Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Alabama_Santa

Displays 2012!

It's quite in here. Hope everyone is working hard to make 2012 a great Christmas Lighting season.

I am building a few new things this year with more lights and wire frames.

I have high hope for a great Show this year and I also hope to get around to see severl others Displays.

Please post your Basic location and details and when you light up.

I am in harvest Al. and this year we will have over 100,000 lights mostly LEDs on over 200 LOR channels.

My show should be about 40 minutes long I think and we have voice overs this year by the Demented Elf.

Happy Lighting.

Hey Bret, my family and I made it to your display last week and it looked great. I like the additions you made this year. I am in search of a populated list of animated displays in Alabama as well. We have a few around Decatur that we visit, and there are now two in Hartselle, mine being one of those. We are traveling to the Birmingham area and would love the opportunity to make it to some of those. I can't find any addresses to visit. A couple I had seen in the past have dead links if you try to visit their website this year and even the Facebook links no longer work. I hope the people in this hobby are not giving up. I love your version of Mary Did You Know. If you don't mind telling me the song version, I would love to add this to my display next year. Our display would not be worth your drive down, because there are barely any other decorations around, much less DISPLAYS. You can however check out www.peebleschristmas.com and see some videos from our display.

Merry CHRISTmas!

hey everyone! I'm back and bright this year, have a few additions and a website that's constantly being updated.... www.kmlights.com gives song list, directions, facebook link, everything! 25k lights in elkmont alabama