Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
thebaronn

1.5Gb Lor Sequence! New Year's Skrillex Mix At The Happyholidayhome

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 PM

I am working backwards this year. I am going to officially post my New Year’s Skrillex Mix Video to YouTube before my Christmas videos. I was really excited about this video and I just had to finish it right away. I added 2 songs to the mix so it is a little longer this year. This song is 4:23 long and is 1.54GB in size!! That’s right, over a GIG of LOR goodness!!! I started sequencing with my 5 year old laptop with 32bit windows vista, but once the songs were over 300MB, it just froze. So I had to move to the big computer. This song was the largest of the season and once the song was over 900MB I ran into the same issues, so I had to figure out a work around. LOR S3 will not open the file without a little help. I had to tweak the program to allow it to use more memory than the 2GB allowed. My big computer runs 64bit Windows 7. I was able to make the 32bit LOR program use more memory my making it “large address aware” (basically like telling a basketball team, hey! You know you have a full court? You don’t have to just stay on ½ the court) At its highest usage it was almost a 4GB (mostly jumps when saving). The song takes the sequencer exactly 3 minutes to open and 5:45 to save. The bulk of the size comes from the pixel matrix. I rendered video at 15fps in LightShowPro, then exported it to LOR and added it to the sequence. When I tried to play the song using the control panel I received the following:

“ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (cannot allocate memory for play event nodes)”

That was using compressed sequences and it still would not load. So I had to make LORMonitor large address aware also, then everything was fine. I was able to play all 6 sequences with no lag. They ranged from 1.54GB, 758MB, 426MB, 175MB, 168MB, and 95MB. Only a few seconds between songs also, no “wait for it…” pauses.

Here are some screen shots of the madness: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.512317422132996.120937.323555271009213&type=3 

And now! Here is the video. Let me know what you think!

There has been a lot of interest it what computers are running what shows, so here is my show computer build:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

On a side note. Has anyone else experienced audio shift on youtube when uploading files in flv format? I finally gave up and uploaded a massive MPEG.

That's awesome!! A little crazy too  :P  How did you do your matrix, what kind of pixels and which system did you use?

Also, I've sequenced a couple songs with over 3k channels, and was wondering if you have a lag when you play the sequence, even if its just for a second?

first off amazing job with the skrillex,

2nd, this is the problem with LOR, they need to adress the issue of RGB and file sizes...either that or change the way the program runs because at this point im probably going to need a bigger machine next year too...

first off amazing job with the skrillex,

2nd, this is the problem with LOR, they need to adress the issue of RGB and file sizes...either that or change the way the program runs because at this point im probably going to need a bigger machine next year too...

I agree. With the tweak, I was able to have LOR use 4GB of memory and towards the end, I was still getting "out of memory" issues when saving. It's funny, the same sqeucne in LSP is only 193MB.

Right now the computer helps but only to a certain degree.

That's awesome!! A little crazy too  :P  How did you do your matrix, what kind of pixels and which system did you use?

Also, I've sequenced a couple songs with over 3k channels, and was wondering if you have a lag when you play the sequence, even if its just for a second?

No lag, but I did increase the memory allcated to the program, so that probably helped a lot.

Here is the matrix info: