I got excited for a little bit, then I saw the operating temp is only 50F for a low. It's well below that right now and I don't want to spend the money if they aren't going to work when it's cold outside. It would be nice to know if anyone else has used them below the 50F mark.

I am not sure what your budget is but I use 1 MP (1280x720) POE cameras from heivision.com , they run about $175 a piece and deliver a superb picture. You can either go with their DVR or just build an inexpensive box PC to act as a DVR, the DVR PC software comes with each camera. Have used them in all weather conditions and they work great with very good night vision. I am in Hawaii at the moment and check the streaming feed daily to check the 8 cameras around my house.

I got excited for a little bit, then I saw the operating temp is only 50F for a low. It's well below that right now and I don't want to spend the money if they aren't going to work when it's cold outside. It would be nice to know if anyone else has used them below the 50F mark.

You could always mount them inside, looking out a window as long as glare isn't an issue. Good enough to make me think about it. I'll be at Menards on Sunday to take inventory of their lights anyway. :P

walleyes

Actually I was looking at this one last night when I was searching. How is the night vision on this model with the cameras it comes with ? I take it that you have not had any problems with it. Can you also advise weather the cameras would mount under the eves or do they have to mount from the bottom or side?

Thanks for any additional info you can share on these questions.

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

walleyes

Actually I was looking at this one last night when I was searching. How is the night vision on this model with the cameras it comes with ? I take it that you have not had any problems with it. Can you also advise weather the cameras would mount under the eves or do they have to mount from the bottom or side?

Thanks for any additional info you can share on these questions.

Thanks

Wayne

The cameras mount under the eave.I did have 1 camera go bad...but my gutter cloged and the camera had a waterfall on it.The night vision is pretty good.One of the things i like about the cameras is they stay focused looking out through the display.....2 mega trees spinning around and lots of other movement.You can also mount the cameras from the bottom.Here`s some video from the cameras.I took the video with my cannon camera on a tripod aimed at my big screen tv.I have converted the video twice to different formats.The video is distorted a little.Its much better watching it live on the cameras.This should give you an idea.Hope this helps.

http://s55.beta.phot...1_x264.mp4.html

Edited by wallleyes
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using the generic 4 and 8 camera DVR sets you can get from Costco, BJ's and on eBay for years with little trouble. They are all made in China (isn't everything?) and while not perfect, they provide a usable level of security and are a great deterrent. 

My very best deterrent has been about a dozen "High Voltage" and "24-hour video surveillance" plastic signs from mcmaster-carr that I pin down flat in the lawn with nails. They are only visible if you are crossing into an area where you shouldn't be. I think high-voltage works best, nothing quite as scary as the thought, "hey, I might get electrocuted" running through a perp's head.