Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
W Lewis

Best Method To Keep Blow Molds Standing

I use any one of these methods or a combination.

* Small garden rocks in Ziploc Freezer bags. Just fill bag enough so it slips through light hole in back. Usually takes about four to five bags.

* PVC or conduit pipe banged a foot in the ground and slide mold over it. I also add weight in the mold for better stability. Usually a two feet section is good.

* Same as above but this time I either zip tie the mold to the pipe or I have heard others using aluminium wire. Pole has to be size of mold after a foot in ground

* I made stands for my soldiers and screwed them to the stand.

How to make stand: Take a piece of plywood and cut it to 12" x 12", put soldier in middle, then take a foot long piece of 1x2 lay it against the soldier so it is flat and mark it on the piece of plywood, take soldier off of stand, wood glue 1x2 to 12"x 12" plywood and add a sheet rock screw through bottom. If you have many like I did I took all measurements so all I had to do was mark each piece. For added stability I drilled two holes through the plywood so I could slip tent stakes through the holes into the ground. Get the tent stakes that look like big nails. I found them at Harbor Freight. One screw through bottom into mold and one through 1x2 into mold. Don't forget to paint the stands. When I painted mine the 1x2 was glued and screwed first. I used the cheapest black paint I could find. One gallon painted 25 stands twice.

Hope this helps you. Oh yeah forgot one. I use bricks inside too. I have some molds that a brick slips in nicely. I got one snowman with four bricks. :-)

Have yet to have any fall over in the New England winters.

A good part of my yard is sloped, so I use the cheap, short green metal fenceposts from Lowe's. I drive the post in, and then tie the mold to it with aluminum wire (the aluminum won't rust or stain the molds). This keeps them from leaning. I also use wood bases with 10" spikes for shorter, smaller molds like sheep, etc. on level parts of the yard.

rebar. I also will use a clothespin to hold the cable tight to the extension cord so it doesn't turn.

Another alternative to keeping them from turning is drill a small hole in back of blowmold and put a cable tie through it, an attache cable tie to groudn stake.

You might need to add some of kind of padding if you slide the molds over rebar or pipe to prevent the bulbs from being busted. Water pipe wraps works good.

Good thread IMO - falling molds cause damage sometimes - scuffs at least - which we don't want. I love all of the above ideas. I drill small holes close to the bases and use metal "tent stakes" all arounf the base. However, if the ground is saturated from rains, I've had them to pull up the stakes in high winds. Luckily, I live in a "hole" - so wind is not that much of an issue, normally.