Soldering Longer Cord Between Led Icicle Lights?

I am thinking about getting these icicle lights. I am considering hanging them from my oak tree. If I do this I will need more cord between the lights. I was thinking about soldering in a longer cord between the lights so they could hang down from the tree. These are led lights. Is there any problem doing this? I have never messed with soldering led's.

iciclelights.jpg

Should not be a problem (big IF here) -

1- as Justin said- use heatshrink and the correct wire. (I use liquid tape and heatshrink)

2- you maintain the correct polarity when you add the extension wire.

Go for it and Good Luck!

Nice sequencing on the video! (share? ;-) )

Should not be a problem (big IF here) -

1- as Justin said- use heatshrink and the correct wire. (I use liquid tape and heatshrink)

2- you maintain the correct polarity when you add the extension wire.

Go for it and Good Luck!

Nice sequencing on the video! (share? ;-) )

Will share anything you want. Send me a message.

I have done a few variations of this without a problem. I have splice strings together, shortened strings (due to not enough black out caps and duct tap is just too ugly), and increased intervals between lights. Like they said, as long as you maintain polarity. SPT1 should due just fine. Make sure the point is well put together and sealed.

One other important thing is make sure your solder iron is very hot because the little bit of shielding on those strings melts in a hurry!

I was thinking of using SPT 1 cord to splice between the two.

Using SPT-1(or2) should be no problem. Again, be certain that you maintain polarity of the wires. I would mark one wire on both sides of the proposed cut then proceed to cut it. I suspect that any line resistors are either in the icicles or in a blob somewhere along the main wire- just don't cut those out. I am a fan of using both heat shrink and liquid tape. I was happy to find it also came in white so all my white wire splices don't have to have a black section on them.