Strob Light Usage

DSE

How long or what is the average time seen for strob lights?

I was thinking about adding some strobs to my display and have seen them in others but more as a part of the show but none as a part of a static display running all season.

Just making sure by running them all season I will not be just burning them out in one night.... :wacko:

Thanks

I can not vouch for the life.  I used them for the first time this year.  All of them made it through the season.  You could always buy one, plug it in and see how long it lasts.

There have been a few threads here discussing using them in static display.  Strobes tend be used as an accent.  Having them run the entire duration of the display could be a little "intense".

Hey thanks Cory for the feed back

Yea, was thinking it would be a bit much on the strob being on constantly.... :(:unsure:

Any ideas on how to activate the strob in intervals with out going to a channel? (Delay - relay, timer)

You are so right I will pick one up and work it hard to see what gives on it

Thanks

P.S. Remember the project we were talking about? Well it took me all of 9 months to perfect it and it turned out real sweet. Have gotten stars (2 types), Balls, Gift Boxes, Bells and yea man Mini trees. If you still have an interest PM me and I will send over some photos

Edited by DSE

I just got through taking down my display.  I should grab a strobe and plug it in.  The question is where can I put it that it will not annoy the #%@! out of me.

Now I will have to search for those threads.  A lot of the timers only have about four cycles per day.  Probably not enough for what you are planning.  Someone posted a link to a real neat timer that wasn't limited like that.

Let's see how good my search talents are.

ETA:

Darn, I am good!

Timer

Edited by cacoulter

So true on were to test the Strob ----mother in laws house ----ummmmm---

The only problem with that is the Father in Law has been a big help.

I grabbed a small cardboard box and placed the strobe in it.  There is a little light leak so that I can see the strobe is working without opening the box. 

4:00 PM EST on 01/04/13.

How long do we want to leave it run?  I am thinking at least 40 days.

Never know the father inlaw might not be against it.... :huh:

40 days would be a perfect time frame

wonder what the temp of a confined area would do just a thought...

You have to take a video of you yelling its alive....its alive......ooohhhhha.ha.ah...ah....ha...

Way to much fun

I have got some dely relays in a box I will get them out pretty sure they have on time in seconds (90) and off time in minutes (120) and some harnesses

I will have to look up the cost but I dont think it will break the bank and they can take 15 amp @ 110vac

I will post results

Edited by DSE

Never know the father inlaw might not be against it.... :huh:

40 days would be a perfect time frame

wonder what the temp of a confined area would do just a thought...

You have to take a video of you yelling its alive....its alive......ooohhhhha.ha.ah...ah....ha...

Way to much fun

Sorry, no video.

Two days - still flashing.

• 4 weeks later...
How long or what is the average time seen for strob lights?   I was thinking about adding some strobs to my display and have seen them in others but more as a part of the show but none as a part of a static display running all season. Just making sure by running them all season I will not be just burning them out in one night.... :wacko:   Thanks
I think for application you will need a different kind of strobes other than the CLS strobes. American DJ makes a nice one and is really more durable than most of the ones we used in Christmas displays. They last around 5000 hrs and they do cost more $$$$ but in the long run you will buy less of them. Plus you can adjust the flashes per second which is really cool. They call it city flash which is an egg strobe. Here is a web page that still sells them http://www.silverflight.com/li/strobes/amdjmiscstrobes.htm With some research you could find them a little bit cheaper than that site. Hope this helps out!!!! Here are some stats from American DJ web page: • City Flash is a water resistant mini Strobe Light that will screw-in to any medium screw base light bulb socket (indoor/outdoor use) • Great for bands, DJs, home parties or special effects & theatre productions • Includes replaceable clear dome • Optional dome colors sold separately: Yellow (City Dome/Y), Green (City Dome/G), Blue (City Dome/B), or Red (City Dome/R) • 3 Flash Modes: Slow Flash (1 flash per 3 second), Fast Flash (3 flashes per second), Police Flash (11 flashes per second followed by 2 second intervals) • Power: 120V, 7W • Lamp Life: Approx 5,000 hours • Dimensions: 3.5” x 2” / 88x50mm • Weight: .5 lbs. / .20 kg.

• 3 months later...

Hey friends! I have an electrical question for you.

I have 8W strobes that I think are amazing!

I think I have 200 strobes on two channels which comes out to about 13 amps.

I have recently purchased two snow machines. Each uses direct-power and requires 10 amps each.

Due to the fact that strobe lights are not constantly "ON," do you think it is possible to put them all on one 30-amp controller?

I'm hoping my memory is incorrect and I only have 100 strobes, which makes this question considerably easier to answer :P.

But incase....what do you think?

Strobes are always on.  They charge a capacitor and fire when the capacitor is charged.  What I don't know is if the 8W is the capacitor discharge or the draw to charge the capacitor.  I am thinking it is the discharge. 

Someone with an amp clamp want to prove or disprove this?