Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
WhatSnow?

Electrical Problem

First year for animation and I have a problem.

My lights keep dimming in my house during a sequence.

All my computer UPS units keep turning on and off also.

Stats.

Just under 25 amps of lights.

1 lor controller.

Lights fed from a temporary sub panel in the yard. This is feed via a 50 amp receptacle installed next to the main panel. In between each is 6 gauge so type rubber cord.

House has a 200 amp service, brand new main panel (I just replaced it)

Is this something to do with the power company? Incoming voltage is 118.

Since the power company will most likely not do anything is there a way to smooth this out? Can I add some sort of capacitors?

Oh and its tweeking out the gf, so fix would be good.

This is odd considering your display only pulls 25 amps max. I push 150 amps on my display for a 200 amps service. Going from "all off" to "all on" definitely dims our lights inside a little, but it's still barely enough to notice. I'm not sure what could cause this.

I'm very good with electrical and I'm confused about this also. 25 amps is not that much. But as I type this I can here the light bulb in the lamp behind me making noise.

I was thinking bad controller? Is it even possible.

The power company is a pita, so I don't even know where to start with them. Bad transformer or voltage regulator? The service is underground so I hope there is nothing wrong with it. All the lugs in the meter pan are tight. I re-torqued them when I replaced the panel.

Edited by WhatSnow?

Did they disconnect service at the road when you replaced the panel? Maybe they've got a bad connection somewhere.

I'd call them to check the service up to your meter. It's their responsibility to ensure their service works, I'd just keep calling them and complaining.

Edited by rgroves

Did they disconnect service at the road when you replaced the panel? Maybe they've got a bad connection somewhere.

I'd call them to check the service up to your meter. It's their responsibility to ensure their service works, I'd just keep calling them and complaining.

I pulled the meter out when I replaced the panel. The meter pan is unchanged and so is the underground cable. The service was 200 amps The house just had a 20 space panel, I replaced it with a 40ckt sqd. (with a legal interlock for the generator) While I was in the meter pan I re-torqued the lugs, cleaned the prongs on the meter and coated them with nolox when I put it back in.

Where is the feed for the 50 amp receptacle connected inside your main panel?

The 50 amp receptacle is connected to a 50 amp breaker in the panel. The are right next to each other.

I'd have the electric comp come and check the connections on THEIR side of the meter.

If you know you've done all your connections correctly, then hopefully it's a problem on their side of things. :P

I would check the voltage when you are exprecning the problem, 25A load can drop the voltage. How far is your power company transformer from your house ?, if your only getting 118V at your panel, this could be the problem, what is the voltage at your 50A connection ? Your UPS are going to drop when they see a voltage drop, that how they protect your items plugged in to them.