Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mneville

Generating Traffic

How do all of you generate traffic for your display? We have had a 17,000 light static display that generated decent traffic on its own for a few years now. So this year we pulled the trigger on 32 channels, and bumped up to almost 30k lights.

Problem is, we seem to have LESS traffic this year then in years past - and when I say less, I mean like one or two cars a night! We have a Facebook page (new for this year), a large "Tune To" sign with a spotlight on it, and seem to have generated pretty good word-of-mouth. My wife and I were introduced by a friend at a Christmas parade last week as being "from Watts Up Crestview" - so the name is out there.

My fear is that being our first year accepting donations on behalf of the Special Olympics, we will fall flat.

So, what are the best ways that you have found to generate traffic?

Media attention is #1. See if the local newspaper would want to do a story on your display and how you are raising money for charity. Some displays that get TV attention can actually get too much traffic.

I also send around an email at work to advertise my display and my family tells everyone they know. Facebook has been huge because people take pics and then post them on their Facebook pages and then even more people see it.

Our first year was about the same as you but our local news paper did a story about us last year and this is our 3rd year and i'm getting conerned because we probably get a few hundred cars a night and what my neighbors are thinking cuz a few times they have had trouble getting in and out.

So I guess my point is be careful about to much advertising !!

Guess were never happy (LOL)

here is the thing if you build it they will come.... traffic will pick up normally in the last 2 weeks before christmas... that is when most people get tons of traffic and the most donations to their charities... or at least when we do... myself this past weekend we had a hour and 10 minutes to get to our display traffic was super backed up... so be careful for what u ask for... we have 3 houses linked to music.. over 200000 lights and let me tell you we have went through 10k candy canes in one week... it is alot of work and alot of stress on our neighbors... i had one yelling at me the other night because he wanted to drive through to see our display and he lives 3 houses past our last house we animate... and when he passed he was yelling and saying alot of choice words. because he sat in traffic for so long... so it takes time to get it going but after it has taken off ... look out...

here is the thing if you build it they will come.... traffic will pick up normally in the last 2 weeks before christmas... that is when most people get tons of traffic and the most donations to their charities... or at least when we do... myself this past weekend we had a hour and 10 minutes to get to our display traffic was super backed up... so be careful for what u ask for... we have 3 houses linked to music.. over 200000 lights and let me tell you we have went through 10k candy canes in one week... it is alot of work and alot of stress on our neighbors... i had one yelling at me the other night because he wanted to drive through to see our display and he lives 3 houses past our last house we animate... and when he passed he was yelling and saying alot of choice words. because he sat in traffic for so long... so it takes time to get it going but after it has taken off ... look out...

So true I stopped entering things the traffic is the most it's been in 5 years my neighbors have not said anything yet, but I can feel it coming lol...

A good way to get the word out is to ask your local shops if you can put up a flyer explaining that the show is sequenced to muisc and it can be seen at this address, if its good enough then word of mouth will do the rest

A very true statement, I have to do road management every night due to the volumes or cars that come through, and not all neighbours are going to appreciate all that extra traffic so you also have to be a diplomat with your neighbours to try and get them on side.

media attention has been the death nail of many a grand display, use local means and word of mouth

After reading all of your replies, I am almost considering just leaving well enough alone. We have good word of mouth, the Facebook page is starting to get more attention, and we've seen a slight increase in traffic over the last few days. Being a small town, we have a small newspaper that I may contact and leave it at that.

While I could only wish for hundreds of cars a night, living on a short cul-de-sac does present that slippery slope - I can see it being a benefit and a nightmare at the same time.

Thanks for all of your input!

I kinda feel the same as mneville. I also would like more traffic for our display. i want to start to raise money for charity but haven't taken on that role yet. But like someone said above, be carefull what you wish for. That kinda makes me nervous.

...I have to do road management every night due to the volumes or cars that come through...

I'll turn off the lights before I do traffic management or have cars wait to see the show - that's takes all of the joy out of it. You may want to shorten your show.

After reading all of your replies, I am almost considering just leaving well enough alone. We have good word of mouth, the Facebook page is starting to get more attention, and we've seen a slight increase in traffic over the last few days. Being a small town, we have a small newspaper that I may contact and leave it at that.

While I could only wish for hundreds of cars a night, living on a short cul-de-sac does present that slippery slope - I can see it being a benefit and a nightmare at the same time.

Thanks for all of your input!

I live in a small town (~2,500 population). I do not want the publicity because I can't be home every night to babysit the traffic. Though, this week I received an email from the Leechburg High School newspaper. They want to add a story about the show... (the house is 1 block away from the school). I have no problem with this, because people already know about this locally. But, I would deny any other media attempts because of the traffic issues it could create :)

This year I doubled my facebook page likes and my traffic has been steady since. Here is how I did it.

1. Make a good video of your display. Make sure the audio and video quality are top notch.

2. Post the video on your facebook page asking your fans to share it.

3. Promote the post on facebook, this will almost guarantee that all of your Facebook fans will see the post in their feed. I chose to promote to fans only because friends of fans seem to get me a lot of junk likes.

4. Make sure you have a commercial in between your songs that says something like "Thanks for stopping by, please find us on facebook by searching for Christmas On Sunset.......blah blah blah" etc etc

When I did this I had over 300 shares and according to facebook there was an estimated 143,000 people who "could have: seen my video on facebook. In 2 weeks I received 400 new likes and my traffic has been steady ever since.

