My First Coro Cut Out

Here is my almost finished attempt at a Coro Cut Out. So far, I have found that going coro is way faster than plywood or MDO and way less expensive. I paid $12 a sheet compared to $30-$60 a sheet for plywood or MDO. I only needed to Prime it once, useing a white spray paint primer made for plastic. Wood soaked in the primer and I always had to give 2-3 coats on front and the back. I painted it with semi gloss exterior house paints. Another nice thing is that it is fairly easy to cut with an exacto knife. Easier to follow lines compared to a jig saw or router. I still have some outlining and some touch up before I start on a frame. I am also going to attempt to put holes in the wreath and push led light threw them so the wreath has lights on it. Maybe leave a sting of lights hanging so it looks like Pluto took off with it. BIG THANKS to jrbryant and jarnaez for your input. Hopefully they will last outdoors longer than my plwood cut outs did! I guess we will see!

post-14765-0-04100600-1352762984_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Here are a couple pictures of my Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Coro Cut Outs.  I put the front and back pictures of each.  I used 3/4" pvc and fittings for the frame.  I found it to me easier that wood and PVC wont weather.  I used 1/2" conduit and clamps to fasten the conduit.  Far as screwing the cut outs to frame, I used 3/4" long tek screws made for screwing metal lath to wood.  The have a bigger washer type head on them (instead of adding a washer).  Then just hammer the conduit into the ground.  @ Bob, So far I have had no issues with wind or weathering and I live in the St. Louis area where it gets pretty windy.  They have been outside since the day after Thanksgiving.  Overall,  I am very satisfied with the results!!  I won't be going back to wood anytime soon.   Coro is cheaper, easier to cut and alot less coats of primer.  Now that I have had good results, I am looking forward to adding more and starting earlier for next years display.  Possibly a santa, sleigh and reindeer for the roof.  Also going to try animation with reindeer motors.

post-14765-0-57383700-1355870326_thumb.j

post-14765-0-38598700-1355870353_thumb.j

post-14765-0-85755500-1355870369_thumb.j

post-14765-0-03439400-1355870380_thumb.j

Edited by gopackgo1978

love the idea. I too an new to cutouts in coroplast and I must say I live in miami and they have held up pretty well in the sun and humidity down here. I am looking forward to add maybe a couple couple outs next year. Coro is cheap and easy to handle.

Well,  I found out today that coroplast does'nt hold up to 50 mile an hour winds.  I guess I should have braced them better.  Donalds head was bent over and so was Pluto.  The wind was so bad and the stakes in the ground were moving so much it created a bigger hole in the ground.  Causing them to almost take flight.  I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board on bracing better or back to wood next season.  We have had such good weather this year in St. Louis.  It could'nt have waited until after New Years?  We had 50 mile an hour gust today, I'm sure wood would have had issues in it also.  Bah Hum Bug!

I have always had to put a lot of bracing on the back side of my coro figures. especially arms and feet.  I think even with half inch plywood you would have had the stakes moving in the ground.  I use a lot of 5 ft t-posts to support my cutouts.  They don't do much movement in the ground.  Not at all like rebar and that type of posts.

• 1 month later...

Im curious how did you get the image onto the coro did you use a overhead projector or are you just that talented and drew them free hand please let me know because Im curious if you did use a projector where did you get the image from but overall you just made my decision for me too use coro rather than wood thanks for the post and they look great

• 4 weeks later...

Just a caution warning. Coroplast is made w/ the corogation running horizontal or vertical if when you are cutting out be sure the areas that may be the weakest such as the neck has the coro going vertical and it the cut out has long arms use the horizontal along with minimal bracing. should save some cutout lives.

Best of luck!

Happy Decorating