we have Sandy to deal with. Seriously thinking about tearing down the air blowns tomorrow. :(