Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
urthegman

Scammed On Alibaba

Hello All, Although extremely upset, I just wanted to share my horrible experience on Alibaba so that maybe it helps prevent someone from going through the same thing. I posted that I was in need of LED ropelight and received a flood of emails from different companies who offered their product and found 5 or 6 who seemed to have reasonable prices and could deliver goods in a reasonable amount of time. I had ordered from China before and was reasonably comfortable doing so. I had 4 of them send samples and tested them on controllers and gave them all a 25 day test on the roof to see which held up to UV rays the best. One of the samples were head and shoulders above the rest so I ran his prices by Ray Wu and a supplier I had dealt with previously to see if they could at least come close to the price being offered. When they couldn't I placed the order for 1600 meters of cool white (200 meters for a nearby christmas decorating friend) and 200 meters of blue. When he asked for payment I mentioned escrow (which I had used in the past) and he replied that they are a small company and I checked their website and they seemed legit, so I made the mistake of wire tranferring the money to their "company" bank account. to me it was another sign that made them a legitimate company in my eyes. After I placed the order communication lagged but I did sporadically hear from "Rex" . I explained that I needed them delivered by the first week of August because rope light is more pliable and easy to work with when it is warm out. He had no problem with that, but of course I didn't get it. I called him on the phone and although there was a slight language barrier, he assured me that he would send them out shortly. 2 weeks went by and I didn't here from him so I went to the chinese restaurant near me and they spoke to him and acted as an interpreter for me and explained I needed the rope light ASAP to make my "product". He assured them and me he would have them to me no later than September 20th. Of course I did not get them. I emailed him and cc'd the "company's" sales department. The "sales" department emailed me back that he no longer worked for them and that they forwarded my payment to the new company he worked for. I told them how illegal and unethical that was and that they are on the hook to deliver my goods. Yes I realize it was him responding and there is no real "company". I told him in yet another email that what he was doing was wrong and not only did he cost me the money which I guess I am going to have to get over, but the time he cost me killed me even more!!! I said if your not going to deliver the lights just email me back NO LIGHTS, but of course he didn't even have the decency to do that!!! I am so upset. I am retired and living off my savings and I was going to use the rope light to make and sell 6' rope light snowflakes to help pay for this hobby of ours. Well, let my misfortune be an educational opportunity for you and do not do business with a company called Eland Industry LLC and if you do business with China or on Alibaba, insist on using escrow where you release payment once you get the goods. And maybe buy a small amount first to check on the quality of the goods. Thanks and if I don't get the chance in the next couple of weeks, Have a very Merry Christmas!!!! George

This is a classic tale of the risks of dealing with China. the most important rule is never ever buy anything through money transfer systems like moneygram, western uniion ect as these offer no protection to the buyer. Really would you trust a stranger on the street with your money without any way to ensure your protection, you just wouldnt. Normally what happens is that you are sent a decent sample to then make your big order to then recieve a far cheaper and inferior product.

This is why many people use Ray Wus Aliexpress store as he has been tried and tested many times over, yes he may stuff up from time to time but he nearly aways makes good in the end. People must be careful when hunting down a bargain from China as these stories are more common than you would expect.

Even buying from other Aliexpress vendors besides Ray Wu is a pretty big risk. I have tried three other vendors besides Ray and in two of those three cases I got screwed over. In one case, I ordered some LED strings clearly labled 6vdc, battery powered. The pictures showed the 6v controller on them, showed the battery pack, etc. What I received were strings designed to plug into 220v european power. The vendor refused to do anything about it, claiming he had sent the correct product. Second screwup was similar, product delivered not close to product advertised.

Oddly enough, the third, non-Ray transaction actually turned out to be some very high quality "meteor" or "snowfall" tubes. I was really surprised that those were so much BETTER than expected. ;)

Moral of the stories here are simple. If you want to buy LED stuff from China, get it from Ray Wu. Ray has always stood behind what he sells. He's gone above and beyond to fix any issues if there are some. I've had a dozen orders with him and have been quite happy each time. (or eventually happy ;)

I always buy in china thru ebay and pay them with paypal. Never had any real problems there. When a package gets lost or they send the wrong goods, i contact them and they send me a new one without any problem. If not i just open a paypal claim and then the problems are always very quickly solved.

But thanks for the warning anyway. Have also been looking around on alibaba for other sellers ;)

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest filing a complaint with Alibaba since you went through them to get to the distributor. I know they have a department that handles things like this.

Edited by ocsurf

I tried to make a purchase from Ray Wu using my VISA and it aliexpress wants me to send them a copy of my passport, bank account statement or the front and of my credit card.  Has everyone else who purchased lights from Ray Wu had to do through these hoops?

I tried to make a purchase from Ray Wu using my VISA and it aliexpress wants me to send them a copy of my passport, bank account statement or the front and of my credit card.  Has everyone else who purchased lights from Ray Wu had to do through these hoops?

The way that most pay is through paypal. We send ray a list of what we want, he sends back a pro-forma and we pay into his paypal acount, none of the crap your talking about.

Just an FYI about Paypal.  If you fund your Paypal purchases with a credit card only, you will always get refunded if something goes wrong, this is because you can file a chargeback through your own credit card company and Paypal knows this.  Check your card terms, the length of time that you have to file varies.  I have never not been refunded even using the balance or a bank account, but if it is a large purchase, be sure to use your credit card only to fund the purchase for added insurance.