A Few New Arrivals Today

Mel Fischer

Guest Blowmold Magic

Mel, those are superb! I never realized they came with a base, I just finally got the caroler, but mine did not come with a base. I had also been wondering who made the candles!

Lidco made those in the mid 60's and they were made both with and without the base and flowers. Not seeing more then one at a time until I found these I had not paid enough attention to pictures I had seen to notice that they came with the two differnt colored flowers for each design. We also have their small angel with the white flower but the flower shows some wear on it. Last week we received one of their angels without the base and flower still in the original sealed plastic bag and a few years ago we got their floral arrangement. We now have the candle with the base and the two different colored flowers, without the base and flower and in the floral arrangement. I am assuming that is the extent of what they did with the candles but then who knows what might show up in the future. I have not taken a picture of the new angel in the sealed bag yet.

Mel

LidcoCandleFrontBMC-515In1965600.jpgLidcoCandleBoxFrontBMC-5550.jpg

LidcoCenterPieceFront17In500.jpgLidcoAngelRedHairFront725.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I find it facinating that many of the smaller blow molds were attached to a foam centerpiece.  I wonder how many I have picked up that may indeed have originally had a foam base.  Mel are there any tell tale signs in differences between molds attached to a center piece and those that are just a mold itself?

Thank you for your response Mel.  I apologize if my questions sometimes may be about trivial details, but those details are the keys needed to open the doors of knowledge.  I will go back and study my small blow molds and see if indeed they were Lidco and had bases or if they were made by their predecessors.

No need to apologize, no question is trivial if you are interested in learning more of the history of a blow mold.  I have been accused of being too much of a purist many times through the years when I look for detailed information for the different ones and I don't let that stop me from asking.  As any of the "oldtimers" can tell you, my main interests in the blow molds anymore is researching and documenting the history of them.  Decorating with them is now a secondary enjoyment.

To my knowledge, there was no predecessor to Lidco on these molds, they made them both with and without the foam.  Empire did make at least the carolers pictured in message #15 and it is assumed that they had acquired the Lidco mold.  All of the Empire ones that I have seen have their name molded into them.

In my previous reply I forgot to mention that the staple holes will be obvious as the staples were of a larger size.

Mel

I've been wanting to get the Lidco Santa for a while (his face is so cute), just never put the effort into it.  But, when I saw this one come up on eBay a couple of weeks ago, I decided it was time!  This one has tons of the leaves and flowers.

lidco-santa.jpg

Edited by Elaine F

That is a fantastic center piece and I love it.  That is another one that a picture would be great for uploading to blow-molded.com.  Now I wonder if Lidco made that one with the white poinsettias.  It seems something different from Lidco keeps showing up over the last year or so.  After seeing the picture I need to check ours to see if there is evidence that it might have originally had the other floral parts also.  Can you see on yours how many individual holes in the Styrofoam the additional pieces are inserted into?

Mel