Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
lightsofillinois

Am I Just Abnormal- Losing Intrest

This is our 12th year, and every year we say we are going to downsize, but it never happens.  her it is 12-28, jus tgot everything dry from 2 inches of rain, hoped to start take down tomorrow, but rain again tonight.

I am looking for a change, CHRISTmas was 350 inflatables, lots of lights, not sure what next year holds, but there will be a daisplay, if all goes well, I will retire next December, have more time to get the display up.

working 4-5 hours every night and 12-16 hours Saturday and Sunday to get everything up will tire you out for sure.

But we do love doing it, and there will be folks driving by and stopping every day until the last inflatable is boxed away.

This was the first year we took donations, we were able to help a family some and take care of most of our electric bill.

Anyhows, a belated Merry CHRISTmas and a Happy New Year.

I agree with many responses above.

- Who cares what other people are doing. Do what makes you happy, and hopefully (and likely) that will make others happy too.

- I've been doing this a long time. 10 years computer-animated this season. About 3 more of what I'd consider a 'large' display, and about 5 before that where others still considered us the 'big Christmas display in the neighborhood". I've never, ever cared about what other displays are doing. I might borrow (steal?) ideas from them. I might decide I don't like it, and will do something different. But I've never, ever cared about being the biggest or the most popular.

- Somone above mentioned that nobody takes pictures of animated displays. I would argue that's because many people program their animated displays with hardly anything going on at any given time. We have dozens of people taking pics of our display each season.

- I'm not sure what "it's too commercial" means in this context. Too many lights? Too many blinking lights? RGB lights? Pop songs being programmed? Whatever it is to you, then make sure that your display isn't like that.

This hobby is expensive, tiring at times, and a time-sink. If you don't love it, than it's ok to leave it. Most of us start getting crazy ideas about what we're going to do next year, because seeing everyting working and people jazzed up coming to see the display makes them happy.

I'm curious why the police are there every night?

I turn on most of my light on between each song while Elf is doing my voice overs, plenty of time to take any pictures... just sayin'

It seems like the novelty is wearing off for many people as I see more and more controllers and displays sold each year. Many people are going through the same problems for some of the same reasons. Maybe it's the right time to move into more static display and scale down "the light show". A few nice ideas for static elements were posted this season on the boards. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Couple of thoughts on your initial post, after viewing your video.  You have plenty of opportunity to improve on what you have.  I am not bashing your display, but things in everyone's display, except those elite few, could always be cleanded up.  If you are done with the display, then you are done.  Instead of packing your stuff away, you can sell it.  As you noted, there are plenty of people out there who are getting into what is becoming a year round hobby.

i've been doing lights now for about 6 years, nothing to big, started with one controller like everyone else.  Every year it gets a little bigger and my neighbors, with and without kids stop by while i'm putting up my lights and tell me how much they enjoyed last years show and ask what i'm planning this year(i change it up a little everyyear). Since I started puttng up my lights even my neighbore have stepped it up soom (it's infectious).   Two years ago I purchased the Santa video from ChristmasLightShow.com and ran it in the window.  It whas a huge hit with everybody but one thing i don't think i will every forget is when a man stopped by in his truck, parked it along the curb and got out. At his side was his young daughter about 4 or 5 years old, she was so excited to see the display but when she noticed the Santa in the window she lite up and told her daddy "look it's Santa!"  They stayed for a bite and watched the show and when dad decided it was time to leave he picked up his little girl and as they walked away i heard her say " Goodbye Santa!"    And that's why i do my lights. 

i've been doing lights now for about 6 years, nothing to big, started with one controller like everyone else.  Every year it gets a little bigger and my neighbors, with and without kids stop by while i'm putting up my lights and tell me how much they enjoyed last years show and ask what i'm planning this year(i change it up a little everyyear). Since I started puttng up my lights even my neighbore have stepped it up soom (it's infectious).   Two years ago I purchased the Santa video from ChristmasLightShow.com and ran it in the window.  It whas a huge hit with everybody but one thing i don't think i will every forget is when a man stopped by in his truck, parked it along the curb and got out. At his side was his young daughter about 4 or 5 years old, she was so excited to see the display but when she noticed the Santa in the window she lite up and told her daddy "look it's Santa!"  They stayed for a bite and watched the show and when dad decided it was time to leave he picked up his little girl and as they walked away i heard her say " Goodbye Santa!"    And that's why i do my lights. 

THAT is too precious! The funny thing is my nieghbors LOVE it too! I'm not as big as some people here with my set up,but I've had adults come over and take pictures with the inflatables. The parents LOVE Halloween and take pics with their kids. If you don't love it, you at least know someone else enjoys your work. Sometimes it's just fun to put up all the stuff and feel like a kid too. I had a broken ankle and STILL got my stuff outside. It was not a easy task!

To each of you posting in this thread. Thank you for all the heart felt feeling that went into the post. some more touching that others. I wanted to take just a moment to share why I am starting to feed my addition called Christmas. It may remind some of us why we do this. Its not meant to be a sob story or to hi-jack the thread..

I grew up in a very very violent home with much abuse and destruction. My things were broken within an hour of receiving them as a gift, even from people outside my home environment. I was mentally broken and messed up most of my child hood. Christmas was an invitation for more violence.. However, staring at the twinkling of the lights, gazing at the house without my step father seeing me, seeing other people happy at Christmas time, the cartoons, the decorations and the entire aurora of Christmas (some see it as commercialized) gave me a hope that something more was there. That happiness was attainable, even if not how.. so I kept looking at the lights every year hoping... dreaming... so each one of you putting up those lights when I was a kid gave me the hope that when I grew up and I had my own family, we could be happy.. Never more has that been more true. I have a beautiful wife, three children and 5 grandchildren and wouldn't give it up for all the Christmas lights in the world. Now I have been doing static display's and the 4 channel home depot brands for years and wanted to make it more this time.. Moving to LOR. If I get a single child that plasters their little face against the car window, or they glance at my display and have the same feeling of hope I did, then my time, all hours, days and months of planning and work was worth it. They may be blessed like I have been. So to each of you feeling the burn out.. Know that people like me needed people like you.. now I hope to be the one they need and live up to it.. So thank you to each...

Edited by Sidetrack73

I did all my yard decor yesterday and I will be honest and admit that I felt very unmotivated about it plus my back bothered me the rest of the day. In a sense I think some people will enjoy seeing it. I know if I didn't put it up I'd feel bummed I didn't when we got significant snow. :)

I was able to put our lights this year and we go live Wednesday weather permitting.  I am still looking for that one little dreamer, that one little me with his/her face plastered at the Window as they drive by. And this year my little one got to help with the layout/design and some sequencing.  I know you can get down when this world is the way it is. Its far harder to keep the spirit of Christmas then to accept the same world others are but each of us gives a little hope to others... each of you gave me hope to push forward and go ahead and do Christmas in my yard not knowing if we will be in this house or not come Christmas... still gotta get it up!

I use to have 3/4 acre and displayed 30,00 lights.a lot of cut outs mega tree before it was common place.

We had buses with seniors come by and had tears in their eyes thanking us for making their Christmas for them.

We gave out up to 2000 candy canes a night. We even gave out dog biscuts to the peoples puppies.

It was tiring but it was great remembering the faces and the thank yous.

We now have a small yard but we will fill it with christmas cheer this year..