Sealed Led Question

I've been buying my LEDs from various retail stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc) but have been reading for a long time now about the higher quality of the lights from the vendors online here and elsewhere. I thought I understood everything but I think I've confused myself on one issue... sealed bulbs.

Exactly what part is sealed? I know there are 3 parts. The bulb, the bulb holder and the socket. Are all three parts sealed together on these higher quality strings? If so, I can understand how that would lead to much fewer failures from moisture, but wouldn't that also make it much more difficult to repair, even with an LED Keeper? At least with regular bulbs you can find the bad bulb and replace it. I'm not about to start cutting and repairing strings like I read about on here. I'm just not that good at that sort of thing.

Everything is sealed.

on the issue of repair.

I have found that the whole string goes very dim rather than 1 bulb burning out. I just buy another string to replace it.But my display is not animated

and small ( just over 10,000 lights.)

On the issue of the sealed strings being higher quality, well, thats debateable. I personally love them.Many people hate them. I have foud that corrosion and just  bulbs falling out are 2 good reasons for me not to buy them. But, to each their own.

Hope I helped.

Yeah, that's my only complaint about the LED Keeper. Only two pods come with it. Those will be used up in a heart beat. Like I said, I'm not comfortable with splicing in new lights. I could probably figure it out but I'd need a tutorial.

Splicing lights is supper easy making sure you have the right LED bulb for the string little harder

Does any one know the make up of the POD ?

The LED keeper is a great tool and I will +1 it for Holiday light express got 3 cases last year and not a bad string in the whole bunch saving my nickels now to get in on the early sale

When using the LED Keeper, I understand you need to pierce the wire insulation near each led until you find the bad one.How can this be safe,creating many holes in the insulation to get down to the copper wire? do you then need to somehow "seal" the holes created? 

DSE, inside the two pods I got with the tester is what looks like a 330 ohm resistor, the little pod makes a fast simple repair where you are only squeezing the pod together to pierce the wire and keep the water and moisture out, I used my two up already, and got a few 330 resistors from radio shack to fix two more, after soldering the resistor in place of the bulb. I used some heat shrink tube to seal it off from the elements, worked like a charm.

DSE, inside the two pods I got with the tester is what looks like a 330 ohm resistor, the little pod makes a fast simple repair where you are only squeezing the pod together to pierce the wire and keep the water and moisture out, I used my two up already, and got a few 330 resistors from radio shack to fix two more, after soldering the resistor in place of the bulb. I used some heat shrink tube to seal it off from the elements, worked like a charm.

But that would be too easy. 

I had a lot of problems with the LED strings from Home Depot, Ace Hardware, WalMart.  I only have one type of LED strings that lasted 4 seasons.  I purchased commercial grade LED strings from LED Holiday Lighting, Creative Displays Inc, and MITS.

Unfortunately, I have had problems with strings from all 3 vendors.  However, not as many problems as the big-box store LED strings!

When the LED string goes out, I have to troubleshoot to find which LED is bad so I can splice in the new one (solder and heat shrink).

Stan

Thanks helps a bunch