Led Interest Thread

For those who might be interested,Chris from wlcventures.com has an interest thread at DIY for led strings 70ct.Professional quality with replaceable bulbs.Here's the link,he answers a lot of your questions in the first post. As a side note i have dealt with Chris the last 3 years and have been very pleased with his products and service.  http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?24871-LED-String-Interest-(with-lower-amounts-for-order)

Those are the exact bulbs I mentioned in another thread. They have screw tops that make them totally waterproof and yet still give you the luxury of changing out bulbs. They are in my opinion the best light set out there.

This is the very best design IMHO.  I would seriously consider these if it weren't for the fact that I've spent my LED budget for this year.  I have been using the Walmart version C9/C7 LED's for 5 years.  They follow this design.  I have had zero failures.  One 25ct string did go out, but used the LED keeper to fix it.  I hear many negative comments about them, but couldn't be happier with mine.

Edited by Leechburg Lights

The lights Chris is selling are NOT the 3 piece design like the Ecosmart or Color Rite designs that both use the screw on bulb cover over the replaceable led itself- they are the common type 2 piece replaceable led and socket,just like an old fashioned incandescent mini is constructed.

Edited by merrymidget

The lights Chris is selling are NOT the 3 piece design like the Ecosmart or Color Rite designs that both use the screw on bulb cover over the replaceable led itself- they are the common type 2 piece replaceable led and socket,just like an old fashioned incandescent mini is constructed.

If that's the case, I'm sorry and retract my statement.

I thought they were.

I am curious as to why the "Vendors" don't sell the Ecosmart/color rite designs.

That to me is a "premium" light string. 

(note to vendor cult followers, don't flame me for my opinion) 

Steve,probably the reason you thought they were selling them is because another poster posted a picture of the 3 piece ones in that thread.The Ecosmart/Color Rite seem to be Identical to one another,with Home Depot being the exclusive distributor of the Ecosmart branded ones...at about 1/2 the price most vendors try to charge for the Color Rite labeled sets.

I agree,the concept has many great attributes,but on the sets I examined the execution was disappointing for a couple reasons in my opinion.They failed to use any gasket or simple O ring to provide a watertight seal between the lens cap and the socket itself.Another disappointment was revealed after removing/replacing many lens caps,it seemed they used a very coarse pitch to the plastic threads on both the socket and cap and many caps did no go back on smoothly or evenly.A little refinement at the design/manufacturing stages, and these could be real winners.

Steve,probably the reason you thought they were selling them is because another poster posted a picture of the 3 piece ones in that thread.The Ecosmart/Color Rite seem to be Identical to one another,with Home Depot being the exclusive distributor of the Ecosmart branded ones...at about 1/2 the price most vendors try to charge for the Color Rite labeled sets.

I agree,the concept has many great attributes,but on the sets I examined the execution was disappointing for a couple reasons in my opinion.They failed to use any gasket or simple O ring to provide a watertight seal between the lens cap and the socket itself.Another disappointment was revealed after removing/replacing many lens caps,it seemed they used a very coarse pitch to the plastic threads on both the socket and cap and many caps did no go back on smoothly or evenly.A little refinement at the design/manufacturing stages, and these could be real winners.

You are dead on, they could be better.

Having said that, I have the eco-smart icicles that I bought 3yrs ago from Home depot at 2.81 a box on closeout, and I have not had a single light go out yet. I haven't seen any water intrusion, but I have not unscrewed every bulb.