Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Greg.Ca

Need Help Selecting Dmx Rgb Controller 12Vdc Controller

Currently I have over 450 LOR channels operating my 100,000 LED's very sucessfully. I currently do NOT have any RGB lights or DMX channels. Hopefully that's going to change for the 2013-2014 season.

I want to start slowly and experiment with smart strings and 'semi intelligent lights' and have lots of questions. Right now I have 72 feet of 9 different colors of LED rope light that is a perimeter 'fence' that serves two purposes. First it acts like a security fence and keeps my 'viewers' outside of my yard. And second, as musical notes are played in many of my songs, I illuminate different colors to coorespond to the sounds of a piano or different guitar strings being played.

This LED rope light has proven to be a big hit but unforunately it's also my biggest headache as far a reliability is concerned. Of the nine dfferent colors, It always seems to take several days each season to sort out the mess and get the fence working correctly. . Even though a 9 foot 'section' of LED rope light appeares to work, many of them would not 'feed' the next section with their unreliable connector at the 'end' of each section. With the high cost and terrible reliability, I finally decided that something needed to be done to replace this unreliabile LED rope light fence in my show. On my web site, there are a few video's that may show this rope light fence in operation. It's pretty cool.

Now to the solution, I decided to experiment with SMD5050  5 meter sections of RGB strip lights and perhaps 'encase' them in rubber clear tubing. So far, I don't see a problem with the physical aspecs of trying to make this work and replace my unreliable LED rope light with 5 or 10 meter sections of RGB strips. The advantage of these RGB strip lights are that each one of them can be any color. In many of my songs, I turn on just one color for a great effect. These lights would highlight that effect. I could turn the whole fence the same color if I wanted to. BIG advantage.

As far as an electrical issue, I need a DMX RGB controller that can handle the current draw of 72 feet of 'doubled up' (my initial plan is to have these strips back to back where the adhesive is stuck to each other for better illumination at all angles should somehow these strips get twisted). Technically, I would have 27 RGB channels but the excessive current draw of the doubled up 72 feet (actually 144 feet) exceeds the current capacity of the controller that I was looking at. See below.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/27-channel-easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/431020707.html

The specs on this controller indicate it could drive only 1 amp per channel.

The specs on just ONE 5 meter section of RGB lights indicate 3 amps (I'm not sure that I believe the specifications) See below.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=911

Questions, The math simply isn't adding up. If the capacity of the controller and the load of just ONE 5 meter section is correct, then this controller simply couldent even drive one 5 meter section. What am I missing??

Is SMD5050 5 meter strip lights the way to go? Is something better and why?

For next years show, I only need 27 RGB channels so this controller appears ideal. I just wish each channel in the controller could drive more current. Is there a DMX RGB 12VDC controller that could drive much higher current for a reasonable price? Vendors?

Where would I obtain a reliable software driver for the DMX controller? How is this controller hooked up to my computer? USB port??

What else am I forgetting? Are there stateside sources for DMX RGB 12VDC controllers. Any problems sending money to China (paypal)?

Any web sites for learning specifically LOR RGB??

Any better sources for RGB strip lights.  

Does lightorama sell a high current 12VDC controller?

HELP!!! --Greg--

I like http://www.holidaycoro.com he has a sample pack that will get you started. I ran 6 coro trees 20 coro stars and 8 floods. We had alot of rain and they were flawless. As far as support and shipping could not ask for better service. His prices and shipping cost seemed lower than evevrybody else.

I ran 4 of those 27 Channel controllers this year and they worked great. I don't know how much they want for those LED strips you showed, but you can get them from Ray as well and they work great. The place I get mine sell them for a lot cheaper than that. My are encased in Silicone tube and silicone filled..

As far as a power supply, stick with Meanwells. Get them here in the US and if something should happen at least you can get service quicker.

Edited by bdeditch

bdeditch what is shipping like with Ray?

I usually  have my stuff in 3 days with DHL, stay away from Fedex and UPS.

Edited by bdeditch

Yes Ray will combine shipping cost & the 27 CH controller will run 6- 5 meter dumb strips. I do not push mine that close I only run 4 strips per controller. Yes that is a waste of channels but it gives me room for spares in case of a problem & also to add other RGB items that have shorter lengths.

Mike

Yes Ray will combine shipping cost & the 27 CH controller will run 6- 5 meter dumb strips. I do not push mine that close I only run 4 strips per controller. Yes that is a waste of channels but it gives me room for spares in case of a problem & also to add other RGB items that have shorter lengths.

Mike

Mike is right you do not want to push them more than 5 5 meter strips. I used all 27 channels, but my strips were cut in half.

I ran 4 of those 27 Channel controllers this year and they worked great. I don't know how much they want for those LED strips you showed, but you can get them from Ray as well and they work great. The place I get mine sell them for a lot cheaper than that. My are encased in Silicone tube and silicone filled..

As far as a power supply, stick with Meanwells. Get them here in the US and if something should happen at least you can get service quicker.

I don't have the slightest clue who 'Ray' is.  Website please. Also, who or what is a 'meanwell'? --Greg--

Also, are you indicating that each 'channel' , can drive 5 5meter strips/color? So therefore I would use 3 seperate channels on the controller to drive 5 of the 5 meter strips in series? I need length. Thanks --Greg--

I don't have the slightest clue who 'Ray' is.  Website please. Also, who or what is a 'meanwell'? --Greg--

Also, are you indicating that each 'channel' , can drive 5 5meter strips/color? So therefore I would use 3 seperate channels on the controller to drive 5 of the 5 meter strips in series? I need length. Thanks --Greg--

Greg check you PM's I just sent you one.

I purchased my lights from Ray Wu (900 RGB Pixel lights), my power supply from Meanwell, and my RGB Controller which will control 12 DMX Universes from Joshua Systems (J1SYS). 

Lights including shipping were a little under $420.00

(2) 350 Watt Powersupplys $110.00  (Only needed 1, but have 1 as a back-up)

J1SYS Controller $180.00 

Edited by Streetrodder