Good Luck

I'll turn off the lights before I do traffic management or have cars wait to see the show - that's takes all of the joy out of it. You may want to shorten your show.

Actually its the opposite, its a lot of fun as my road loops back but is a single lane through the back section, so i divert all the cars one way down the street, after they see the show they then come past the road block all amazed and more than happy to donate and have a chat. So its not really a chore at all. But it can be difficult when there is a line up of 50+ cars that loop around the block, thankfully its not always backed up like that but I expect it to be like that for most of next week.

My show consists of only a 4:40 minute muisic mix sequence with a 40 second voice over which just repeats, so really cant make the show much shorter or else there really isnt a show. It all about trying to manage the volumes of cars coming through, I can easily get well over 200 cars come through in under 2 hours in a small suburban street, so that needs managing or else kaos will ensue and then i will have my neighbours off side and if that happens then the joy goes from putting on the display, but all the neighbours in my street are supportive because i am out there evey night ensuring everything runs fine and trying my hardest to minimise the impact my show puts on them by being in constant communication with them.

Also one great advantage is that we have a summer Christmas (in Australia) so being outside is actually a pleasurable thing at this time of the year. and my show doesnt start until 8:15pm when it starts to get dark here, so really only 2 to 3 hours of show time. But I dont think i would be as keen if i was in the US during the cold winter.

This year I doubled my facebook page likes and my traffic has been steady since. Here is how I did it.

1. Make a good video of your display. Make sure the audio and video quality are top notch.

2. Post the video on your facebook page asking your fans to share it.

3. Promote the post on facebook, this will almost guarantee that all of your Facebook fans will see the post in their feed. I chose to promote to fans only because friends of fans seem to get me a lot of junk likes.

4. Make sure you have a commercial in between your songs that says something like "Thanks for stopping by, please find us on facebook by searching for Christmas On Sunset.......blah blah blah" etc etc

When I did this I had over 300 shares and according to facebook there was an estimated 143,000 people who "could have: seen my video on facebook. In 2 weeks I received 400 new likes and my traffic has been steady ever since.

Good Luck

This is great - looks to be exactly what we are trying to accomplish! I do have someone coming out to take HD video this weekend and video clips were on the agenda for the FB page. Our voiceovers do mention the page, and I will probably amend the "Tune To" sign to include it as well. I should probably add more voiceovers - right now we have three in a 20-minute show.

Just as a few of you got me nervous as to the double-edged sword that is traffic volume and I was becoming content with what we get, we got a call from the newspaper this morning - and I hadn't decided whether or not to contact them yet. Our word of mouth must be decent, they are sending someone out tonight to run a story on us! Fortunately, our neighbors are supportive, but I may have more conversations with them in regards to what this publicity may bring...

i had to start a new facebook page and yesterday i started it at 3pm.. and as of 3 pm today already 856 likes... if you build a nice display, the traffic will come.. if u don't they won't .. simply put.. we have people coming from different states to see the display. which is cool, but this is also our 7th year.. it takes time and you won't blow everyone out of the water with traffic your first couple of years.. just saying

We started up a Facebook page which has been unbelievable for generating interest. because it was our first year doing, LoR, we weren't sure would it all work, what if it didn't, etc etc and kept it generally quiet to ourselves until unveling night.

I put the page up on Monday evening at 7pm, and we have 299 likes now which isn't massive, but word is getting around :)

I would also support the contacting media etc we haven't done that because we're actually getting good enough crowds at night, but it'd certainly not be any harm if you want to increase your support!

Good luck :)

this year speaking of traffic, we have had 1 hour and 20 minute waits to get to our house, we have been approached by the mayor of our town and he is helping out by making the road we live on a one way street for now till the day after christmas... to alleviate some of the traffic confusion, we are getting so much traffic, there are people on both sides of the road for as far as you can see, the problem is one car pulls our and takes off in the center of the road, because both sides are packed, and another car will be coming down in the center, so then it gridlocks till someone else moves... seems like we have had a more than normal amount of senior citizens, not that that is a bad thing, but it seems like they get confused as to what to do whenever they are gridlocked, and we have to go help them get back into line to get out a bit smoother... and we don't want any bad things to happen to anyone... so like i said earlier, be careful for what you wish for as far as traffic goes.....

this year speaking of traffic, we have had 1 hour and 20 minute waits to get to our house, we have been approached by the mayor of our town and he is helping out by making the road we live on a one way street for now till the day after christmas...

Holly cow Jason, you must be getting quite the draw from St. Louis if you live in that small of a town.

May I ask a tag-along question?

My home is located through a gate, down a 300' road and then a circular drive at the end (think of the shape of a magnifying glass). We are the only house through the gate BUT the road is a single-car drive. So we keep the gates closed and make people park and walk. 

Is that mean? We certainly would like a few more people to see our display, because its not like people can just accidentally drive past, but any more than one or two cars at a time would be bad for us. 

here is the thing if you build it they will come....

Never have truer words been spoken - or typed...

Patience was the key.  With the Facebook page and article in the local paper, traffic ramped up considerably.  The nice part about living on a cul de sac is that we discovered we can fit eight cars directly in front with five more waitiing while still allowing the neighbors access. 

We didn't have many waiting as long as some of you all, but I think I took the proper precautions.  2 minute songs, just over 20 minute show, and parked so anyone could leave at any time.  Only had one instance of someone not able to get in their driveway - and that was me!

Thanks for all of the input - it worked out and I couldn't be happier.