Repainting Using Model Paints...?

Got a couple molds I'm wanting to repaint (notably a Holiday Innovations Santa). Krylon Fusion and the Rust-Oleum plastic paint are available in my area, but not in a broad variety of colors.

Paints for plastic models (you know, like airplanes, cars and suchlike) are readily available however, in a vast array of colors.

What I'm wondering is - anyone tried using those to repaint a mold? They're suitable for *some* plastics, clearly - would they work on blowmolds?

Jason

Well, any Krylon paint will work it doesn't just have to the fusion paint. I know Wal-Mart has a pretty good selection of colors. I'm sure though the model paint will work, but I have brushed paint on before and have had brush strokes appear with the mold is lit, that just been my experiences.

Yes, blow molds almost always have to be airbrushed or spray painted. I have restored several blow molds in the past, most notable, a Union Pooh and Empire Train. My advice is to take the time to tape it off correctly, give it a light spray, and then recoat if necessary. Don't glob it on. I heard painting it with the light on helps, although, I have not tried this yet.

Anything you use a brush on will show brush strokes when lit.

Well, any Krylon paint will work it doesn't just have to the fusion paint. I know Wal-Mart has a pretty good selection of colors. I'm sure though the model paint will work, but I have brushed paint on before and have had brush strokes appear with the mold is lit, that just been my experiences.

I don't agree that ANY Krylon paint will work. If it is not for plastic eventually it will flake or peel off. I tried this and it happened within 1 year.

I don't agree that ANY Krylon paint will work. If it is not for plastic eventually it will flake or peel off. I tried this and it happened within 1 year.

Well people have different experiences with different products, I have had luck with using just the regular multi purpose Krylon paint on the few molds I painted.

Well people have different experiences with different products, I have had luck with using just the regular multi purpose Krylon paint on the few molds I painted.

I try to stick with the Krylon for Plastics, but have used other types for more color varieties. Most of my repaints are less than 2 years old, so we'll see how well they last!

Yes, blow molds almost always have to be airbrushed or spray painted. I have restored several blow molds in the past, most notable, a Union Pooh and Empire Train. My advice is to take the time to tape it off correctly, give it a light spray, and then recoat if necessary. Don't glob it on. I heard painting it with the light on helps, although, I have not tried this yet.

Anything you use a brush on will show brush strokes when lit.

I have painted several with the light on, and it really does help! You can spot the thicker and thinner areas right away.

I have repaired a couple all ready and have used the Fusion as well as model paint. Both work well and light up the mold when you are painting, its the best way if you can. I did it first without the light and boy did I miss some spots. :-) Never brush unless you know light will not go through that part or you will see the strokes.

Go slow, give the paint time to dry, and go thin coats. Oh yeah... rubbing it down with alcohol before you paint is a good thing too. Takes a lot of the crud off. Rememeber paint doesn't like the oil from your skin.

Have fun and rememeber if you screw up you can just take the paint of with stripper. I use the stuff that smells like oranges.