Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Clyde Lindsey

Planning For 2013

Yes, I'm already working on what I want to do for 2013.  It's just easier to test things once the display is up.  Also, it helps to have an idea of what I want to complete for next year, that way I can begin to look for the lights on clearance and build according to my stock.  I was prompted to do this because I have 8 controllers I've not used yet.

I've decided to re-vamp the entire display.  I'm moving lots of things around for next year and trying to do some things I've never done before.  First "true" mega tree.  Recycling a holographic train that my sister found left for trash.  Moving my white tree line up onto the roof.  The reindeer are getting kicked off hahah. Building a spiral tree.  Changing up the arches (longer/more channels) and firestick (to fit them better onto the house and be less obtuse).  Addition of dual falling stars (both sides of the house).  32 candles added to the upper and lower roofs.  Also, some "domino" type fans (made from PVC) for under the new larger arches.  Lots of stuff going on here.

Nearly finished building the remaining 4 controlers on the bench... and looking to purchase maybe 2 or 3 more in the spring sale.... haha who else gets this excited?

So I was wondering if anyone else has begun their planning for 2013 yet? 

Yup, started a few weeks ago. Only way to take advantage of the LED pre-sales is to know what I want for next year.

Changes next year for me will be changing the display over to 3 colors for most items, white, red, green.

Always fun planning, I already have my LOR channel configuration/visualizer set up and ready to go for sequencing my songs to the new setup.

I have 6 controllers now, feeling the urge to add more during the spring/summer sale, but the plan at the moment is not to buy more controllers for next year...... we'll see how that goes! lol

Started thinking about 2013 on Thanksgiving weekend. 2012 was a 'maintenance' year for me. The year previous, I had updated quite a few components of the display, a decent amount of infrastructure. Now, I feel ready to expand and/or update the display again.

On tap for 2013:

• New mega tree base ring and cord management system
  • Mega tree incan mini string upgrades (some of these are on year 5!)
  • More RGB floods
  • New custom RGB-illuminated glowing Christmas gifts (the ones that sit "under" the mega tree)
  • Re-thinking C9 lights on front porch (new porch added this year)
  • Replace large ornaments (non-electrical) on eaves with DMX RGB replacements

Will I do all of this? Not sure, but that's the list.

Ditto! Started thinking about 2013 before the show went live.

I have a couple ideas but keeping them a secret.

This year was more or less the same as last year except I switched over a lot of my items to LED 4 colours.

Need MORE lights!

Ditto! Started thinking about 2013 before the show went live.

I have a couple ideas but keeping them a secret.

This year was more or less the same as last year except I switched over a lot of my items to LED 4 colours.

Need MORE lights!

haha, that's how I feel.  My display has not changed in 3 years other than adding the firesticks in 2012.  I knew it was going to be this way because of college, work, and reserves.  Since I graduate in May, I'll be able to spend more summer time on my hobby :D

I also have been telling people to "come check it out, It's all changing next year!" haha.  I already drew up a blue print hehe :D

For sure making some plans for next year.  Will need more power.right now we are pulling 190 amps on a 200 amp panel.  have bought everything I need to add another meter and 150 amps.  now our display is a drive by ( drive by on a state highway) hope to begin the conversion to a drive through.  will see how things go.

my first change is one more controler bought two coro skeltons one gutair player one drummer  both will take 13 channels rework all halloween sequences over to new setup started last week

Although I sold around 7 controllers last year I was happy with what I did. I am thinking of adding two more 5 channel stars to the display if I have a display in 2013. Then I would modifie the two animated Stars I have now that can "Starburst" & rotate from point to point & make those strickly "Starbursts".

I would think about dismantling the 9 pole matrix & would make the Matrix out off ccr's & used the 5 controllers that made up the matrix for other items but that depends if I get the Superstar sequencer figured out, & it also depends on whether or not I have a display for 2013.

I use a 6 x 5 matrix and will be "shifting" it to the house now.  I love the effects I can create with them, but they are in the wrong place.   I may give them a few more channels each (they will go from 7' to 10' tall). 

Also, there is a possibility that I'll be deployed this time next year.  So I'm planning for my "next" decorating, when ever that may be?

I too have been planning for next year for over a month now.  I start making notes for next year as I am setting stuff out for this year.  This is the first year for a display at our new house.  The old house had a very narrow yard, so the display was very close togather, but now it is very wide, and deep.  Spreading everything out was a chore this year.  I took lots of notes, and I hope that will help for next year.  Next year I am planning to start converting to RGB, so I have also been looking at evertying for that, and where, and how to support that.  My plan was to start working on the visualizer, but I haven't had a chance to take an updated photo yet.

Have been working on next year for the past week.  Really has been the first time to actually think about anything so it was on the 2013 display.  I'm switching everything to RGB elements and am working to find everything and get it all priced and then work on making sure I have everything and no surprises.  Then next step is building it all and getting the sequencing done.  Will be fun!

my second upgrade is to make a mega sprial tree started playing with some sample sequences others have send have been cut and pasting them in to my sequences

Edited by jerry

Have been working on the planning aspect of this for a while now - this was our first year with Lor so I want to make sure we go bigger and better next year! Thoughts so far are;

:: buy two more controllers - total of 48 channels

:: invest in projector, dvd player & virtual santa

:: go RGB dumb strips around windows for more colour option

:: set up a winter wonderland scene in side garden - fake snow, winter animals, more trees, etc

:: bigger nativity scene in front garden

:: buying a number of wire frames from Lordelights, and restringing them here

:: have a mega tree made and set in place

Obviously loads of work to do as you can see - will keep my spare time busy, and my bank account empty :D

I have everything down on paper!  But can I afford another power service, I may be a little CRAZY but I want to upgrade and get another 100,000 lights out in the yard.  So 250,000 total.  Time to buy more lights controllers and power cords lol come on lor sale!  I also want some rgb floods but dont know anything about them

Took this year off so I have spent the time planning for next. Hope to add a second spiral tree, lots of new frames- 16 animated stars, animated deer family, and flying doves that will go with a six foot tall led peace sign I fabricated last year. Bumping the light count to just under 300,000 and adding another 48 channels. Now lets see if I can muster up the energy to get it all accomplished.

Took this year off so I have spent the time planning for next. Hope to add a second spiral tree, lots of new frames- 16 animated stars, animated deer family, and flying doves that will go with a six foot tall led peace sign I fabricated last year. Bumping the light count to just under 300,000 and adding another 48 channels. Now lets see if I can muster up the energy to get it all accomplished.

Bill you always have a great display...make sure to post video...

We will be adding another 200 amp service.....more gravel for parking not counting new projects for display

Glad to see your back in action.

Just complete phase I in preparation for 2013's display.  I've successfully set up 360 channels (~25 controllers with 40 open channels) in a new channel configuration along with the new visualizer.  I'm so pleased this is completed.  I dread dealing with the old visualizer every year when I want to add a new display element.  This year, I will be able to control 6 separate sets of lights (red, green, clear, blue, cool clear LED, and multi) on the windows, roof-lines, and the new Holdman tree line(5 channels per tree).  I'm at the limit of my "spring" preparations, I'll return to school next week.  Also, preparing for pre-deployment training this weekend.  Looks like I'll be tied up till graduation in may... Need to find a good job so I'm ready for graduation!

I have been planning on paper too. It dawned on me how much I'd like an application like a CAD drawing tool to be able to draw out my design, show controller locations, take measurements for cords and such. Is there anything like that out there you guys use? Someone suggested I use visualizer....but I am really talking about that step before visualizer where Im "playing" around with where stuff might go and looking at controllers, etc.

Ya'll just doing paper and pencil?

