If I Go Led Do I Need New Controller Boxes?

Hello,

I have been using my Light-O-Rama controllers since 2006 and they have been working great.

Question: If I switch all of my lights to LED, will I need the latest generation of controllers? If so, I guess this year or next year will be my last year. Don't really want to replace everything.

Thanks.

The newest generation of controllers is supposed to have different dimming curves that you can set for designated channels that are LED vs Incandescent since LEDs dim differently than incans. However, if you are 100% LED, it doesn't really matter since everything will dim at the same rate. I haven't played with it yet, but once I convert my C9s to LEDs, I think this will be a very useful tool.

Thanks for the info. Lukily with my incans, I don't need to calculate loads as I only have about 4000 lights. :)

I do have one section of LED's that run a Merry Christmas banner. Sometimes after it fades, it does one final random flash. Don't know if its an issue with the banner itself or the fact that I'm running on an older controller box. Anyone else see this issue?

you may want to try a snubber for your sign it should help. also you could look into updateing you controllers firmware. not sur what some of the updates are but i know you would find your answer on there Forums.

Exactly what Mcas said. It can be as small as a single single C9 bulb. Just plug it into the same channel and the extra load will help the LEDs fade.

It appears if I am reading correctly you are still using incandescents? No LED yet? if this is the case, then the snubber won't change anything, and no need to add an additional C9 bulb. The incandescents are already accomplishing this feat anyway. So try the firmware upgrade first.

If your sign is already LED (does not seem that way from your post), then I would first go with a snubber/C9 light/glade air freshener plug-in at the end of the light board. Any of these will eat up the stored up electricity in the wire which will help the fade end properly.

As others have already stated - your controllers will work fine with incandescents or LED. My original LORs are Gen 1 - and they made the transition to LED fine. Moving to LED actually let me use more lights on the old/existing controllers without hitting the amp limits....win/win!

the thing I found wity mixing LED and regular lights is i had to adjust ever so slightly the sequences as the LED lights turn on instantly where the regular lights dont.. so it seemed like the sequences were 'off' a bit.. the regular average viewer wouldnt likely notice... if switching to all LED.. the alteration was easy as I either every so slightly padded the audio file or pulled a bit of the silence ofthe beginning as needed to bring the sequence back to near perfect..

-Christopher

Had similar issues with some older half wave lights. Placed a GLADE PLUG-IN at the end of the string and that eliminated the unwanted effect. Did not wish to put a C9 at the end as I felt (in my case) that it would detract from the display.

Doug

Had similar issues with some older half wave lights. Placed a GLADE PLUG-IN at the end of the string and that eliminated the unwanted effect. Did not wish to put a C9 at the end as I felt (in my case) that it would detract from the display.

Doug

Turns out I didn't need c9 lights. I just put a small string of incans on the same line as the LED's. In my case, the controller boxes are out of site (inside the garage) so I put the string of incans right where the extension cord plugs into the controller.

I must be missing something with the GLADE thing. Aren't those dangerous to use especially outdoors?

I have run 60000 LEDs with the Glade Plug Ins for 3 years now with no problems. As for your strobes, I am not sure you should be dimming them. I believe, as with the snowfall/blizzard tubes, they should be all on or all off. Fading will affect their longevity.

Also the new Gen3 controllers will work with your older controllers and old software. You just can't use the new lighting curves and other features until you upgrade to newer software, but those lighting curves eliminate the need for snubbers/plug ins.

Edited by Mwhite7097

I have run 60000 LEDs with the Glade Plug Ins for 3 years now with no problems. As for your strobes, I am not sure you should be dimming them. I believe, as with the snowfall/blizzard tubes, they should be all on or all off. Fading will affect their longevity.

Also the new Gen3 controllers will work with your older controllers and old software. You just can't use the new lighting curves and other features until you upgrade to newer software, but those lighting curves eliminate the need for snubbers/plug ins.

Negative. I don't dim the strobes. Know about that can cause issues.

I know a lot of people use them but plugging in a GLADE just seems unsafe. From what I understand is that if they are not used as directed, they can be a fire hazard. Guess I'm paranoid that way.

In any case, plugging in some lights worked for me.