Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Deeny Dine

Your Thoughts On How Displaying, Or Seeing A Nativity Changed Your Life

I have been asked by my church to talk to the congregation on that last Sunday of November, about how displaying or seeing a nativity display has changed my life or faith.

Does anyone have stories that they would be willing to share, that I could use?

The local merck chemical plant always displayed a life size nativity every Christmas, I gre up looking forward to seeing it every year. Later when I proposed to my beautiful wife I drove her to it and took her to see it up close. There I asked her to be my wife. Years later when an idiot complained about it being displayed on mercks property, they donated it to my church. My pastor knowing the story of how I proposed asked my wife and I to be the caretakers of the set, and to set it out every year

Last year I was out in the yard talking, a Father and his Daughter stopped in front and he was telling her the Christmas Story and about how Jesus was born in a manger, it made my nativity so worth all of that for one child to hear the Christmas story. Plan on having it for that one more to ask Daddy about it so he can tell the story.

When I sit by myself and look at our nativity display I often get teary thinking about the humble way that Jesus came to Earth. And knowing that He did it so that I could have eternal life is really moving.

Several years ago before I converted to LOR synchronized shows I used a complete multi-character, hand painted, life sized Nativity scene that I built and painted myself. 

One Sunday night, just before Christmas I answered my front door to greet a couple in their late 60’s, very nicely dressed.  I saw two cars parked in front of my house and could tell that they were fully occupied.  We exchanged greetings and they asked me if it would be OK if they brought their grandson into the yard and pose him next to the manger and the baby Jesus for photos.  They shocked me when they said that their grandson “had been saved by my baby Jesus.  I asked “You mean MY BABY JESUS, and not just the baby Jesus in a global sense.  They pointed to my yard and said “THAT BABY JESUS.”  I gave permission cautioning them to be careful of all the flood lights and extension cords strung around the yard.  As I watched behind the curtains I saw a young boy of approximately 10 years old walk to the manger and stood while people from the cars took many pictures.  The man then came back to the door and asked if it would be OK if the rest of their church group came back the following night for more pictures.  I was so shocked that I didn’t know what to say, so I said yes with the same warning to be very careful.  Although I checked periodically the next night, I never saw any groups out front. 

Christmas was the following week and my family went out of town for a couple of days starting Christmas Day.  My display was on timers and was lit every night while I was gone.  As I was pulling into my driveway on my return, I immediately noticed that the baby Jesus had been stolen.  I had never had a single incident in all the previous years that the display was up.  On inspection I found that the plywood figurine had been carefully unbolted from two pieces of rebar driven into the ground.  I used pipe clamps, bolts, washers and nuts to secure the figurine to the rebar.  I checked the ground and there wasn’t so much as a dropped washer, nut or bolt to be found in the area.  I believe that if it had been your typical vandal they would have just ripped the figurine apart trying to get it free.

This probably isn’t story you were looking for here, but I have to say that I was pretty creeped out to think that that nice couple or other members of their church group had resorted to theft to get my baby Jesus.  On the other hand, I suspect that my handiwork was on display someplace and hadn’t just been thrown in a ditch someplace

I was planning to retire the Nativity scene anyway the following year, so I took it down and it was never displayed again.

Several years ago before I converted to LOR synchronized shows I used a complete multi-character, hand painted, life sized Nativity scene that I built and painted myself. 

One Sunday night, just before Christmas I answered my front door to greet a couple in their late 60’s, very nicely dressed.  I saw two cars parked in front of my house and could tell that they were fully occupied.  We exchanged greetings and they asked me if it would be OK if they brought their grandson into the yard and pose him next to the manger and the baby Jesus for photos.  They shocked me when they said that their grandson “had been saved by my baby Jesus.  I asked “You mean MY BABY JESUS, and not just the baby Jesus in a global sense.  They pointed to my yard and said “THAT BABY JESUS.”  I gave permission cautioning them to be careful of all the flood lights and extension cords strung around the yard.  As I watched behind the curtains I saw a young boy of approximately 10 years old walk to the manger and stood while people from the cars took many pictures.  The man then came back to the door and asked if it would be OK if the rest of their church group came back the following night for more pictures.  I was so shocked that I didn’t know what to say, so I said yes with the same warning to be very careful.  Although I checked periodically the next night, I never saw any groups out front. 

Christmas was the following week and my family went out of town for a couple of days starting Christmas Day.  My display was on timers and was lit every night while I was gone.  As I was pulling into my driveway on my return, I immediately noticed that the baby Jesus had been stolen.  I had never had a single incident in all the previous years that the display was up.  On inspection I found that the plywood figurine had been carefully unbolted from two pieces of rebar driven into the ground.  I used pipe clamps, bolts, washers and nuts to secure the figurine to the rebar.  I checked the ground and there wasn’t so much as a dropped washer, nut or bolt to be found in the area.  I believe that if it had been your typical vandal they would have just ripped the figurine apart trying to get it free.

This probably isn’t story you were looking for here, but I have to say that I was pretty creeped out to think that that nice couple or other members of their church group had resorted to theft to get my baby Jesus.  On the other hand, I suspect that my handiwork was on display someplace and hadn’t just been thrown in a ditch someplace

I was planning to retire the Nativity scene anyway the following year, so I took it down and it was never displayed again.

Wow, I am sad to hear this.  Your story started out with so much hope and warmth all to be taken by a Grinch!  Baby Jesus thefts are all too common but I loved your outlook that your handiwork is (probably) on display somewhere.  I hope it is too and I hope you find it in your heart to build another one and keep your nativity display up.  Build a couple of extras in the hope and belief that there are more baby Jesus displays out there than there are natvity sets.  Let's flood the world with baby Jesus!

having been a Christian for almost 50 of my 60 years, I am so glad to see this thread here on the forum.  Not much I can add to stories, except to say our nativity scenes get the most attention.  we usually have one large one (blowmolds, etc), then several smaller ones.

it gets to be real easy if I am not careful,  to lose focus of CHRISTmas each year with all the lights, inflatables, etc.  how our world and country desprately need to hear the real meaning of CHRISTmas.

p.s., does anyone know of a link or place for a kinda easy stable.  want to do something better this year.  year before it was shipping pallets on their sidewith a straw roof.  last year was made from some left over power poles, but they aer too heavy and awkard to move around and store.

Over the years I have had many people come by and get their kids pictures taken with my nativity scene.  It always excites me when people drive up and get out and take pictures with baby Jesus.  Several years ago I took the next step with my display and displayed a huge cross on top of my house that could be seen from a long way away.  I was outside one night fixing some lights and talking to people and a Family drove by and stopped and was just looking at everything.  I walked over to them to say hi and I could see the man had tears in his eyes.  he told me how beautiful the display was and that he had to tell me that I did not know what i had done for his family.  They had been going through some hard times and to see my display just made their Christmas and thanked me over and over for taking the time to put all my stuff out.

I had a person come by one night and tell me that by being able to see the Nativity scene and the cross at the same time that he finally understood what Jesus came here for.  I hope over the years I have been able to move someone toward Christ.  If it changes the life of just one person it has all been worth it.