Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Buckeyelights

Fyi: Major Storm With High Winds Headed To Midwest

Rains that trip GFI's are a nuisance, but from the sound of this storm, it could severly damage some displays, especially the high winds. This is cut 'n pasted from AccuWeather:

A powerful storm heads toward the Midwest, and threatens to disrupt travel.

Updated: 12/17/2012.

AccuWeather

A powerful storm will take aim on the Midwest during the second half of the week and threatens to bring travel disruptions, damage and power outages.

Cities in the path of one or more aspects of the storm include Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis, Des Moines, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Louisville, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

The most widespread aspect of the storm will be high winds sweeping eastward spanning Thursday and Friday. Gusts in the neighborhood of 50 to 60 mph are possible from the eastern Plains to the Appalachians.

There is the potential for gusts to near hurricane-force in the vicinity of the Great Lakes later Thursday into Friday.

Winds of this strength have can bring downed trees, power outages, truck roll overs and major flight delays.

The high winds will accompany a dramatic change to cold weather. While this change will be brief over part of the central Plains and Tennessee Valley, it can bring a rapid freezeup to part of the Upper Midwest and a major lake-effect snow event.

Even a small amount of snow preceded by rain can quickly freeze, making for a commuting nightmare Thursday afternoon and evening around Chicago and Milwaukee and Thursday night around Detroit.

The storm will bring blizzard conditions from portions of Kansas to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Senior Meteorologist Kristina Pydynowski has more on the snow in "Denver to Green Bay Snowstorm in the Works."

Bands of heavy lake-effect snow and snow squalls accompanied by the high winds will also lead to white-out conditions downwind of the Great Lakes as the storm pulls away Friday into Saturday.

The storm will also have dramatic weather effects in the South and the Northeast.

A severe weather outbreak is possible in the South in keeping with tradition over recent years during December.

The storm will pull warm air northward ahead of a strong cold front and powerful winds in the upper levels of the atmosphere.

Violent storms with damaging winds are possible in the South. Thunderstorms can accompany the frontal passage in the Midwest and Northeast as well.

Strong south-to-southeasterly winds ahead of the front can bring coastal flooding problems in New England. The storm has the potential to bring flooding downpours and travel delays along the East Coast later Thursday into Friday.

Powerful winds in the wake of the front Friday into Saturday can also lead to flight delays and minor power outages along the East Coast. Heavy snow is also a possibility from northern upstate New York to northern Maine.

One positive aspect of the storm and others in the recent past and possibly on deck is the moisture aspect for part of the needy upper Mississippi Valley. For example, enough moisture falling over the Illinois River Basin could help to stabilize the Mississippi River at St. Louis in the short term.

Uh Oh...doesn't the world end on Friday? :blink: It's coming! :ph34r:

Seriously though...that kind of description of a storm is a little worrisome.  That 6 foot sail on top of my roof, better known as my holdman star, has me a bit worried now. :unsure:  Btw, this whole naming winter storms is new.  This one's name is Draco.

Edited by vkjohnson

Any Suggestions as what to do with my 16' inflatable Santa???????????

Sound like he may leave before Dec. 24!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, speaking of storms... I've never had ANY problems with GFCI's trip.  But today, for the FIRST TIME, 6 1/2 hours of rain made me shut the show down.  Everything was working well thru my earlier tests in the afternoon while it was raining but I gave up after 4 and 5 outlets kept popping :(  Rather have snow than all this darn rain!

Well, speaking of storms... I've never had ANY problems with GFCI's trip.  But today, for the FIRST TIME, 6 1/2 hours of rain made me shut the show down.  Everything was working well thru my earlier tests in the afternoon while it was raining but I gave up after 4 and 5 outlets kept popping :(  Rather have snow than all this darn rain!

