Jump to content

Extention Cord Alternatives?


Recommended Posts

Greetings,

Wondering if anyone had some advice to share. Last year we opened up a small computer repair store. Needless to say our budget is small. We spoke with our landlord about doing an lighted Christmas display to attract attention to our store. We wanted to use the LOR 16 channel controller. He is intrigued by the idea and thought it would be good to do. Unfortunately, the city has an ordinance that commercial buildings can't use extension cords longer than 6'.

Apart from getting multiple controllers, does anyone have some creative solutions?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this

What ever type of light you will use figure the amps per channel. Go ahead and run your 6 foot extension cords and then buy some C9 or C7 strings and use that as the remainder of your extension cords. Either put burnt out bulbs in the sockets or leave them loose. A burnt out bulb would be the best way there would be no chance of the socket becoming empty and creating a shock hazzard.

That will keep you in code and your bulbs are just burnt out.

One way to get around the code.

Anthony

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOR has a wireless transmitter. We use 4 of them. Look them up at Light O Rama website. THat may help some. You can hard wire between the lights and inside, then you no longer have an extension cord.

Darleen: That would be fantastic! I saw these on LOR: http://www.lightorama.com/Wireless.html However, I believe it is for linking multiple the controllers together. Is there another device you're referring to?

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this

What ever type of light you will use figure the amps per channel. Go ahead and run your 6 foot extension cords and then buy some C9 or C7 strings and use that as the remainder of your extension cords. Either put burnt out bulbs in the sockets or leave them loose. A burnt out bulb would be the best way there would be no chance of the socket becoming empty and creating a shock hazzard.

That will keep you in code and your bulbs are just burnt out.

One way to get around the code.

Anthony

Anthony,

That's a good idea. Know anyone who would have some burnt out bulbs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check with the Inspectors or building department.

We have seen that law a lot when it comes to powering equipment or permanent lighting but have been able to use long extension cords for things like this with no problem as long as the public does not have access to them to trip over.

I run 100' cords to equipment at events all the time even though we have the six foot extension cord law here with no problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOR has a wireless transmitter. We use 4 of them. Look them up at Light O Rama website. THat may help some. You can hard wire between the lights and inside, then you no longer have an extension cord.

FYI: Light linkers are designed to replace Cat5 cable "NOT" power cords
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check with the Inspectors or building department.

We have seen that law a lot when it comes to powering equipment or permanent lighting but have been able to use long extension cords for things like this with no problem as long as the public does not have access to them to trip over.

This is true in most areas and for something that is temporary like Christmas lights, I'd check with the Fire Marhsal in your municipality and explain what your doing and see if they say OK.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, ha. You caught me in my ignorance. My husband sets it up, all I knew is it worked and it was wireless.

I wasn't insinuating anything, you give out a lot of good info on PC ...Just wanted to clarify what light linkers do.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't that create more amperage for the working bulbs? Then those could blow out

even if he would have more "working bulbs" that would not blow out other bulbs the more bulbs you have will increase the total amperage which you have to be careful of so you dont over load the wire plugs circuit etc... but it would not have any effect on the bulbs

Edited by TitusCarnathan
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with everyone about talking with the inspectors. I am a Lieutenant on our fire dept. We do not allow extension cords for permanent use. I would allow the cords for a Christmas display as long as the cords were in good condition and not causing any sort of trip hazard.

Now I have a couple of ideas that may work if they will not allow your cords.

You can try power stips with long cords. We allow them up to 25 feet as long as they are a UL listed power strip with a breaker on it.

You can replace the cords that come with the LOR controller and replace them with long enough cords to fit you needs.

Finally I would go directly to the head inspector or Fire Chief. Explain what you are doing, so they really understand what is going on. Most have the ability to bend on some rules at their discression.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just FWI the fire department has nothing to do with electrical codes. As long as it is not a gross fire hazard.

National electical code would apply here. It would all be considered temporay so it would not be an issue. Ask you building inspector for a list of any town or city ammended electrical codes they have. It they can't produce said document I would not wory about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...