How Many Deer?

shannie

I think I may have seen this discussed here before, but I'm not sure it had it's own thread.

My whole (almost 37 years) life I thought santa had 8 tiny reindeer plus Rudolph, to make 9 deer pulling the sleigh.

Well, last night we watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and noticed that santa had 6 deer plus Rudolph. Then, on the way into work this morning I heard Little Saint Nick, and they sing about half a dozen deer with Rudy in the lead. What?!

Did Santa drop 2 of his Reindeer when he hired Rudolph? So that there were 7 on that stormy night?

What do you guys think?

How do you set up your sleigh and reindeer?

I've always been doing 4 sets of 2 and then Rudolph out front...

I thinks its 9 total. I think there names are

Dasher

Dancer

Prancer

Vixen

Comet

Cupid

Donner

Blitzen

Rudolph

the eight deer were from a poem in the early to mid 1800s then in 1939ish the song rudolph the red nose reindeer became a hit and they added him to the team. I thimk so anyway.

Well, last night we watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and noticed that santa had 6 deer plus Rudolph. Then, on the way into work this morning I heard Little Saint Nick, and they sing about half a dozen deer with Rudy in the lead. What?!

Did Santa drop 2 of his Reindeer when he hired Rudolph? So that there were 7 on that stormy night?

What do you guys think?

How do you set up your sleigh and reindeer?

I've always been doing 4 sets of 2 and then Rudolph out front...

In the Rankin/Bass animagic Rudolph special, the Japanese animators found it easier to simply animate just the six deer. In subsequent R/B specials the animators really honed their craft and you see all eight.

I believe that Donner's original name was Donder. I believe that was in the original Twas the Night Before Christmas, which originally had a different title but I can't think of what it was...

In "A visit from St.Nicholas " Donner and Blitzen are originally named "Dunder" and "Blixem" which are rooted in the german words for thunder and lighting.

In the Rankin/Bass animagic Rudolph special, the Japanese animators found it easier to simply animate just the six deer. In subsequent R/B specials the animators really honed their craft and you see all eight.

In "A visit from St.Nicholas " Donner and Blitzen are originally named "Dunder" and "Blixem" which are rooted in the german words for thunder and lighting.

"And now you know..... The REST of the story."

sorry... couldn't resist ;)