Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Leroy

Anybody Else Have A Tough Year?

This year didn't go at all like I expected.  My work obligations tied up every weekend in Oct.  My new driveway arch needed repairs before I even got it set up.  I ended up having to replace more strings of lights than ever before.  My son had touble making arrangements to come over and help me put my Bethlehim star on the roof.  When  I  finally started operating, we had lots of rain and my GFI's shut down my show several nights. I messed up my light count on a couple of channels and had to move components to different channels which mient I had to do some quick changes in sequences.   Now because of bronchitis and work I still don't have things down yet.  All in all, a disappointing year.  Can anyone relate?

YES!!! Work, family and church commitments delayed us getting our set-up going.  I was already behind getting several items re-wired.  We ended up replacing 2 sets of lights on all of our mini trees (45) with led- the incans were dying fast... We got the show running and kept adding elements for the first 4 nights.  We added a video projection with a 8 x 16 screen- the winds kept pulling it down with different frames(it stayed down after pulling down 1 1/4 galvanized pipe!  When we finished the season we all had the flu and we just now started working for 1-2 hours a night... some down a lot to go!

for sure...  I was planning and excited about my first LOR year... also, having this great location to do a wonderful display at my moms... However, in October, my partner had major complications of surgery and life has completely changed... after spending 58 days in ICU and 8 surgeries later... we were able to go "home"  2 weeks before xmas.. i was only able to put up 4 stands of lights and 3 of my big ornaments...

So, yeah.. not the year i was expecting...  but at least he is alive and on the long road to recovery...  

Same here. Last year was our first year animated, and I was able to produce four sequenced songs, eight arches, mega tree, built my Holdman Star. This year, I barely had enough time to sequence two songs, and the only thing different i did to the display was add red and green to the mega tree and made it bigger. 2012 was a hectic year personally for us. Hopefully 2013 will be better. 

I ended up completing what was planned of adding 32 addition channels, 2 arches, mini trees, ect. Sequenced 10 songs, and built 2 motorized plywood cut outs, but it wasn't easy. We had our first child November 2nd, so worked 2 and 3 jobs during the summer to help supplement some income and save some extra money. Then 6 days after my son was born I totaled my '09 dodge ram truck and have had knee pain and back pain since. Hopefully 2013 will go easier lol

Well after buying a ton of RGB strips.and pixel strings. My plan was to start hanging lights in September however a few work trips made my schedule change that to the first week on November. Then while in Germany for 3 weeks I got sick and ended up in a hospital in deep east Germany for 7 days flew home and was admitted to a hospital at home, By the time I was we'll enough to do anything it was to late, no display in 2012 it will make for a even better 2013 with the additional items I ordered. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had a tough few years had to sell all my old display that I have been building up for may be 20 years and then I could not decorate at all because of where I was living I am now in a new house of my own not even a HOA to put up with ha ha so I will be making up for it big time in this years Christmas season ha ha

Oh yes, from my wife being diagnosed with cancer to my father being in and out of the hospital. So take some time off of work to get the display up with updated songs. No problem until the Hurricane Sandy came and sent a curveball. Animated lighting couldn't update my shows due to the hurricane destroying the work they had done in New York City. So now I am stuck with the shows from the last 4 years.

I finally was able to get some of the display up with balancing the schedules around and do it at night when things calm down. Go to turn on the display on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the wife had the 24 hour flu bug then I get the 24 hour flu bug early Sunday morning for the entire day. Hey the lights went on but the day I wanted to add more and finish up just didn't happen. I was able to help another friend get his display set up..that was a good feeling. This year hopefully is better...Now using LOR and have 5 shows ready for 2013 already....... 

PC friends:

Your troubles make my seem small by comparison/ I play we will all have a better year and happier reports next January.

Well after I decided to sell off some of my controllers and went from 324 channels to 176 channels in 2012 that made things a bit easier for me. I had my display taken down completey on Jan.2/13.....wires & all. I covered my wires so they did not freeze to the ground.

Pior to selling some of the controllers I was thinking of not doing a display in 2012 & have a year off as it can become to much for 1 guy. It was cunsuming to much of my time & will I had to find the right balance.

This year I am good to go & stay with a more managable size display.

Been a tough year here, too.  Most of the year 2012 recovering from foot surgery, caught the respiratory virus that lasted months, fell and broke my foot, weak, and all this time my husband was busy working extra hard at work, preparing for and traveling to interviews out of state and lots of rain.  We only had one decoraton to take down this weekend, and a windstorm broke it...our Mega Fan.   Came home in the middle of Tornado Warnings and it was on the ground.   One of our controllers burned up from all the water that got inside and so it croaked.  Wow, a burnt up controller really smells bad!   A real Bummer!  I think my Karma is all outta whack.  2013 has got to be better!  

Edited by Darlene Pino

Darlene:

While I'm glad to hear from you and to see your name again, I'm really sorry to hear about the awful year you had.  I hope yoI ampur foot is well by now and work is calming down.  I'm afraid mine is getting heavier.  I am praying for all the PC folks here who have bad trying years.   It is quite amazing that we all persevere in the midst of surgeries, illnesses, accidents, split responsibilitites and rising costs.  God bless you each one, friends.  Leroy

Well after I decided to sell off some of my controllers and went from 324 channels to 176 channels in 2012 that made things a bit easier for me. I had my display taken down completey on Jan.2/13.....wires & all. I covered my wires so they did not freeze to the ground.

Pior to selling some of the controllers I was thinking of not doing a display in 2012 & have a year off as it can become to much for 1 guy. It was cunsuming to much of my time & will I had to find the right balance.

This year I am good to go & stay with a more managable size display.

How did you cover wires when I last had a display I had wires going every which way and I cant think of how to cover them unless I tarp the whole yard ha ha

Wow, many had much more challenges then I did.   However, it still hurts when you find how fast time goes by, my bug-a-boo was controllers, one failed a channel during early testing, but my brand new LOR unit lost a channel two days after Christmas day - and I run until January 6th.

Then I had 3 different sets of lights just quit and a light linker (which tests just fine) was not working correctly on my arches when it got very cold out, and it was not a range issue.  And then the rain, I have learned more about GFI then I ever wanted to.

Even if you have your controller plugs in two different curcuits and lot's of power overhead, i.e. 20 amp curcuit with only 11 - 12 amp draw, they still trigger when moisture is in the air.  GFI's do not like surging of the power draws.

Oh, did I mention a guy wire went during a nor' easter wind and I woke up to find my 10 foot high, 6,400 light mega-tree bent over to the ground about 1 week into December?

I just hope this year goes smoother, it has become so much work that it wears you down and takes out the fun.

Ah well, will see how we go this season - going to increase controller channels and only add another 7 or 8,000 lights. :P

Edited by Crazy Tech

Friends:

I started this discussion  thread mostly to air my own frustration, but it's obvious we all have our challenges.  I thought I was the only guy having a bad time this year but I'm in good company, it seems.  Today, Sunday, I finally got some more of my lights down. My set up is not nearly as big as most of them here but my work and church obligations have made it very hard for me to get anything done.  I got my Holdman Bethlehem star, firesticks, and icicle lights down off the roof today.  Taking the star apart and getting it all down off the roof is task.  Just unscrewing 175 c-9;s takes time..I stepped across the street to talk to a neighbor and he said, "Why are you taking it down?  In 8 months, you'll be putting it all up again!"  WOW!  At least the rest of the lights in the trees and bushes are not as noticable.   I was late in getting set up this year and now I'm later than ever in getting things down.  I'm hoping a better year for all of  us!

holy crud you un screw all your c9 bulb that is just crazy ha ha I would neve have the time to do that but more power to ya ha ha glad you got stuff down now

Well, it helps explain why he takes so long taking it down and putting it up.  I just by sealed sets, that way I don't do have to "screw" around with any bulbs.

I think that most everybody has had some form of trouble in the last year or two it seems.

I know that I have been pretty depressed over a lot of things as well as I have artithis, tendonitis, and a bad back that is really getting to be almost unbearable some times.  Also the bad economy has taken most of the home building work out of the area I live in so finding jobs is a very tough prospect now.  There are quite a few of us (at least those who have not moved away yet) that are fighting for the little jobs that come around not often enough.

Seems like we barely make enough to pay even a few of the monthly bills and then a new month starts up and we are still behind.

I have been giving more and more thuoght to selling my display to pay things but I really hate too.  The people here have come to really enjoy the shows in December as a "winter break" and I like to do it for them as well.  But it seems like things don't really improve much here even in the summer when this little town goes from just under 1000 full time residents to over 5000 summer people.  Plus this area is the middle of a forever wild park that has a lot of restrictions on building anyway.  Another thing is that my town is an hour and a half from a city of any size (ie - 30,000 or more people) and that does not help much.

So you see, things may not be so bad for you after!  There will always be someone who is worse off than you think you are (and I know because there are younger peopler here with a couple of kids that are worse off than me).  I scrape by and make do without a lot to try and survive but I do believe that I am on a "lost cause" due to a lot of things as well as my health.  Only time will tell.

So hang in there and count your blessings.  Things can always get worse but we can make them better if we try.

Hey, I woke up and it does not look like a bad day outside so bonus - it's a winner so far  !!!

All I know is that my year was tough but for different reasons Im finally coming to the conclusion that my health isnt going to get any better and that Ill never work again so all the financial issues we have been having are more then likely going to get worse and Im just crossing my fingers that my kids will help me more this up coming year or I might not get it all up I just dont feel good but Im too determined or maybe its just too stupid to quit come hell or high water Ill beg for the help and get it up I hope.....Im just praying I have a good garage sale and flea market year or I might not be adding much this year my funds just wont allow me to buy new anymore so its used or broken or nothing for me Im just gonna keep my fingers crossed....

As I have said in some of my earlier posts, I had no problems compared to other folks.   It is interesting that in spite of illnesses, lost jobs, surgeries, failed controllers and lights, we all keep going.  Our hobby must be an obcession or an awful lot of fun.  I'm not sure which it is but I'm still hooked on it.  Today  wll start putting my stuff away permanently for the season, except for the stuff that needs work.  I am now starting on my theme song for 2013 and my basic layout.  So, in spite of all my complaints and frustrations, here we go again!  Anybody else going on in spite of tough times and, if so, why?  Let's see if we can figure out this crazy obcession.

Hats off to all those who stuck with the Christmas obsession despite the setbacks and hardships. Choosing to win the battle in a positive way and not let it bring you down or possibly turn to another addiction is very commendable. After reading through some of these I can only say, there but by the grace of god go I. Stay positive and give the ones you love a hug today and tell them you love them.

Life is good.

Car accident, sickness in the family, FREEZING cold temperatures, trying to get Xlights to work my 550 channel LOR display, lazy son, son in College and overworked son who's attitude is poor all led to a compromised display this year. Last year we took first place, this year by the time we got our stuff going, the contest was over and we won NOTHING!!! This is a tuff hobby to get everything going in just a few weekends. However it was my fault. I didn't test anything in the summer time like I should have. --Greg--

FREEZING cold temperatures --Greg--

That is the only thing I can relate too in your post. lol  However this kind of weather is typical  Edmonton, AB weather. Snowed really heavy the whole month of November & most of December up to about December 21and it was like 3.5ft of snow & because of the cold it simply stays & does not melt. I had to shovel the front yard to see my mini trees, fans & what not. The snow & cold kept people away until the weather warmed a to 32F then the folks came for the last 1.5 week up until last night. Other than that everything went well once I got the CCR Matrix to work just before the opening night.  I am happy for the most part.

I have to add to my tough year:  The day after I got released from the doctor about the  broken foot, i tore a ligament in my knee.  Yikes, another year of healing!  I hope the third time is the charm and no more injuries!