Amen to that!!!!    I've never had this much problems with GFI's as this year.....But  I also don't remember having this much rain

"Cmon SNOW or Colder Temps"  But no High winds   (don't want much do I) :P  

I have a dozen angels that I made using coro for their wings, they're likely to blow up right back to heaven.

saves on tear down :) just right back to heaven they go. I had my 9' tree blow over two days ago dunno if it was kids, wind or someone telling me to rebuild it because there is high winds in the forecast   

Well my tree blew over again. I have had it for 3 years and never had it blow over. Also all my lights on my roof blew off. Im debating on thowing in the towel or fixing it all in time for Christmas

Yep, had to bite the bullet and take down my coro workshop tonight...I think if I'd left it overnight, it would have been gone by the morning.  It is secured with 6ft steel stakes pounded into the ground, but the soft ground from rain + wind was causing problems.  Hopefully the winds will die down and I can get it back out over the weekend.

Edited by millh0use

Wind gusts around here in central Illinois have been reported between 50 and 60 mph.  Still howling more than ever right now, and the snow has moved in.  Nothing in my display was affected until about an hour ago when all the icicles on one side of the house fell off at once.  I didn't even expect those to be a problem.  My 17 foot megas and holdman star (on top of the 2 story roof) are still holding up fine.  Go figure that one out.  All my roof line lights are fine too, but I really beefed them up after they blew off once last year.  Best of luck to everyone.  I really couldn't be more pleased, considering the circumstances.

Edited by vkjohnson

Just go in from repair and re-supporting some items.  50+ mph gusts of wind are tough with rain softened soil. Wind toppled by choir, risers and all. The wind pulled up four 2x2 wood stakes that anchored the risers down.  Fortunately none of the choir peeps or angel were damaged.  One lost her head, but it didn't go far.  Also toppled over a  10' tree, a simple metal pole and metal base ring held down with "J" shaped hooks; I wasn't too suprised one of them went over, the other 7 doing fine. The star did break off, minor item, but it'll be tough little fix.  Thanks to the help of my wife who was freezing and my son, we were able to get everything back in place.

Mother Nature can be tough when she gets cranky.

10:03 pm.....holdman star goes down with a bang.  :(    Darn.  almost made it through.  

This horrible blizzard causing damage is reminding me of The Day After Tomorrow movie when the world was said to be ending too.

Wind gusts around here in central Illinois have been reported between 50 and 60 mph.  Still howling more than ever right now, and the snow has moved in.  Nothing in my display was affected until about an hour ago when all the icicles on one side of the house fell off at once.  I didn't even expect those to be a problem.  My 17 foot megas and holdman star (on top of the 2 story roof) are still holding up fine.  Go figure that one out.  All my roof line lights are fine too, but I really beefed them up after they blew off once last year.  Best of luck to everyone.  I really couldn't be more pleased, considering the circumstances.
How did you beef up your roof line. I need to look at a different way for next year along with re-engineering the tree.

At 10:30 me and my wife were out there saving Santa ,,,,,,,,,Our 16' inflatable was on the move the ground os soooo soft the 12" long rebar just pulled out of the ground fortunatly the rest of the display is still in place.....but we still have high winds today. Keeping my fingers and (toes) crossed.

Had a couple of cheap candy canes blown away - should be floating down the Ohio river by now. ;) Both megatrees survived due to having pounded a few dozen rebar 'stakes' in around the ring beforehand. Had one strand break that night and trip a GFI, but nothing of mayan apocolypse proportions. All the roof lights were intact due to having them weighted down on one end (1/2' rebar inside 3/4" pvc pipe) and that mess lashed down to the gutter straps.

Edited by Flanigan

Here in Ohio and I've been busy putting my lights and other stuff back that mother nature rearranged for me. Still waiting to try and resurect my 16' Santa still tooooo much wind, hopefully tomorrow when and if the winds die down and if I can get it up form under our Christmas Snow.

We had the wind, at least gusts to 55, didn't lose anything but somehow the Holdman Star got turned a little bit.  Still not sure how because we had guy wires and rebar pounded into the ground and bent over the metal base.  At one point it was rocking so we ran out and stuck another guy wire up higher. 

That storm was the bane of me.  Took out several of my candy cane's as breaking them off at the stakes.  Also toppled my mega tree.  Breaking the PVC's ring.  I went out the next day to stand it back up, only to find that it had UNSCREWED the tree from the portable hole.  Yes I used pipe wrenchs to secure it.  So needless to say, the mega tree is done for the year.