Rgb Power Supply (Cheap)

Roger

Took a trip to several computer repair shops and to the junk yard and found 22 computer power supplies: 6-200 w, 5-350 w, 4-450 w,6-280  rangeing 8 to 30 amps output.  Googled "how to modifie computer power supplies" and found the information on each one.  Took me about 20 to 30 minutes per unit to convert afterward I had 22 good power supplies for RGB or anything else with a range of power outputs.  Total cost for all 22 units under $20.00.  .   

Outstanding source of reusable equipment.  Kind of like my broken light string to extension cord conversion!  Nice work.  Wonder if youtube has anything on it?  Did you use any?  Definitely a good idea for people jumping on the RGB bandwagon.  I know I have some big exterior work boxes that can hold a card, computer power supply, and some biscuit connectors completely protected from the elements. 

Thanks for the heads up!  Show us some pics eh?

Took a trip to several computer repair shops and to the junk yard and found 22 computer power supplies: 6-200 w, 5-350 w, 4-450 w,6-280  rangeing 8 to 30 amps output.  Googled "how to modifie computer power supplies" and found the information on each one.  Took me about 20 to 30 minutes per unit to convert afterward I had 22 good power supplies for RGB or anything else with a range of power outputs.  Total cost for all 22 units under $20.00.  .   

Roger - I would be interested in learing what and how you accomplished this.  If you can, please drop any detailed information that you have on this as I am very interested.

The best way to get the information is Google "how to modify computer power supply" or "how to modify computer power supply to 13.8v".  This will give you several to chose from and some youtube videos on how to do it.  I could try and explain it all but I am not really anygood at that and I don't want to lead someone down the wrong path.  I know it works and works will as I have done this for several years while working on ham radio and other power supplies.  In some cases you can even put in the power supply model number and it will give it to you.  NOTE NOTE  Not all supplies can be converted but I would say 95% can.  I went out today and picked up another 20 for less than $15.00 and I am sure most of us know where we can get them, I would say all of us have some dead computers around and can use them.  If you get stuck or have trouble you can email me and I will try and answer your questions.  Roger

My only advise is to get a volt meter and a infrared temperature gauge.  The volt meter is used to test voltage, resistance etc.  The temp gauge is to see if anything is hot as you should not touch it anywhere while it's on.  This sounds like common sense, but crazy things can happen.

The reason I say this is I touched the "heat sink" on one and to my -54 volts of DC surprise it was energized.  Needless to say these were recycled for good.  I have touched 120v AC before but for some reason this was insanely more powerful.

Learn from my story and be safe.

My only advise is to get a volt meter and a infrared temperature gauge.  The volt meter is used to test voltage, resistance etc.  The temp gauge is to see if anything is hot as you should not touch it anywhere while it's on.  This sounds like common sense, but crazy things can happen.

The reason I say this is I touched the "heat sink" on one and to my -54 volts of DC surprise it was energized.  Needless to say these were recycled for good.  I have touched 120v AC before but for some reason this was insanely more powerful.

Learn from my story and be safe.

This is a truly shocking story. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DSE" data-cid="598769" data-time="1357884257"><p>

Glad. You are ok. Jeff good lesson for allAnyone have a good source for temp reader?</p></blockquote>

Harbor Freight has a temp reader for around $30 $40 bucks and you can use the 20% off coupon.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DSE" data-cid="598769" data-time="1357884257"><p>

Glad. You are ok. Jeff good lesson for allAnyone have a good source for temp reader?</p></blockquote>

Harbor Freight has a temp reader for around $30 $40 bucks and you can use the 20% off coupon.

Thanks checking on that now

Getting over the flu.... :blink: