Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

Fasteddys 2012 Rgb Light Show

Here is a video of this years effort which is 100% RGB lighting (except for the strobes)

The display is approx 10000 channels of RGB lighting control. The display is made up of a mix of intelligent and dumb RGB pixels and is mainly made up of 12vdc RGB strip

https://vimeo.com/55705124

Really nice, I loved your mega tree what program did you use to do that?  Also are those CCR's or something else??

Really nice, I loved your mega tree what program did you use to do that?  Also are those CCR's or something else??

i used Minleons LightShow Pro V2.5.

They are CCR imitations, same channel count and voltage but have better dimming ability than the CCR as they are 8 bit. The strips cost $32 for a 5 metre strip, they are the 2811 IC. The controller is a ECG-P12R which is $175. The tree costs under $1000 to build so not bad at all for the impact it gives.

i used Minleons LightShow Pro V2.5.

They are CCR imitations, same channel count and voltage but have better dimming ability than the CCR as they are 8 bit. The strips cost $32 for a 5 metre strip, they are the 2811 IC. The controller is a ECG-P12R which is $175. The tree costs under $1000 to build so not bad at all for the impact it gives.

So, Here come the dumb questions.....How many strips did you use for your tree?  If my math is correct 5metres should be approx 17ft is that correct?  I live in the midwestern part of the US and we have cold very wet weather around Christmas would these strips  short out ? I see Ray Wu say there water proof but on the LOR forum I read of a lot of issues with the CCR's with corosion etc. due to use in wet weather. I'm using LOR to sequence now, if i got LSP and did the sequencing there for the RGB strips could I export to LOR from LSP? The controller looks like just the board do you need something to put it in to keep it water proof dou you need more than 1 board to do say only the tree? How did you support your strips?

Guess thats all for now, thank you in advance

So, Here come the dumb questions.....How many strips did you use for your tree?  If my math is correct 5metres should be approx 17ft is that correct?  I live in the midwestern part of the US and we have cold very wet weather around Christmas would these strips  short out ? I see Ray Wu say there water proof but on the LOR forum I read of a lot of issues with the CCR's with corosion etc. due to use in wet weather. I'm using LOR to sequence now, if i got LSP and did the sequencing there for the RGB strips could I export to LOR from LSP? The controller looks like just the board do you need something to put it in to keep it water proof dou you need more than 1 board to do say only the tree? How did you support your strips?

Guess thats all for now, thank you in advance

I am using 12 strips which I have 2 connected together per output of the P12R controller. The strip is 16.4 feet long

The strips are the same construction and coating as the CCR, water can get in if the end seal is not good, its easy to improve this by adding some silicone to the ends to ensure there is a good seal.

The P12R is designed to be put in your own box with an appropriate power supply, so this is your choice on how you mount it

LSP can export to LOR but its not perfect with sometimes weird results occuring. you could just use superstar with LOR because in the end superstar wont know its not a CCR because the channel count is the same per strip

I am only using 6 outputs for the tree and 1 output for the star, so I have 5 spare outputs/universes which i use for other things or have as spares.

GMAC I think the ones they are talking about getting water into is like...the ones I have :-(  They have the 3m sticky back to them. The ones fasteddy is using is almost like a tube and the ends are the only thing that is open.

Eddy...now my turn for questions ;-) Very nice show by the way. I have been looking at your site for directions while very, very, very slowly making the move to RGB.

Is there a reason for you choosing the controller you are using for your strips? I see so many different ones, including the little "block" that Ray sells on his site .

What are you using for your dumb pixels to control those?  I was going to order some more of these from Ray, (have one now) but have heard some bad things on a few from him.

Do you have any suggestions on water proofing the strips that are with the 3m sticky backs? I am afraid that I see a few strips that are getting dimmer...which makes me worry some water is getting in there. I have had these up since the middle of Oct. and it has been pretty dry...until the end of Nov. rolled around. Now we get several heavy down pours a week. 

I found some of the "tube" dumb strips (and some of the smart strips). Are there other sources I should be looking at?

Sorry for all the questions. Saw this thread (and your video)....and just gets me excited about getting into the RGB scene in full form :-)

Robert

GMAC I think the ones they are talking about getting water into is like...the ones I have :-(  They have the 3m sticky back to them. The ones fasteddy is using is almost like a tube and the ends are the only thing that is open.

Eddy...now my turn for questions ;-) Very nice show by the way. I have been looking at your site for directions while very, very, very slowly making the move to RGB.

Is there a reason for you choosing the controller you are using for your strips? I see so many different ones, including the little "block" that Ray sells on his site .

