Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Symphony

We'll Never Stop!

This was our first year doing Light O Rama - up to now, we've always had a large static display that had cars slowing down as they passed, but nothing to draw people in to actually stop! We're the first in our extended area to do anything like this, and the crowds have been growing each night with popularity!

We're also collecting for a local hospital Oncology Ward, and donations have been flooding in - even when the lights aren't yet turned on etc, it's heartwarming!

However one of our favourite memories will be going out to empty the donations box and finding an A4 notepad sheet of paper folded over. On one side in big loopy writing, it said "Merry Christmas".

When opened, there was a letter written by a young child, that ran like this -

"Hello, my name is Kady. I have seen your lights four times and this is my fifth. I love it so much. You are very good to do it. Thank you and Merry Christmas. Love Kady"

by the writing, we reckon she is about eight years old.

It made us all smile, and (like others always say!) made the software learning curves, the setting up difficulties, the acquiring hardware costs, and the constant fear of "whats going to blow / go down / die out next" all worth it! :D

Plus there's nothing like seeing the kids dancing to the music, and watching their eyes light up!

So thankful for accepting neighbours, kind visitors who donate most generously, and the children that keep the magic alive!

As you have now found out, it is all about the smiles!

Good for you and thank you for making many people have a great Christmas.

I always thought that it would be cool to keep EVERY letter, card, and note that people leave for you, and mount them behind glass and display them the following year for people to see. Every new year would have last years cards and notes. So 2013 would have 2012 letters, notes and cards for people to look at.

I think it would be cool for that little girl to come back in 10 or 20 years and see her note she wrote to you way back in 2012. She might even have a little one of her own who might leave you a note as well.

That's a really good idea, ex-grinch! Have kept the note in the collections box, but will definitely hang onto it for next year - I like the idea of displaying it :D

for sure..  it seems to be a little known fact amongst many people..  but Christmas lights make people of all ages smile..  they just do...  they always have for me..  and each year when the christmas lights begin to appear in the stores..  and the first house with a tree in the window..  my smile grows wider...  its all worth it for those smiles!

-Christopher

That's a really good idea, ex-grinch! Have kept the note in the collections box, but will definitely hang onto it for next year - I like the idea of displaying it :D

I just thought it would be nice way to show that we appreciate the cards and letters as much as they appreciate the display. Plus I think it would help turning your display into a yearly family tradition that they go and visit, knowing they're actually a part of the display itself. I would just set it up right next to the collections box.