Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
RichardH

Add More lights to an inflatable

Ok I just got this inflatable from an online vender

I inflated it today to try it out and it looks great!

I have a question though. Lights are only run in the manger part so at night the middle part is all dark. Have others added more lights to their inflatables to really make it glow? I tried putting some minis in the baby Jesus and it worked well but there really is not a way to have the lights stay around the face of Joseph and Mary.

Right now I am just thinking of having a white spot light it up from the front.

Any Ideas?

16893.jpg

(Image used with permission)

I believe this has been brought up before over at MHD and some people say that they use the mini lights with no problems at all! Where you can sew on the material maybe you can sew a loop to the material where you would want the lights to be and connect the light cord with a simple twist tie! and if you don't want to go to all that trouble maybe if you put the spotlight to the backside of the manger it would work to show the figures a little better then putting it in the front. Let us know how it comes out! Hope this helps

I use mini lights and safety pins...I'm too lazy to sew...lol...some of my larger inflatable have as many as 300 lights added...

Go in at your zipper and work your way through to the ares you want lights...sometimes you may have to carefully make a hole...just make sure you only make a small opening...

Find the top of the area you want lights(Joesph's head) and there will be a seam where it was sewn....take your safety pin and attache to the seam and thread the female end....repeat...female end of your mini lights onto your pin...and begin to work your way out and around...use more safety pins to tack lights in different areas...

And make sure you leave enough slack for the inflatable to have sufficent room to inflate without tugging the lights..

Best advice...always use some caution and common sense...but don't be afraid of it...it's hard to mess up an inflatable...

Large safety pins are the way to go.

I use plastic coated ones as they will not rust in inclement weather. If you do not have plastic coated pins, then go to the hardware store and buy the plastic dip or plastic spray.

neworder wrote:

I went ahead and changed the photo. Not sure why this online vendor would not want people to post their pictures since it is free advertising. Thanks for the tip I will not post their images any more on the board.

Neworder I don't think Tim would mind if you used his photo I just believe that with many copyright andinfringements ( if I'm saying this right) could cause trouble for someone who wouldn't or doesn't have permission to use said photos. This way the forum here would be protected and so would the poster if None of the watermark pictures were used at all! I know I have used Tim's pic's with the watermark and he didn't have any problem with it at all. That is just what I think Chuck is trying to say here,but like you I have been wrong before but only maybe once.

:waycool:

Tim and alot of on-line vendors do appreciate the free advertising...but instead of putting up a copyrighted image...post a link to the picture on the vendors site...

Guest Bob_Moody

I had one of the 4' halloween pumpkins. Its an indoor model and it didnt have any lights.

I back lit it with a yellow flood. As you can see, it works very well.

I've also used the minis secured with saftey pins.. both methods work very well.

-- Bob

post-328-129570966327_thumb.jpg