Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
XmasLightGuy

Rgb Strings With Individually Controllable Bulbs?

Not sure this is the exact right section to ask this in:

I've been watching some YouTube 'lights' videos (in this case from Colorado)...I'm guessing those houses are very likely PC members LOL

On some of them people have what appears to be RGB strings with individually controllable "bulbs", (most seem to put these in megatrees). From that very general description, anyone know what it is?

---

Also one had what looked somewhat like RGB fluorescent strips around the windows (maybe it was some sorta ropelight?) again anyone know by chance?

On some of them people have what appears to be RGB strings with individually controllable "bulbs", (most seem to put these in megatrees). From that very general description, anyone know what it is?

A lot of users have used pixel strings or pixel strips for this look

---

Also one had what looked somewhat like RGB fluorescent strips around the windows (maybe it was some sorta ropelight?) again anyone know by chance?

Not sure which video you saw, but some people have used pixel strips covered with coro board to get this effect.

The examples I used above are for reference only, there are many styles and voltage choices to make. You would also need a controller for the pixel strings, which you would pick after knowing what type of lights you want to run. Take a look around 'Ray Wu's' site, a lot of people are starting to use the WS2811. However the there are many to pick from.

You might want to watch these videos and read this will help in how it all come together.

Thanks for the info/links

This is the 1st time I've seen the RGB strings (so it goes without saying I'm totally new to that stuff)...one of the local TV stations showed some video clips from a few displays a few nights ago so I went & searched YouTube :) A couple of them were:

youtube.com/watch?v=-xeIGa6y5Po (this one had on the what looked sorta like fluorescents on the window frames..now I'm guessing that is pixel strips)

youtube.com/watch?v=DBlK7ZZbQNE

The items on aliexpress.com look kinda confusing as to exactly what it all is LOL

I'm gonna take a look at those videos/etc too

----------

Personally I've thought multiple times about using actual fluorescents (under the overhang) & still might try it eventually (obviously it'd be one color only, & I'd need some of those flashable ballasts and/or keep on-off cycles very minimal on that channel)...

Edited by XmasLightGuy

I purchased RGB lights from Ray Wu or aliexpress as mentioned above, it is in my opinion the best way to dive into RGB Lighting. I added a 16' 900 Pixel RGB Tree this year, it is in my videos, if you have any question let me know. You might want to read this

You might want to watch these videos and read this manual it will help in how it all come together.
Finally got the chance to watch those vid's tonight...informative & interesting...definitely worth the time to watch.
I purchased RGB lights from Ray Wu or aliexpress as mentioned above, it is in my opinion the best way to dive into RGB Lighting. I added a 16' 900 Pixel RGB Tree this year, it is in my videos, if you have any question let me know. You might want to read this http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/52607-imitation-rgb-lights/
Just went and checked out that thread too :) ------- After having seen the various links/videos/etc here, (and getting to see a local PC member's RGB display) this stuff now makes more sense to me :cool: As awesome as Smart/Pixel RGB would be, if I was eventually to do anything RGB, I'd probably go with "dumb/simple strings" a big part for cost reasons, and controlling it too. (I'm not sure if I could even do the simple RGB thing...would definitely be a bit of work re-programming for it (assuming the controller/hardware I'd need even exists LOL)) I'm more thinking I'll try what I refer to as "poor man's RGB" - individual red/green/blue colored strings of standard 120v LEDs (I probably have the lights already...and it will work with my existing software/controllers, so 2 big plus'es right there. Only negs I see is Obviously no fading/color mixing/etc. and I have a max of 24 channels(but looking at what'd it'd take to upgrade that last one))

As awesome as Smart/Pixel RGB would be, if I was eventually to do anything RGB, I'd probably go with "dumb/simple strings" a big part for cost reasons, and controlling it too. (I'm not sure if I could even do the simple RGB thing...would definitely be a bit of work re-programming for it (assuming the controller/hardware I'd need even exists LOL)) I'm more thinking I'll try what I refer to as "poor man's RGB" - individual red/green/blue colored strings of standard 120v LEDs (I probably have the lights already...and it will work with my existing software/controllers, so 2 big plus'es right there. Only negs I see is Obviously no fading/color mixing/etc. and I have a max of 24 channels(but looking at what'd it'd take to upgrade that last one))

LOL.......Theres no such thing as poor mans RGB !!!  But as far as software  to control Pixels it seems to be getting better there is SS software and Nutcracker. and a few others but those 2 seem easiest for a sequencing dummy like me.....I'm jumping in with both feet....Let U know next Christmas if I drowned :unsure:

LOL Yep, technically true on the poor mans RGB :)

I've seen Nutcracker in action, looks quite nice. plus the guy who created it seems pretty cool too.

Currently I'm using my own 'software' (& home-built 'hardware') to control/flash lights. All pretty old/outdated, and simple/basic stuff that runs off parallel ports, hence the 24 channel(and on/off only, no dimming) limit I've always had...(never needed more channels than that), but now I've been looking at building a "the grinch" controller, still sorta outdated (& on/off only), but it is 64 channels (more than I'll ever need) and I'm pretty sure I can adapt/do some re-programing in my 'software' to make it work :)

Something that did dimming (lets say I had "dumb RGB strings" -and- that I was able to find plans for a DIY controller that'd work) would probably be significant work to program for, don't know if I could do it or not (if the stuff existed I would look into it though)...

Edited by XmasLightGuy

You might want to check out the Diylightanimation website, you have to introduce yourself before you post over there, but there is a WEALTH of information and a forum over there that will put you on good footing working with RGB pixels.

I've been looking around DoItYourselfChristmas (thats where I came across the 'the grinch' controller & have asked a couple questions there on that .. but haven't ashed anything about RGB pixels)

I'v had an acct both there and the DIYLightAnimation site for a few years (havent spent much time on the animation one though)

Edited by XmasLightGuy

If I can figure all of this out I will be adding about 10000 picels to my new dispay this coming season I am building from scratch since I had to sell everyting a couple years back so I figure why not do it rite ha ha

In some ways I think starting from scratch might be easier than integrating things into an existing system/display...

Oh I was pretty good at adding things was building my old display up for about 20 years all ways adding the latest and greatest but now I have to start all over but like you said that can be a good thing a new beginning so to speak ha ha

I've been looking around DoItYourselfChristmas (thats where I came across the 'the grinch' controller & have asked a couple questions there on that .. but haven't ashed anything about RGB pixels)

I'v had an acct both there and the DIYLightAnimation site for a few years (havent spent much time on the animation one though)

Bobby, here is a link to info on the smart string pixels: http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=3554.0