I have been planning on paper too. It dawned on me how much I'd like an application like a CAD drawing tool to be able to draw out my design, show controller locations, take measurements for cords and such. Is there anything like that out there you guys use? Someone suggested I use visualizer....but I am really talking about that step before visualizer where Im "playing" around with where stuff might go and looking at controllers, etc.

Ya'll just doing paper and pencil?

More or less, I've used a hand drawn (pencil/paper/ruler---> converted to digital using PhotoShop) image Since 2008.

post-6676-0-78958900-1358874544_thumb.jp

This image is the original hand drawing I made in the winter of 2008... The image  below is the SAME just traced out by using straight lines in photo shop.

I've taken measurements and placed them on a master drawing that I refer back to when I setup every year.  Simply put, once the visualizer in LOR is set up, you can move things around in there (taking into future expansion into consideration).  When I only had 64 channels, I would just draw in the elements and their channels.  But now with over 350, it is impossible to "draw" in every element.  Now I just list it by zone 1, 2, or 3, then use an Excel file to organize the channels to the controllers.  Future additions will be far easier and less work.  I had used PhotoShop for one year, but wasted too much time making the perfect diagram.  Not to mention that the scaling is difficult to do.

post-6676-0-82685700-1358874523_thumb.jp

After a few years you will realize what your display will look like with everything in place and know the limits to your property (what will work and what won't). 

My suggestion is this, when starting small and having your first 2 years... yes, make a picture diagram.  But scan it into your computer so you can make multiple copies.  You'll get an idea in May or June and want to visualize it.  Then keep your ideas in a binder (I use sheet protectors) for future reference.  The work you do now will be recorded and accessible for future reference... so you won't have to do what I did (take a tape measure out every 10 minutes and measure distances from one area of the house to another). 

More or less, I've used a hand drawn (pencil/paper/ruler---> converted to digital using PhotoShop) image Since 2008. [img=http://forums.planetchristmas.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] template for house.jpg This image is the original hand drawing I made in the winter of 2008... The image  below is the SAME just traced out by using straight lines in photo shop.   I've taken measurements and placed them on a master drawing that I refer back to when I setup every year.  Simply put, once the visualizer in LOR is set up, you can move things around in there (taking into future expansion into consideration).  When I only had 64 channels, I would just draw in the elements and their channels.  But now with over 350, it is impossible to "draw" in every element.  Now I just list it by zone 1, 2, or 3, then use an Excel file to organize the channels to the controllers.  Future additions will be far easier and less work.  I had used PhotoShop for one year, but wasted too much time making the perfect diagram.  Not to mention that the scaling is difficult to do. [img=http://forums.planetchristmas.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] Channel Guide 2010 copy.jpg   After a few years you will realize what your display will look like with everything in place and know the limits to your property (what will work and what won't).  My suggestion is this, when starting small and having your first 2 years... yes, make a picture diagram.  But scan it into your computer so you can make multiple copies.  You'll get an idea in May or June and want to visualize it.  Then keep your ideas in a binder (I use sheet protectors) for future reference.  The work you do now will be recorded and accessible for future reference... so you won't have to do what I did (take a tape measure out every 10 minutes and measure distances from one area of the house to another). 
Thanks! I have a huge yard with a lot of displays and will make a big jump from 32 channels to perhaps 128. So the controller position and Visualizer setup is intimidating me. With 32 channels just on house and a bunch of static stuff in yard I could do it in my head and in the sequencer. Not this year. I just have to get comfortable with Visualizer. Herb

Thanks! I have a huge yard with a lot of displays and will make a big jump from 32 channels to perhaps 128. So the controller position and Visualizer setup is intimidating me. With 32 channels just on house and a bunch of static stuff in yard I could do it in my head and in the sequencer. Not this year. I just have to get comfortable with Visualizer. Herb

I would not know what to do with a big yard??? lol I have a very small yard.  It is as wide as the house (50') and  8' in depth.  Now if I do my Mom's place, she has about 1 acre in town, that would be massive!  I don't think I'd know where to begin haha.  Or how many controllers I'd need :blink: