Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
chowell

How Is Your Setup Coming?

I hope everyone has had a safe setup thus far this season! I had the roof done a couple of weeks ago and was feeling good but with Thanksgiving fast approaching I am feeling a bit behind.....as usual! Yesterday I hung 7 snowflakes on the house, lit 4 pillars, and put up 2 chasing light poles. I still have 8 yard arches, 3 leaping arches, 19 mini trees, 4 shooting stars/poles, and 1-48 channel mega tree to get up. I also still have two songs to get sequenced. We are only two weeks out! I better get back to work.

Very slow- but I feel good about it. I actually hired a guy with a bucket to hang the lights on the house this year and it saved me a ton of time and headache. Truth be told, my biggest fear is finishing my programming. I also bought CCR's this year, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to add them easily to my existing show... so they may have to wait. Sucks spending that much money and not getting to enjoy the effects this year.

took pics of the bucket hanging my lights yesterday... they are here: https://www.facebook.com/FosterFamilyChristmas

I am feeling good, but scared that I am feeling good because something is about to go horribly wrong. The ligths are all on the house (about 5500) and I just finished the programming. The yard lights go up after my last time through the yard sweeping up leaves which should be on Saturday.

I feel like I am on schedule or even a bit ahead, but every year, something goes wrong and I end up scrambling the last week before lights go on. It does not help that Thanksgiving is so early this year. I don't like to start setting up until after Halloween, but with only 23 days to lights on, things are tight this year!

living in a new neighborhood this year...neighbors have a quizical look on their faces with me putting up lights...i might be some ahead but the cutting spt1 wire is kicking my butt ....it'll be worth it.

Finally started Wed. got the roof peaks done....Thur Got the gutter lights, Icicle lights strobes & wireing done....Fri. Took all day to do the Spiral Tree but got it done.....This weekend will be the Mega Tree and hopefully get some trees wrapped it theres time. Thank Goodness for the great weather were having.

all roof line, window lights, pinwheels/spinners and 8' mega tree is up (pic on my FB Page) Running 90% LED's this year. What's left?

reindeer need to be "un-hibernated" from the attic and placed on roof

3 channel star set up on the peek

25 trees need set up and new LED's added to them

Add BLUE to EVERY display element (finally)!

install ground C9's

Set up Arches and Firesticks

Setup and connect LOR units (after testing)

Putting lights up is easy... converting over to LED's is really tough

This is my first year putting up lights (used to live in a condo) so I am waiting until after Christmas to make a big purchase. BUT, I have completed the gutters and trim lines and one window frame (J channel). Need to make another frame for the door, then do the tree in the yard. I have 100% LEDs and can't stand lights that aren't straight...so it is slow going! Having fun though!

Setup is on/ahead of schedule. Programing...not so much. Fell way behind this year on programing. Hopefully I'll be ready in time

Well everything i have is up but its not much this yr finally in a place with a yard so doesnt look like much i hope to get about 10 or more sets of lights and few more itemsfor yard. Hope to have all up by thanksgiving as thats when we always light up

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

I am getting there this is a 100% new setup this year after loosing all of my display to a house fire after moving it all from Ca to sevierville Tn. I got lucky i found a great score on craigslist i got 8 wireframe toy soilders, 15 wireframe deer, wire frame snowman, nativity set and 4 large moving boxs full of lites and more than half still new in box and much more anyways the house is about 90% there and i have my mega tree up the only thing that made it though the fire i hope to have all it about 95% done after this weekend so lights can come on next week :0

Got the mega up last weekend. Snowflakes and strobes on the roof done. Got the first round of lights on the house eves. Still got all the ground work to do. Still have one more song to do - Chipmunks, and copy and paste last years melody into this years config. I really got to stop redesigning the display!

Got the mega up last weekend. Snowflakes and strobes on the roof done. Got the first round of lights on the house eves. Still got all the ground work to do. Still have one more song to do - Chipmunks, and copy and paste last years melody into this years config. I really got to stop redesigning the display!

Ditto. Especially when you add more controllers each year

I've got about 30k so far with the roof and windows done. Oh how I dislike ladder work! Now all the yard elements are coming out. Knocking out the 2 megas and tree wrap this weekend, then tree line and ground lights next week. My lights-per-hour installation rate should drastically improve now that it's all ground work. :)

im done im done im done! fully tested, 3 light strands need repair...so glad now just let it be less than 3 strands for the rest of the season.

99% Done with lights and elements This weekend need to hook up all controllers and test If everything works I'm DONE DONE DONE !!!

(If everything works FINGERS & TOES CROSSED)

So I spend 10 hours today getting section 2 done (the right side {ground} of the yard and house). Wanted to see if the controlers worked so I stopped at sundown and connected everything to the show computer. Still a lot more to do, like wrap 9 trees with new LED's, put reindeer on the roof, set up the firesticks, and build 3 new controllers to add 6 more arches and plug in the mega tree. I definitly have my work cut out for me this week... I have reserves all weekend too so that won't help much at all.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151144496029212&comment_id=24259953&notif_t=video_comment

Edited by Clyde Lindsey

Got all my posts in around the edge of the lawn and christmas flag poles on the corners. worked on the carosel tonight, almost done with it, got to get it outside now.

602280_4853100286033_1804518255_n.jpg