Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Roadrunner000

Source For The Plastic Used For Jol / Pumpkin Candy Buckets Handles

I've been trying to find a source for the thin black plastic band that was commonly used for pumpkin handles(flat style)...I may have found the rivets that were used for the older ones but can't seem to find the plastic...doesn't look like its changed much since the early years..Anyone know a good source for this..I've seen similar stuff sold in rolls but not quite the same..

I have a few older pumpkins I was just messing around with and thought it would be cool to see if those pesky broken handles could be fixed...There seems to be two basic styles of that plastic that was used..the riveted style plastic and a slightly more flexible shinier piece used on some that that simple fit over exterior notches on the pumpkin..this isn't as common but they are out there and I have some in my collection..

Edited by Roadrunner000

Figured I'd bump this myself since I got no response...I ended up doing some digging and contacted General Foam.

My first mission was to obtain the current style plastic handles they have been using for quite some time....they are the thinner style that have the little notch that pops into the small hole on each side..they are nice because they can be removed say from one of there cheaper blowmolds and used to replace a missing or broke one an older more collectable one from earlier years. General foam does have these and if you contact customer service with a model number they will sell them to you in pretty much any quantity....shipping was kind of expensive so I ordered around 50 of them if anyone wants one PM me as I'll be glad to help out anyone who needs one. I'll post picture of one when they get here.

Now my second mission is to find the older style plastic flat handles that were usually riveted to the candy pail. I also inquired to General Foam about these and the lady was really nice and checked with the warehouse and they verified that what they did was exhaust all the stock they had of that style and then transitioned over to the newer style handles you see that I mentioned above. They pretty much have anything available for the current stuff you see in there catalog..unfortunately none of the blow mold candy pails use that style handle anymore so they aren't producing that style plastic in the factory.

As luck would have it I have a friend who has had some other style plastics produced for other uses and he offered to have a sample of what I want copied and produced...typically you have to purchase around a 1000ft of the material...so if you used around 1ft per handle that is a lot of replaced handles...so would anyone be interested in any of this is I have it made...I will likely do it no matter what just to go through process...but helps if I know others might want some of this to use for themselves to repair older style pail handles.

I'm still trying to verify the style rivet best used..but the style they typically used on most was called a scored setting which opens like a flower when used to provide more strength..typically I've seen these on various manufactures including bayshore, empire, and general foam.

Edited by Roadrunner000

Are you repairing instead of replacing for a reason? If you have a Target store near you, they have their pumpkin trick or treat buckets for .10 each. A few years back I bought 85 for $8.50 and gave them to the kids at our party. Kathy stacked some and wrapped them with garland to use as decorations at school and I thought about punching a hole in the bottom and making an arch with lights.

Normally they sell for a 1.00 before xmas and your right you could just take the handles from those but then I'd have a bunch of JOL's with no handles..I guess you could give them away....other issue is the local Targets here pretty much sold all of there stuff...In this area the after Halloween sales almost always clean these places out of most stock and then they put what is left away for next year...so I just decided to do a bulk buy of the handles. I'm not really repairing these I'm replacing the ones I have with missing handles with new ones...keeping in mind the pumpkin your talking about isn't the only model that used this strap..they have been using this style for a while so I'm more concerned with using the straps to replace on older more vintage ones that are missing or broke.

Now the older style ones with the straps that break...or are missing I am replacing or repairing back to their original condition..this requires more work to track down proper size rivets with proper mounting tool and having to have the original plastic handles copies to exact specs...which I buddy of mine has done with other stuff so this is pretty simply project to get done..just requires a bulk buy so I'll have a lot of older style strap left over when I'm done so wondering if anyone had older ones they might want to repair with new one that matches the older style.

Edited by Roadrunner000