What are you using for your dumb pixels to control those?  I was going to order some more of these from Ray, (have one now) but have heard some bad things on a few from him.

Do you have any suggestions on water proofing the strips that are with the 3m sticky backs? I am afraid that I see a few strips that are getting dimmer...which makes me worry some water is getting in there. I have had these up since the middle of Oct. and it has been pretty dry...until the end of Nov. rolled around. Now we get several heavy down pours a week. 

I found some of the "tube" dumb strips (and some of the smart strips). Are there other sources I should be looking at?

Sorry for all the questions. Saw this thread (and your video)....and just gets me excited about getting into the RGB scene in full form :-)

Robert

Sorry for the delay in responding, but didnt realize i had some questions in this thread so ill do my best to answer.

I use the ECG-P12R, i have tried many different pixel controllers in the past and have many still running in my show, but as far as value, ease of use, quality and cost per pixel then the ECG-P12R for my tree was hard to go past and in fact i bought another one to replace some other hardware that wasnt behaving. I would never use any DMX controller for pixels now days because a DMX controller can only run 170 pixels to a DMX universe and Pixels eat up universes, So E1.31 is the only way forward in this hobby for large pixel control whilst keeping the network wiring manageable.

As far as what i use for my dumb strip then i use the 27 channel dmx boards that you linked to and I have been happy with them. There will always be an issue here and there with boards, even LOR boards can fail. at least with the cheap chinese one you can afford a spare.

I would never use the strip that has the 3M backing and the resin coating on the top because these are not fully waterproof. What happens is the resin coating can lift away from the strip due to thermal stresses and cause premature failiure. I use the silicone tube coating as all this needs to ensure its weatherproofing is a good dab of silicone on the ends caps of the strip plus its much easier to cut, join and repair.

Many of us use Ray Wu, I have used him since his shop was one month old, he has proven himself with the community and is opne of the rare Chinese vendors that understands our hobby as he has been involved for 3 years. here is a link to the strip i used in my tree which is basically the equivalent to a CCR strip

A good place to start to understand how it all fits with E1,31 and RGB pixels then take a look at the ACL 101 Lighting manual.

Hope that all helps

how long did it take to use lsp with the mega tree?

It depends on the effect i was doing, some of the transition effects take only minutes, the animations take longer because i have created the animations on the tree using the LSP matrix tool. For example it took me under an hour to create the part where all the presents come down the tree. It all depends on the complexity of the animation i create, but LSP does make it a lot easier to create and manage. 

Edited by ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

Guess I have got a lot to learn ;-) I didn't realize that E1,31 was a different language from DMX (don't laugh to hard...still learning about this stuff ;-)

I would never use the strip that has the 3M backing and the resin coating on the top because these are not fully waterproof. What happens is the resin coating can lift away from the strip due to thermal stresses and cause premature failiure. I use the silicone tube coating as all this needs to ensure its weatherproofing is a good dab of silicone on the ends caps of the strip plus its much easier to cut, join and repair.

Ok.... This worries me. I have a bunch of the 3m backing stuff;

9582214_orig.jpg

I do have some pixels starting to go. You can see some going on the lower gutters. I have it zipped tied on pvc pipe;

5496823_orig.jpg

Do you think that silicon above and below would work?  Or would some sort of plastic tubing over the pvc pipe work?  I know that is a pie in the sky question, but you have had some experience with this. Also don't want to trash what I have. 

Actually E1.31 is still DMX, its just a different way its sent out, E1.31 is DMX over IP. as we use the ethernet to run our network

You could look at maybe adding some clear tube over the strip http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50m-Silicon-tube-8mm-10mm-12mm-optional/701799_459153007.html but make sure it has the right dimensions to easily slip over your strip. i would use the 12mm tube

As far as your strip, is it lifting at the  joins because this is where i have seen it lift before, by the looks of your pic thats where it is lifting and is what was to be expected from the testing ive done in the past, Thats why im not a big fan of the cheap EBay strips as most of it is this type of cheap coating.

Not sure if it is lifting up or not. I hope to get it off the roof tomorrow, unfortunately I have some school work that I have to get done first (band director by trade)....then I can do my play time stuff.

If I do go back and put the tubing on it, I guess it will tell me if it is lifting up from the tape...since the 3m thingy is stuck down on the pvc pipe ;-)

Thanks soooo much Eddy.

I want to say if anyone is interested in going RGB, Eddy knows what he's doing, he has helped me tremendously this year to get my RGB Tree up and running.  I too can vouch for Ray I have had great results working with him.