Blowmold Help - Help Me Identify

LightsOnLinden

`That mold was originally made by Empire then remade by general Foam. it only came with one reindeer at around $79.99 and the additional deer were around $34 each. this year Menards is carrying the General Foam remake right now

http://www.menards.com/main/see-more/christmas/lawn-decor/72-santa-with-sleigh-reindeer/p-1852371-c-12293.htm

That's actually not a bad deal for a new GF combo for that mold. It's the most colorfully brilliant of the Santa/Sleigh

LightsOn - Dollar Tree has the C7 cords with the spring clips on the bulbs for $1 apiece here in the Upstate of SC. I have bought several within the past few weeks for my molds.

Congrats on your find !!

The number of reindeer is completely up to you. For many years I had 4 reindeer (just because) and then I had 5 to simulate Rudolf at the front and 4 sets of two reindeer. Eventually I got a set of 9, 5 Empire/General Foam and 4 Grand Venture. Because the GV ones are smaller they fit well in front of the others, making it clear that the rearmost 8 are paired. These days I have many more reindeer of many makes, but I never display more than 9: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen and Rudolph.

You can have however many deer you want!

Also, does anyone know where I can get some of those C7 plug wires and springs for the blow mold lights??

LightsOn - Dollar Tree has the C7 cords with the spring clips on the bulbs for $1 apiece here in the Upstate of SC. I have bought several within the past few weeks for my molds.

Congrats on your find !!

My local Dollar Tree doesn't carry them in store. If yours doesn't either, you can buy a case of 36 for $36 (plus tax) online, and have them shipped FREE to your local store. Took about a week for mine to arrive at my local store.

http://www.dollartre...ht clip&x=0&y=0

Just clicked on my own link, and noticed they also sell them in lots of 4 for $4!

Edited by Elaine F

My Walmart had them. I didn't pay attention to the price though.

The ones at my WalMart are $2.50 each. Not bad if you only need a couple. I got the case of 36 from Dollar Tree a few weeks ago, planning on having them ready for Christmas. Then I ended up using 10 of them on Halloween!

Thanks for the info. I didn't get any emails so I didn't think anyone had replied to this thread.

I am still looking for three more so I can have a set of nine. However, I'm perplexed as to how I can set them up.

Seems they have mounts at the bottom of the deer, but I don't have any brackets. I seen a post where a guy had them strung up which looked cool but I don't have time to do that.

I was thinking of building a 2x4 frame set up that would angle up as if the sleigh and deer where taking off or something like that.

Edited by LightsOnLinden

The ones at my WalMart are $2.50 each. Not bad if you only need a couple. I got the case of 36 from Dollar Tree a few weeks ago, planning on having them ready for Christmas. Then I ended up using 10 of them on Halloween!

2.75 each at my walmart. (knoxville TN) so I ordered a case from dollar tree. hope to get them soon!

Thanks for the info. I didn't get any emails so I didn't think anyone had replied to this thread.

I am still looking for three more so I can have a set of nine. However, I'm perplexed as to how I can set them up.

Seems they have mounts at the bottom of the deer, but I don't have any brackets. I seen a post where a guy had them strung up which looked cool but I don't have time to do that.

I was thinking of building a 2x4 frame set up that would angle up as if the sleigh and deer where taking off or something like that.

I string mine up above the roof with cable. But, I've also seen a couple of nice displays where the reindeer are each mounted atop a piece of pvc pipe. The pipes start off shorter for the last reindeer in the line up (the one closest to Santa), and get taller as they head towards Rudolf, so he's up the highest. Maybe some folks who've done it that way can post their pics.

Trying to find some pics, but running out of time before I have work to do.

Here's one of two years ago, when I did "Rudolf's Revenge". It shows the pipes I used (1/2" threaded pipes) but I know others have used conduit, which is cheaper, easier to cut and just as effective:IMG_1518.jpg

Let me link to a crummy quality video of a display from several years ago. It shows the pipes better:

http://s325.photobuc...nt=IMG_0864.mp4

I'll look for more pics later. I hope this helps some.

Trying to find some pics, but running out of time before I have work to do.

Here's one of two years ago, when I did "Rudolf's Revenge". It shows the pipes I used (1/2" threaded pipes) but I know others have used conduit, which is cheaper, easier to cut and just as effective:

I'll look for more pics later. I hope this helps some.

"Rudolf's Revenge" - now that's funny! giggle.gif

hoyt clagwell thanks for posting the picture and providing the video link.

It was helpful, though, how deep are you putting those into the ground. Do you ever run into a situation where they fall over or with high winds get out of alignment?

I am pondering either placing the full set up on my roof, however, I just got a new roof so not wanting to damage it. Wondering if others have put stuff on their roof and weighted down with sandbags, etc. Do you have any roof damage come spring time?

The alternative is to keep it on the ground but build something out of 2x4s ... some sort of cradle to hold the sleigh and deer with minimal view disruption. etc.

I also need to understand how folks are mounting the deer. I know some of the deer I have, have the bottom part broken so nothing easily to mount it too, etc.

Lightsonlinden, you're welcome. Those poles are driven in 12-18" deep, and no, the wind is not a factor at all. The sleigh itself is on the ground and staked down with a few metal stakes. The metal legs attached to the bottom of the deer have been bent so they will fit into each of two poles; they keep themselves very straight that way. Where I have two deer abreast I drive in three poles, about a foot apart. The center pole receives two sets of metal legs, while each outer pole receives only one set of legs. Sorry, I wish I had better photos for a "How To". Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I should note... I wired each set of deer on it's own. So I have one channel for Rudolph, and then a channel for each set of deer - (Blitzen-Donner through Dasher-Dancer) and then finally a channel for Santa.

Also, I added a C7 red twinkling bulb in addition to the blow mold bulb for rundolph too.

I am pondering... putting some strobes in the middle of the paired deer for an added effect.. not sure what that would look like......

Well, I got my roof frame put together. All deer are wired and it's built in modules. Santa is one unit, four deer, and then the rest. It all bolts together. Hopefully held down with sand bags.

santa_deer.jpg

Beautiful Set up!!!! ...........But I have one question......Don't you own any other blow molds?.......That there garage is way too empty...... :P

I love that idea. Thinking of stealing uh I mean borrowing that idea. Any chance you can give a close up of the wood to blowmold connection technique so I can see it better? Also, I too have a new roof so I was thinking of going to the local carpet store and buying up whatever carpet remnent they have left over and covering the bottom of the frame. That way the weight of the 2x4 does not come into direct contact with my shingles. Just a thought, and once again awesome job.