Maybe A Out-Of-Season Sale? Other Potential Newb Questions.....

chad.pacey

I'm thinking about getting into the LOR world.  A few questions....

Could I expect LOR to offer some sort of winter sale or something, where I might want to hold off buying anything right now?

Would love to hear why I should choose LOR over other similar products.

And lastly, if I were to start programming music next month, do I really need to know what my layout is going to look like now?  Or is it possible to have a general idea, program off that, and then tinker with the layout as Christmas gets closer?

Thanks,  looking forward to reading replies!  I think this jump will cause a big splash!

Chad

LOR has a spring AND summer sale.You can sign up for notifications on their website. The quantities are limited for the spring sale and they usually sell out in less than 5 minutes.That's right,MINUTES!! Last year,all controllers were sold out in about 2 minutes.It's really frantic. The summer sale has unlimited quantities and goes on for a specific amount of time.As for WHY LOR,they back ALL their products even if you choose to assemble them yourself.I have heard that you can get more channels for your money by using some of the DIY kits,however it requires soldering skills and lots of time. I personally value my time more than my money. Welcome to the ADDICTION!!!!!   

Well Chad

I agree with Cliff!

I would recommend you go to the Light O Rama site and view some excellent  video tutorials. I also believe you can use a demo software program to see how the system works.

This was my first year with LOR and programming sequences can take much time and you should have an vision of the props you are planning. Good luck with your new endeavor, it can truly be rewarding.

PAnorthpole

I took the splash from animated lighting to LOR...What a difference. If you watch the classifieds on this site you can get some deals. That is how I bought my first and not the last controller.

As far as your display try to have a general idea. It will help you out. When you get into the LOR they have a visualizer option that helps out a lot.

I was able to swap from animated lighting today and see how the LOR works. It is nice to have control of your display and not worrying about getting your shows done on time or no one answering emails or the phones.

I am proud to be a LOR newbie!!

Pete

I'm very happy with the quality products I've received from LOR.  Customer service is above and beyond anything you can imagine.  Had 2 controllers with stuck channels (after 4 years of no problems) and they walked me through some troubleshooting steps. The channels are back up and working.  The software is pretty easy to use, very intuitive once you view a few YouTube demos.  And with the increased popularity of LED's, they've adjusted the controllers to work with them better than the previous generation of cards.  I have to say that once I set up everything at the beginning of the season, it is usually plug-and-play if you use your prior year's channel configuration and setup. 

Keep your eyes open for the February sale, limited quantities and items sell out fast.  Summer sail has no limit on purchases, all as mentioned above.  I typically purchase 2 of the CTB 16PC cards for ~$130 plus shipping and build my own cards using boxes given to me from the cable company (free).  I make my own dongles or custom plug connection.  The cards are very easy to wire (or you can buy a kit and solder them for even less).  You can always order the CTB 16PC kit that requires assembly.  These run for around $189+shipping and you can follow easy, step-by-step instructions (also a fantastic video on YouTube teaches it).  If you want the complete assembeled unit, you'll have to pay around $230+ shipping.... KEEP IN MIND: these are rough guestimates for pricing during sale times.  You can imagine the prices are $20-30 or more during non sale times.

I have also purchase 4 used LOR cards and 2 used kits from members here on PC.  I've been very pleased with the people I've dealt with.

As far as "knowing your future layout" goes, your layout doesn't need to be perfectly set for the next year.  I've changed 2013's layout 3 times in the past week due to the amount of LED's I was able to purchase.  I've also upped my controller count. If you give yourself some freedom to be creative and adaptible to  your yard and your limitations, the layout won't matter much.  Just begin to sequence with an idea of what you want to create.  You may move things around before the "final" setup is complete, but your elements most likely won't change much if you built them for your display.  Be more concerned with acquiring extension cords (I suggest looking up my video on converting broken light strings into extension cords), as that will be one of the most expensive investments besides the LOR cards.  The other consideration you should have is, do you have enough power to run a show with "X" number of lights?  at 8,000 static I jumped to 17,150 in 2008 (first year with LOR).  I had 4 new outlets installed. 2 years later, I added 3 sub to the outside of the house so I could reduce the number of extension cords.  It also kept the purchase of 14-2 cheaper by having the subs outside, make wiring the 15 dedicated outlets much simpler. 

One of the reasons I haven't jumped in already is because of my lights.  I'm at the 5000 mark, and I want to have enough lights to really make a difference from the Mr. Christmas box I'm using now.  (That box is very tempermental it seems, having trouble keeping it operating.)  If I can solve the issues I'm having with Mr. Christmas, I think I'm really at a good point with that right now.  (Honestly, better than any other house with a Mr. Christmas box I've seen.)  Once I get the lights to add new channels to my mini trees, mega tree, house, etc. I will definately be ready for the LOR leap. 

Adding 8 mini trees this year to the front yard, I did utilize the "old light string extension cord" trick, which worked wonders.  Since it sounds like I have a little time before any LOR sales, I'll have consider if I want to add LOR this year?  Or x,xxx new lights to the display?  It will be a fun debate!

Thanks for the info.  From the feeback I've received, and community involvement on the web, I know once I go LOR, it'll be a good experience.

Chad