Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
cim2010Gus

Walmart Christmas 2012

Stopped by Walmart yesterday...They have a nice selection of everything Christmas this year...Had 100 ct lights at $2.88....Thinking of picking up the 16' Santa that Lowes had last year...they have it for $199 this year not bad...

They also had a nice Micky Mini cart...Cant remember the price but going to have to pick that one up to add to the collection...

This is an ebay auction that has the picture... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRISTMAS-Disney-MICKEY-and-MINNIE-MOUSE-SLEIGH-Airblown-Inflatable-NIB-/290792013613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b48dff2d

I have been buying from Walmart on line instead of in the stores.

For Halloween they started making them down early and made "package" deals with free shipping.

I think I am going to wait to see what they do with their Christmas on line. Have a feeling they might do the same and save a lot of money that way.

Thanks for the pic...Have wanted to see it in a display...

I got last years 16' santa from Lowes and every one loved it, had hime in the back yard, we decarate front and back

307110_2705917447804_29805345_n.jpg

Edited by santaigrhs

Thinking of picking up the 16' Santa that Lowes had last year...they have it for $199 this year not bad...

I was at my LOWES this weekend and they have the 16' Santa ......But get this .........It was $259.99 Could you please give me the store # or street address.......I'm Pis**d off...How cant they do That??? Thats a $60.00 difference

And I bought it..Boy am I embarrased

Edited by gmac

OH.........My Bad, Thanks for clearing that up ..........You just lowered my BP by 20 points.......Guess I'm going to LOWES tomorrow with a return and ordering from Walmart

If you can find an advertised price....Lowes may meet Walmarts price. (Show Lowes tou are a "vet" and you DO get a discounted price.)

Would the one Santa at Lowes be better quality (say better fan or heaver gage vinyl) than the one at walmart ?

gmac,

They are both Gemmy, I would think they are of the same quality.

The one at Walmart is Lowes last years model, that is why Walmart has it cheaper this year.

The ones from Garden Ridge have been of less quality I have seen in the past. I personally won't buy their inflatables any more.

Edited by VegasLee

gmac,

They are both Gemmy, I would think they are of the same quality.

The one at Walmart is Lowes last years model, that is why Walmart has it cheaper this year.

The ones from Garden Ridge have been of less quality I have seen in the past. I personally won't buy their inflatables any more.

It sure is great having a resident inflatable expert here on PC......I mean this as a compliment and really appreciate your input I returned the 14 ft Santa to Lowes and ordered the one from Walmart and saved 50 Bucks.......Thanks again for your input

Don't know about "expert".

We have a lot of them and we are good at shopping and comparing. No use paying more than we have to.

Enjoy it. Tie those big ones down well.

Speaking of tieing them down what would you recomend to do over and above the normal tie downs that come with the blowups cuz this is going to be almost 3 times taller that any other inflatabe that I used before?

BTW I saw some pics of your display and its incredable

Thank you for the comments on our display.

As above, you can use sandbags if you can't stake them well to the ground.

We use Tent stakes instead of the stakes that come with them. We also use heavier twine most of the time on them. All of our stakes are 12" long. We use them on all Inflatables. Faster, easier, stronger and last forever. I buy them by the case on Ebay.

We have some 20' inflatables that we put a line around the middle of them and than tie to that instead of tying to the Inflatable itself. That seems to work better, lets them move without tearing them up.

The big ones are great but you have to work on getting them just right.

We leave our Inflatables up 24/7 once they are set up, even in the wind and we have been alright. You might not want to leave them up in the wind but in some cases I don't have a choice. (ones on my roof)

I took some 1/2" conduit cut in 24" lengths and drove them most of the way into the ground, left about 8" showing. It did great and we had wind here last year only came down 1 time.

I know this is an old topic but yesterday I went to Lowe's, just to see.  They had one 14 foot santa on 75% off.  Price came to $62.  I told my wife we had to have it but she thought it was too much money.  I bought in anyways (sofa last night), this morning I showed her this thread and I am out of trouble today.  Thanks for the help you didn't know you were giving me.  Can't wait to add the new santa to my display next year.

Tell the Wifey to read POST #7 That should get you out of the dog house.  I paid $200 I saved $50 and thought that was great........But $64 for that !  Before Christmas it was $250 ....Thats a steal........She should be proud of U !!!  ^_^  

Edited by gmac