Hanging Lights Vertically From Trees (Spanish Moss Style)

Does any one have any recommendations on hanging lights like this. I did this last year and I made hooks out of hangers. Due to my limited reach I doubled up the 20ft strings to make them 10 ft or so. I didn't have a quick picture of mine so this is someone else who did this (guess I cant give myself credit for this brilliant Idea..haha). Anyway, I need better ideas for using a long pole to hang the strings, Methods of making the hook to easily go on and off and also stay put on the limb (and also accomodate different sized limbs, Best way to power each string, Best way to get them down after christmas.

Last year I doubled up the strings and made a hook with pliers from a hanger. Each string was then tied to an extension cord and staked to the ground so they wouldn't blow around. I only did about 5 or 6 strings...and it looked pretty good. I'm sure this has been talked about on here before but my searches didnt' turn up anything.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3122587743/

• 4 weeks later...

I used to wrap the top of my tree horizontally, but the lights would always get caught in branches when I took them down. After seeing this post, I used the vertical method, but instead of letting the lights hit the ground I took the ends and started wrapping them around main trunks. Here's the pictures during the process and after. This tree has white, red, and green on it. I like the results.

post-14107-0-12167300-1354773740_thumb.j

post-14107-0-87525700-1354773755_thumb.j

Love it!! You must have a bucket truck. :-)

I use a 25 foot telescoping pole to hang lights from tall branches, then my 12 foot step ladder to wrap trunks. Trunk wrapping seems to go on forever. I also had to twist three different colored light strings together into super strings. That took a while for 60 strands each of white, red, and green. Well worth the time though. :)

Telescopic pole would be great..I tried using conduit, (two linked together) at 20ft and it was too long to deal with moving from the ground flat to the tree. I did one year using my LOR and did about 5 tree's in three different colors each. Ran all the power cords from the LOR to the trees all over the yard. Too much work and too many long extension cords...wow. Some of these displays I see would take half the summer to get ready for and storing the cords and all that and buying all that is crazy. Let alone dealing with burned out bulbs after a few years. I'm thinking projectors and spotlights for my next display.

Some of these displays I see would take half the summer to get ready for and storing the cords and all that and buying all that is crazy. Let alone dealing with burned out bulbs after a few years. I'm thinking projectors and spotlights for my next display.

I would agree. My one tree took me 2 full weekend days to complete. I can't imagine doing more than one. That's why the Spanish moss style is so appealing to try for a large tree. Less time I would think.

• 4 weeks later...

I put seven "vertical" lights on my tree.  Each are on a separate channel.  I love the look and it really adds to the show.

How do I do it?

I throw up a weight with a string attached to the desired branch, and lower the weight to the ground.  This can be a little tricky!!  I then put in a stake at this spot, since the weight is showing me the vertical landing.  I then cut off the weight and tie on the light cord (female end).  I pull the string raising the lights up to the branch.  Then I tie off the string that i used to pull it up.  I bungie the bottom to the stake at the ground, and bunch up any remainder lights around the bottom.  The bungie allows the branch to move without putting too much strain on the lights.  At season's end, i cut the tied off strings used to pull the lights up, and down they come.  Easy.

Thanks for your experience and I love the idea of using a rope that gets anchered down with a bungee (I experienced anchor failure this season with high winds not using a bungee).  I also really like the "cut at the end of the season for easy take down" idea.   Do you think that throwing the weighted string is hit or miss when attempting to hit a specific branch?  Also, depending on how many interfering branches I can see getting a "clean hang" to be a problem (but that is also a problem the way I did it with a hook formed on the branch end of the string).   Thanks again for your ideas and experience!!!   Happy new year!!

I put seven "vertical" lights on my tree.  Each are on a separate channel.  I love the look and it really adds to the show.

How do I do it?

I throw up a weight with a string attached to the desired branch, and lower the weight to the ground.  This can be a little tricky!!  I then put in a stake at this spot, since the weight is showing me the vertical landing.  I then cut off the weight and tie on the light cord (female end).  I pull the string raising the lights up to the branch.  Then I tie off the string that i used to pull it up.  I bungie the bottom to the stake at the ground, and bunch up any remainder lights around the bottom.  The bungie allows the branch to move without putting too much strain on the lights.  At season's end, i cut the tied off strings used to pull the lights up, and down they come.  Easy.

Yes, throwing up the weight is very tricky.  You have to choose a good branch that has a fairly clear 'path' for the toss.  I have had the weight thrown to the wrong area (bad aim), then have to pull it down.  Of course it comes flying right at me!  I have had some very close calls with being hit.  My 'high' branches are about 20' up.

One trick I used in a high branch area was to use my extension pole with the weight twisted on top.  I put the weight it the desired area, then un-twisted the pole, and it drops off.  Then, i lowered it slowly.  Since the weight drops straight down, i have never had a problem with a 'clean hang'.

I'll attach a pic if i can figure out how to upload on this forum!  Does the pic have to reside at a URL?

There is a family in my area that has done this for years. They were on the news showing how they did it. They use a bow and arrow and 25# fishing line. tie the line to an arrow shoot it over a limb the attach a sp wire extension and the light string to the fish line pull both up (he ties stars to the female plug end of the string) tie of the fish line and sp wire and plug it in.