Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Selena Tilly

Poloron 60" Santa Motor Parts

Hey Guys,

Just got this Santa and have almost finished repainting and restoring him. Still got to finish repainting his upper torso and arms, but have finished the bottom and lantern. I am looking for the pieces that connect the motor to the torso to make him rotate. Took the motor apart and redid it so it now works like new, all the brackets are inside the torso. Just need the rest. Any help would be great!!!!!!! :Dpost-16911-0-30269500-1350448755_thumb.jpost-16911-0-94471500-1350448267_thumb.j

Edited by Selena Tilly

Thank you so much! Its been a labor of love. I saw him last year on my neighbors porch and he was almost all white due to fading from the sun. I will post more when he is finished.:)

Yes, that is an awesome job you did! That is one of the neatest blowmolds they made in my opinion.

I Agree........ This is my most Favorite Santa Blow Mold out there......The facial features, the way he's posed and just all the extra details that went into him makes him awesome.....I'm so glad he was saved and restored with such love................ Great job Selena!!!!!

The repaint looks fantastic! What parts exactly are you missing, maybe you can fabricate something similar?

sorry i'm no help either, but just wanted to add/agree with the rest, ur paint job looks fantastic!! -did u spray paint all those details? -its very impressive!! :)

Thanks! I Used an auto paint sprayer for the big areas, airbrush for all of the small stuff, and then put in details and lines in with a thin, small brush. The airbruh is my best friend in doing these. :cool:

Edited by Selena Tilly

Guest Holidays With Gris

Excellent Santa restoration. I think you will need to create that part yourself as those pieces are hard to come by. Can you post a motor pic? That May help the brainstorm process.

This is a shot of the motor and brackets used to rotate the Santa. I am missing the saddle that slides over the pole that the torso bracket sits in, the wheel and shaft that fits in the square drive gear of the motor and the connecting plate between the saddle and the wheel. The first two pictures are of my motor and bracket. The last is a picture of a complete motor set up so you can see what is missing. A friend of mine is a sheet metal craftsman and he is going to try to replicate the pieces. Since it is sometimes common not find these pieces still with the Santa, he will make some and sell them if anyone needs a set, if what he makes for me works out. Will let everyone know when he is done.post-16911-0-04818900-1350634170_thumb.jpost-16911-0-46047800-1350634206_thumb.jpost-16911-0-13897600-1350635030_thumb.j

Edited by Selena Tilly

What kind of paint did you use? I have some I want to airbrush but I just don't know what paint to buy and this resto looks better than new :-)

Oh Yeah!!! The lamp santa is holding... I have the same lamp post and repainted it the same colors you have there. At the time I restored it I used paint from cans that you would use to paint models with.

Edited by DKRGoods

Thanks everyone! For the regular colors (reds, greens, browns, etc) I use a paint that is made for the hard plastic surfaces on cars. It works great, adheres better to the plastic blow molds, and last longer. You have to use a prep solution before the paint but its worth it. I get it in quarts at the auto body supply store in my area. For the gold and silver I use an Ace Hardware brand metallic paint. To paint the big areas I use a DeVilbiss gravity feed auto body spray gun. After I finish with the painting, then I clear coat the whole thing using a regular suction feed auto spray gun. All my details I do with regular and pinstripe brushes. As long as you are able to remove the old paint you should have a very smooth look without any dark spots when you light it up. With the air brush you can get great details in small areas, but need the brushes to create the clean lines between colors and parts on the blow mold. Sometimes you can buy sample color jars if you only need a small amount, but since I have been repainting and restoring so many blow molds for our display, the quarts are cheaper for me. I am not an expert by no means and this may not be the best way, but it seams to work good for me. Hope this helps and thank you guys so much for the nice comments! It's a lot of work but I love it!!! :D

Your Welcome and thank you for the tips. I have tried different methods and since this Santa looks so awesome I had to ask. :)

Thank you again!!!