Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Andy Anderson

Announcing The 6Th Annual Virginia Mini On May 18

We have several great demonstrations lined up so far. 

Roger Forbes will be bringing his LED tester to demonstrate.  He will also bring a set of parts to show how to put a tester together.  He will also bring a couple of relay box units to show us how to make a device to cut off your static display during the LOR show.

Charles Kerr will bring a small 2801/2811/2812/GE Color Effect DMX pixel controller he designed/built, a low cost usb dongle, and the software he wrote for the Mac OSX to run and visualize a show (currently sequenced with LOR S3). 

Rich Fennig will be bringing some DIY equipment to demonstrate. 

If anyone else has things they want to show off please bring them to the mini. 

3G Lighting Creations of Dallas, TX is a sponsor of the Virginia Mini.  They will be donating some door prizes for the mini.  We thank them for their support.

Their web site is www.3glightingcreations.com

Hi Andy,

Lucy and I won't be able to make it this year. We have a conflict with another event we had committed to. Looking forward to hearing about all the great demos this year.

John

Any one have a 5V power supply they can bring for Charles to use?

I have a 300W ATX power supply that has binding post for 12v, 5v and 3.3v that can be used, I can put in it in with the other items I was going to bring with me.

Steve

andy,  I just wanted to confirm that Noel and I will be coming Sat.   I will bring potatoe salad like last year.  Also cup cakes and cookies maybe brownies. See everyone around 11:15 Sat..

I will be bringing some roast beef, ham and cheese for sandwiches. 

Anyone want to bring some buns, mayo and mustard?

Paul, looking forward to some of your delicious cup cakes.  They were a hit last year and the previous year.  Also looking forward to seeing you and Noel.

Andy,  I'll bring some buns.  (How many?)  Also I was going to try and bring one of my DMX RGB Arches. will there be power available?? 

Barry

Barry, 

We are expecting about 20 or so attendees.  Power is available. 

Andy

Andy,  I'll bring some buns.  (How many?)  Also I was going to try and bring one of my DMX RGB Arches. will there be power available?? 

Barry

We need a power point projector.  We found out tonight that the one we were planning on using is broken.  Does anyone have a power point projector that they can bring on Saturday?

We need a power point projector.  We found out tonight that the one we were planning on using is broken.  Does anyone have a power point projector that they can bring on Saturday?

Andy,  I have a projector I can bring to connect to a computer or DVD player - Its an Optoma GT360.  

Thank you.  Please bring the projector.  We have a lap top for connection.

Andy,  I have a projector I can bring to connect to a computer or DVD player - Its an Optoma GT360.  

Just 2 days until the Virginia mini.  Things are shaping up for another excellent day with fellow Christmas enthusiasts.

The entrance to the room we will be using is on the left side of the church. 

Glen Allen Baptist Church, 3018 Mountain Road, Glen Allen, VA  23060

Don’t forget that every one should bring some food to share with the group for lunch. 

Al Thompson’s cell phone number is          804-370-1264  in case you need it Saturday.

After missing last years mini I was really looking forward to seeing everybody again Sat. unfortunately, once again, something has come up and I will not be able to make it.  Hope everyone has a great time and my apologies for bowing out so late.

Be sure and bring any connecting cords that you need for your projector.

Sent you a PM - bottom line -- no problems - I will bring all the cables, looking forward to the sharing.

Thanks,

Mike

What type of connector does one need to connect to the project?  HDMI? DVI?

I will bring two projectors Optoma GT360 and a BenQ722 - the BenQ has the most hours, but is reliable - I have attached photos of the back connectors for each projector.

The Optoma has the following inputs:

VGA(YPbPr/ RGB/SCART) x1

S-Video x1

Composite Video x1

Mini-jack Audio output x1

RS232 Control Port x1

RCA Audio in x 2 (R & L)

The BenQ has the following inputs:

D-Sub (VGA)

S-Video

Composite video input

DVI

RS-232

Hope this helps, I have cables to connect to a Computer via VGA or DVD player via RCA.

I DON't have a S-video, HDMI or DVI cable.

Sincerely,

Mike

post-13414-0-41778100-1368836455_thumb.j

post-13414-0-36281300-1368836472_thumb.j

Ok, I got an adaptor for my macbook pro to go from mini dvi to VGA.  Hopefully there will be some extra extender cables to interconnect them.

Ok, I got an adaptor for my macbook pro to go from mini dvi to VGA.  Hopefully there will be some extra extender cables to interconnect them.

Should be good to go, have a VGA cable that would hook to your converter (mini dvi to VGA).