Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jerrylcooper

Newby In Muskogee, Oklahoma

I'm 71 years old and  still work full time as a controller for a non-profit organization.

After seeing a computerized display in my neghborhood over Christmas 2011, I purchased and installed two Light-O-Rama 16 controllers, FM Transmitter, laptop computer, Light-O-Rama software, about 25 fifty foot extension cords. This was my first attempt and I replaced all of my static display yard incandescent lights with LED bulbs, LED net lights, LED rope lights, LED mini-lights. I used 7 musical sequences totaling 23 minutes and ran my show every half hout beginning at 6 PM till 10 PM Sunday thru Thursday and until 11:00 PM on FRiday and Saturday nights beginning around DEcember 1sy and a will continue until around January 10, 2013.

I had many problems but with preserverance and help from two different people, I created what I think was a pretty good show. What I learned that it takes a lot of time to set it up and the most important thing is a lot of prior planning. The first thing was to vist with two different people who had displays and pick their brains plus take daylight pictures of their shows. I then spent hours researching on line and talking to a Holiday Light manufacturer here in Oklahoma who gave me so much useful information. I decided to go totaly LED in lieu of incandesdent which cost quite a lot more but will be worth it over time. I prepared a budget, which I quickly exceeded, prepared a diagram of my house and yard to scale, measured all of the areas I wished to cover, selected the items to decorate (gutters, trees, bushes, yard borders, fences, porch columns, etc.)

I selected what type of light would be used at each item (string, mini, net, icicyle, rope) and then selected the color of lights trying to coregraph to the best of my ability. My wife got involved here and made some suggestions. After noting all of these color, type, selections on my diagram, I then ordered my equipment. I ordered 3 spools of 500 foot  C-7 LED socket with 12" spacing, 1 case of 500 blue C-7 LED bulbs, 1 case of 500 red C-7 LED bulbs, 1 case of 500 green C-7 LED bulbs, about 25 sets of LED netlights of green, red and blue, white, rope lights, about 25 LED sets of mini lights.

To highlight my display I decided to create a mega tree using an existing 50 Sycamore tree in my front yard using a stove pipe connection to place at the top of the tree. It had 8 eye bolts drilled with large "O" rings connected to each eye bolt. I then connected a small pulley to each "O" ring and a 50 foot 1/4" polyester cord through each pulley. In essecence I had created a flag pole or Maypole with the ability to run up 8 "flags". What i actually did was to build one 27 foot string of green lights, one 27 foot string of red lights and one 27 foot string of blue lights. I then hooked one blue string, one red string and one green string to the rope and pulled all three string to the top of the tree using the rope on the pully. I repeated this for a total of eight times leaving 8 green strings, 8 red strings and 8 blue strings. I then spread them out, spaced them equally and secured them with orange tent stakes. I connected all 8 red strings to 1 channel, 8 green strings to another channel and 8 strings to another channel. I had two major setbacks in the process. My first apparatus I constucted broke and failed on my first lifting attempt and that is when I went to the stove pipe contraption. I rented a lift device and mounting it 45 up in my tree. Unfortunetely, that night some vandals cut all 24 lines and I had to spend over 5 hours splicing and repairing the lines. Since then, I have put in spotlights that automatically come on at dusk and go off at dawn.

When I take down my lights, I will simply lower each set of 3 light strings using the ropes on the pulleys, disconnect and store the light strings until next year and tie and secure the 8 ropes at the bottom of the tree. This way, I won't have to rent a lift apparatus next year and the tree grorwth will be compensated by the design. In time,  I might have to add more rope to accomodate for the grwith but that will be very easy to do.

I ended up adding a Nativity scene consisting of a stable and Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus. I don't have this connected to the show but it stays on continually from 6 PM until 11 PM daily.

I do have a few questions as follows:

1- How can I program my show where tall of the lights come on at least 30 minutes prior to the first show  beginning at 6 PM and all lights stay on 30 minutes after the final show runs?

2- Any suggestions on storing everything?

I have atached a few pictures of my display.

post-15839-0-27327300-1357174452_thumb.j

post-15839-0-44603600-1357174518_thumb.j

post-15839-0-61509800-1357174523_thumb.j

post-15839-0-29807700-1357174528_thumb.j

post-15839-0-52373000-1357174533_thumb.j

post-15839-0-53143500-1357174538_thumb.j

post-15839-0-47587400-1357174543_thumb.j

post-15839-0-05877200-1357174548_thumb.j

That looks absolutely stunnig - I've come across a number of displays using coloured lights that look unbalanced, but yours is absolutely stunning - well done! :)

Great Display

now about your question If you create an animated sequence with out music for thirty minutes and sheduale it to run the 2 times you want with just the lights on this should be an easy fix. you could also run a show opener and closer with the same sequance that would play at the begin and end of your show and adjust your times.