Lights Just Keep Getting Shorter

Mark Clements

100 strand Minis get shorter every year i build a tunnel over my driveway every year and the lengh of tunnel is the lengh of 100 mini .This year the ones from lowes are 23.9 feet, last year they were 25 feet i have some form walmart from 4 or 5 years ago that are 27.5 feet and i have some real old one from lowes in the flat boxes that are 32 feet when is it ever going to end makes it very hard to do my tunnel every year .

Amen. Makes it hard to replace my mega tree strings when I need 25 footers to reach back to the center. I think my Menards minis are as short as 23.5 feet. As long as the price of copper continues to rise, I assume they will continue to get shorter. I'd say that's why they are more expensive now too. I don't think Chinese labor is more expensive, so I assume it's gotta be the price of copper.

In 2009 copper was around $1.70 a lb. then in 2011 it was over $4.00 lb. 2011 that was when they were probably mfg. our 2012 Christmas lights. We want cheaper prices so they give it to us, but at a cost... the difference in light strings went from 32' & 24' x say millions of sets we don't have to be a mathamatics major to figure out that one.

Consumers are always looking for the lowest price goods on the shelf,so manufacturers keep shortening the strings to stay competitive with the other products on the shelf they must compete with. How many people are willing to pay the $18-25 price for top quality lights that are 50 feet long......not many,but GKI still makes them and they tend to only be stocked by specialty stores where the few consumers shop that are willing to pay extra for quality vs quantity.