Rgb Or Stick With Incans? From A Look Stand Point...

robo

With one year of LOR under my belt. I'm looking to add color next year. RGB looks like the most economic and simplist way to accomplish this. But I still want my house to have that christmas look. But most videos I see on youtube look more like a strip club then a holiday display. I have never seen a RGB display in person  so I'm looking for some input on the subjuect Thanks in advance Rob

You could always go with individual pixel strings instead of encased pixel strips like CCRs.  Pixel strings would give the look of individual points of light, rather than a continuous line of light.  Too expensive for my blood.  I'll stick with incans, although the thought of choosing any color you want is a fun idea.

your house is one of the reason I like the idea of staying with incands. Looks very Christmasee even with everything going on. But when I watch the behind the scene vids of your set-up it looks Craaazzzyyy! And the electric bill eeekkk!

I do plan on going with the dumb nodes strings. Atleast they have a mini light look to them. But at a 1 a foot, just for the lights, that can add up qwik.  

your house is one of the reason I like the idea of staying with incands. Looks very Christmasee even with everything going on. But when I watch the behind the scene vids of your set-up it looks Craaazzzyyy! And the electric bill eeekkk!

I do plan on going with the dumb nodes strings. Atleast they have a mini light look to them. But at a 1 a foot, just for the lights, that can add up qwik.  

Thanks for watching the video.  I hope to do another video this year, to talk about some other ideas I added.  The electric bill last year went up $250 with 85,000 lights.  Year before I had 25,000 static lights and it was up almost $400!  Animation definitely cut it down.  I'm expecting around $300-$350 increase this year for 120,000.  The price to convert my C9s alone to LED is over $3,000.  Hence, I'm sticking with incans for a few more years at least.

Thanks for watching the video.  I hope to do another video this year, to talk about some other ideas I added.  The electric bill last year went up $250 with 85,000 lights.  Year before I had 25,000 static lights and it was up almost $400!  Animation definitely cut it down.  I'm expecting around $300-$350 increase this year for 120,000.  The price to convert my C9s alone to LED is over $3,000.  Hence, I'm sticking with incans for a few more years at least.

Victor, I spent around $1700 @ 50% off sales this year on LED's.  About the same amount last year.  As of 2013, I'll be 95% LED.   Yes it is an expense... but doing it little by little over time, you can convert.  I'm not worried about the amp draw anymore, nor my electric bill.

As for RGB, I don't think I'll be using them for a few years.  I may get a few strings and make a tree out of them, but that's about it.  I agree with the statement:

most videos I see on youtube look more like a strip club then a holiday display...

I have to agree.  I don't bash them.  They are unique and very attractive.  People might say the same thing about our very own music selections.  In any event, it will be some time before they become attached to my home.

" most videos I see on youtube look more like a strip club then a holiday display"  I guess I half hardily agree, l don't know about using  Pixels on my house BUT after looking at some of awsome effects you

can do say on a Mega tree has me jumping onboard to do one for next Christmas!! 

• 3 weeks later...
I have been toying with the idea of RGB arches for 2013, but I dont know if they will have the same effect as having the entire arch wrapped in lights vs one light every inch.

Believe it or not 99% of my display is LED the only 2 elements that are Incans are the arches and belagio poles (firesticks) IMO the look can't be reproduced with LEDs much less RGB pixels

I agree that initial RGB offerings can take away from the "tinsel" feel of your display.

I did a test display with nothing but RGB flood lights and found that to be an issue too...just not traditional enough.

I have compiled two typical types of RGB options on my website (http://lightsmusicmagic.com/new.html) for your viewing pleasure.

I can't speak for all companies, but I know that I offer commercial and consumer-grade RGB string lights as well as RGB wall-washers (which helps conform to your budget).

Light-o-Rama is coming out with their own pixel string and wall-washer too but I don't know too much on the specs of that.

At the end of the day, regardless of where you get your lights from, there are options for you :).

You can harness the power of RGB without losing the tradition tinsel feel :).

Happy decorating!

Edited by JHolmes

Im one of those guys who have taken the route of using lots of RGB strip and floods in my display, yes its a different look to the traditional lights because its new, but it has a big impact on the audience because its something different that they havent seen before, its still a Christmas theme but its full of colour and animations. in 20 years time that may be considered traditional because traditional changes with the times.

The issue with incands is that people seem happy to spend lots of money upgrading their services to cope with the extra power used instead of replacing their incands with LEDs and are happy to pay a large amount each year for their power bill and also the enjoyment of replacing countless blown globes. Personally i love the RGB LEDs as they are far more reliable and efficient and really give out a lot of colour and light. But thats not everyones cup of tea, but by the numbers of people that came past last season is anything to go off and the reaction that i got, i think it may just be the future.

http://vimeo.com/55705124

Believe it or not 99% of my display is LED the only 2 elements that are Incans are the arches and belagio poles (firesticks) IMO the look can't be reproduced with LEDs much less RGB pixels

I run my firestick with LED's.  Have been since 2010.  They get upgraded next year to LED strips from Flex Tech.   

I'd like to update you all to a developement too.  Since I posted last, I began to "school" myself on the RGB lighting.  I was very concerned about the amount of money it would cost.  Seems it is extremely economical.  Ever since I found the Flex Tech strips at Lowes for $13.50/ box, I wanted to know how I could control them with S3 and LOR.  It seems they can work with minimal investment, time, and some learning.  I'm still keeping my LED C9 roof lines :D  but I'm going to begin learning about RGB's.  Actually, if it's as easy as I think, I would have wanted to go this route a long time ago.

I run my firestick with LED's.  Have been since 2010.  They get upgraded next year to LED strips from Flex Tech.   

I'd like to update you all to a developement too.  Since I posted last, I began to "school" myself on the RGB lighting.  I was very concerned about the amount of money it would cost.  Seems it is extremely economical.  Ever since I found the Flex Tech strips at Lowes for $13.50/ box, I wanted to know how I could control them with S3 and LOR.  It seems they can work with minimal investment, time, and some learning.  I'm still keeping my LED C9 roof lines :D  but I'm going to begin learning about RGB's.  Actually, if it's as easy as I think, I would have wanted to go this route a long time ago.

I liked the look of incans on my arches and I had Led's ready to wrap on the firesticks and just decided to keep those 2 elements the same. But for next year I am going to do a Pixel Mega tree and I'm leaning towards the look of C9 pixels .....Hope I'm not wrong, but I guess I'm about to find out. If every thing works out I see myself going all RGB the following year

For me I like incandescent lights I like the Christmasy  look and feel they  give. The only exception are blue LEDs for a river or a pond. They are much better than incandescent blue.

Agreed, I don't think that blue incandescent mini's can compare with blue LED's.  My display was striking when I did Blue Christmas (Elvis) and showcased the blue and clear LED's.  C9's do well also, but are electric hogs.

I too would like to learn more about the rgb world i got the lor S-3 software but don't understand what is needed to connect it to the dmx universe

will it run off the lor controller box without  any special equipment or will i need special controllers and other gadgets ?

i would love to learn how to do the rgb dmx thing, any ideas where to start looking ?