Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
TRFTS

I Have Never Seen These Before

I suspect they are moldcraft. Silvestri was a chicago company that was a distributor for professional grade display products for many years, They didn't really make anything themselves, but had other companys make their products for them, and sold them under their name. They were one of the first companies to sell miniature italian lights in the us starting in 1959. They had them made in italy, and sold them in the US under the Silvestri brand name, both to professional display companies direct, and on the retai level through select stores, such as Marshall Field & Co.

They also "made" a line commercial grade mechanical animation, and those were made at their facility on Ohio street in chicago for a time, but the person who was in charge of the mechanical animation department left, and started his own company, and Silvestri no longer made it in house after that.

I have some moldcraft pieces from 1958, the material on these seems to be more rubber like than mine...which are harder.  they could even be heller industries. from the label date.

there is a set similar to these in one of the side display windows @ Bronners in michigan, The "altar" is actually the organ bench, and then he sat and played an organ with pipes in the background.  Atleast i think thats similar to what they have.

I almost bought those at an auction this past summer but my van was full from the poloron blow molds I bought (got 3 choir people, a nativity with 2 shepards).  They were auctioning off stuff from a church.  I didn't stick around to see how much they went for.  There were a couple more pieces to the set than just the 2 fatluvrboy is selling on ebay.  Funny part, kind of, is i took the original boxes to those Silvestri choir people home with me since they were were just being thrown out there.

there is a set similar to these in one of the side display windows @ Bronners in michigan, The "altar" is actually the organ bench, and then he sat and played an organ with pipes in the background.  Atleast i think thats similar to what they have.

yes I have to agree that the alter is actually an organ as he looks like he is playing it whoever got those got a good deal

I just ran a cross this post. The winner was me. I never thought I would get them for the price!!! I have restored the little guy's and did something a little more to the display! I kept the paint the same( I love the vantage look) and I worked with latex to do the repairs to the body. had to heat the body's to get them back shape!!! I am now makings books to go with them!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/myers103178/d1968c8a-bed6-4793-ba79-8a436500bb23.jpg

Edited by [email protected]

Oh that looks awesome!! I am amazed how you found just the right size piano to fit and work so well with them!! :) Wonderful, Congrats on a good deal and beautiful new display pieces!!

Oh that looks awesome!! I am amazed how you found just the right size piano to fit and work so well with them!! :) Wonderful, Congrats on a good deal and beautiful new display pieces!!

Thank you!! I did luck-out on this display!!! Love this set.This may be a long shot....I am always looking for more Mold-Craft choir people! If you know someone willing to sale hit me up!!

After a few weeks of e-mails I have now have the complete set of the "Mold craft. Silvestri" Choir kids....!! The man that I was lucky to get the first two from sold me the rest ! Can't wait to get them. I have never seen something like this set!!!
"http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/myers103178/050.jpg"

Those are great looking choir kids, you are very fortunate to have them for your Christmas display, I am sure that many here would love to have them in their collection. For the benefit of newbies to the wonderful world of blow molds I feel that I should mention that Silvestri and Mold-Craft were two different companies, at the time Silvestri made these choir kids (1954) they were located in Chicago and Mold-Craft was located in Port Washington, WI. Mold-Craft was making the Wiken collection of choir kids that year.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

I just ran a cross this post. The winner was me. I never thought I would get them for the price!!! I have restored the little guy's and did something a little more to the display! I kept the paint the same( I love the vantage look) and I worked with latex to do the repairs to the body. had to heat the body's to get them back shape!!! I am now makings books to go with them!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/myers103178/d1968c8a-bed6-4793-ba79-8a436500bb23.jpg

After a few weeks of e-mails I have now have the complete set of the "Mold craft. Silvestri" Choir kids....!! The man that I was lucky to get the first two from sold me the rest ! Can't wait to get them. I have never seen something like this set!!!

Congratulations on your finds, and on your repair work.  They look awesome!  And as Mel said, I'm sure there are many out here who would love to have them in their collections.  I know I'm one!

Well it certainly was my pleasure, and am so glad that they went to a true collector who can admire their beauty, I know that you will take very good care of them:) 

Frank

Last part of our outside decorations are complete!
What started as a bread box has now turned into a Victorian pump organ...I think?? All material was recycled " Junk" leftover from redecorating the house..... Not too bad for a first timer!!! All of the " "Mold craft. Silvestri" Choir kids are now restored to rear mint !! I had them in my workshop working on them and I wented you guy's and gal's to see them...A "BIG THANK YOU!!! " to Frank.

post-8825-0-85326900-1385353354_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-36612900-1385353387_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-78617500-1385353546_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-80606600-1385353566_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-81701800-1385353602_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-65844100-1385353626_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-91605900-1385353667_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-34749900-1385353853_thumb.jp

You have done a fantastic job on the choir kids even down to the detail of different colored eyes on some of them.  Anyone would be proud to have those in their display and collection.  You also have a great looking organ there.

Mel

Thank you Mel...I was going for the vintage look on the Victorian pump organ !! Do you have image's of any other "Mold craft. Silvestri" I found this one on google 2ed photo!!! looks like my set some what!

post-8825-0-39458200-1385362360_thumb.jp

post-8825-0-58379000-1385362375_thumb.jp

Sorry to say that I don't have any other pictures of the Silvestri items.  They are beautiful and we would love to have a set ourselves.  How are the chances of getting pictures of each of your pieces to upload to blow-molded.com?

Mel