Wichita Area

Mel S.

We were 95% up Thanksgiving night. I tried something new this season. As I finished from the south sided of my display to the north I plugged in and tested almost every night. All was well till the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. I finished the 4 color on the ground outline on the north. So I thought I'd test. Everything was running delayed and then took so many errors it locked up the show. I worked till midnight to get six to eight controller back online. Thanksgiving day my son and I swapped controllers in and out and replaced rs485 chips in what we thought was the offending boxes. We were able to get everything up except two of my three 20' arches. Let it run till Saturday and was able to get the other acrhes up and running. I still need to build a couple of spiral trees minus one color (possible bad box), but everything looks pretty good right now. I've got that one of 19 boxes on the sideline and can't replace the rs485 chip because it was soldered instead of having a base to plug in a new chip. Whew! Hope to get around in the next few weeks. Good luck everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's displays while I'm home over Christmas.  I stopped by the McKinney's on Thanksgiving night - excellent as always!  (By the way, thanks for the advice on spiral trees last year!  I added one this year and am really like the effect.)

Is this map still up to date?  http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=101977624539399419490.00049477e8e4941d6aa29

-Matt

Good evening everyone!

I made it around to the displays this evening.  Well done everyone!  Very impressive.

Mel, your ribbon tree is very cool!  I really liked the santa icons and such that would show up during the song!  For some reason I think I missed your house last year, so glad I stopped by.

eagle, I enjoyed your show!  Thanks for reminding me with your address, I almost missed it.  Good job on the sequencing too!

I have a question if you don't mind me side-tracking the thread for a second (and stealing ideas):

eagle: How did you get your roof lights (the vertical lines on the roof) so straight and uniform?  I'm wanting to do something similar, but I'm trying to figure out an easy way to do it without spending much (if any) time on the roof. 

-Matt

When I first met Steve he emphasised the importance of straight lines, it will make or break your display. I purchased 21 - 12' long 2" square aluminum tubing. I drilled 3,000 3/8" holes and installed a rubber grommet in each hole. I cut a section of the bottom out so I could install the led m5 lights. I took 2" aluminum angle at the top and bottom to tie it all together. It's a bit overkill but I don't worry about it coming down or breaking. With the aluminum, lights, bolts and wire I've got maybe $700 in it. Come by during the day and look at it, it's easier to see.

Mark

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas.

We have been by everyone's displays and I have to say they all look great again this year. Love what you did with the CCR ribbons Mel. Steve's is over the top as usual. Saw the new one on Millwood and it looks great too. I wish we had 90000 lights here. Once again great work guys.

Dave.

(null)

Hi evryone.  Havent been to all the displays yet.  Still hoping to get  a chance. We did see a displayt in the 700 block of Golden HIlls in West Wichita.  Just north of central and west of Maize!  I think it is the one with the video above.  Looked Great!!!  

Hey everyone - haven't been on in a while.  I did make a trek south to the Wichita area and got as many as I could remember in.  I got Dave's, Mel's, Steve's, and Eagles.  I didn't get to the others here, but will get them on Saturday as that is my next day off.  

Show's running well up here in Hutch and steady but not crazy traffic - having a church parking lot across the street has been a HUGE benefit this year!

Already planning next year's display and will be very different.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

As usual I'm behind, but I did get around to see Dave's cool new trees, Mel's slick new RGB setup, and of course Eric's great wireframe band. I also went by the Marshall's display out east. Great job and great programming.  Fantastic job everyone. Who's already got those tear down blues. I'm so not looking forward to pulling down the lights and packing them away. I finally rented a camera and shot some video. I hope to get it up in the next few days. Later all!

I'm with you about the blues Steve. Our lights have now officially been off since 11:15 tonight and my mood has changed already. We decided to take everything down over the next two days just because the weather is going to be a little warmer.

How long until we start setting up again?

Dave

(null)

• 9 months later...

If anyone is willing, would like to visit your setup days, so that I can understand a little better how all this works.  Not sure I will do this year.  planned is 10,000 light static display, but I might like to try incorporate a piece of that as animated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like this was last years comments. I had about 95% up and running Thanksgiving nite. Seems like the same old song no matter how early I start or how long I work. We're as good as we get as of today. I'm dealing with the same odd channel hang ups that seem to plague folks with lots of A.L. boxes. I'm even having show lockups from time to time. Looks like my usual battle during the season. HO HO HO. You'all have a good one and I'll try to get by and see your shows. After all I might want to borrow and idea or two for next season. Have a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived