Lighted Tombstones

Brian Fife

Probably getting a light o rama this year and I am looking to make some changes to my halloween display to make it more of a light show. I have seen videos were people have their tombstones outlined in lights, I no they sell these kits from wowights but I think I could do it my self for a lot less money. Would it look good if I just wrap the outline of the tombstones with leds from my christmas light show, or would I have to use rope light or something like that? If other people have done this could you show me pictures or videos or even just explain it or let me know if this idea wont look good and will take all the spookiness out of my graveyard.

Brian

Here is one of five tombstones I built last year for my 1st Light O Rama light show.

Built from double layers of 2" styrofoam, routed for rope light and painted with Drylock paint.

Each stone operated independently from the contoller with a singing face.

For the first year not a bad start but looking to add this year.

Hope the photo attaches here, my first atempt at posting a photo on the forum

PAnorthpole

post-17963-0-37274400-1358389001_thumb.j

@bisquit476 do you think that would still work good with dome style leds, my red lights are mini domes and my greens are c7s but I could pop the bulb covers off to put them through.

I'm not sure, the styrofoam tombstones are pretty thick. That was why the purple lights didn't work well, the aren't that bright at the ends.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering why everyone uses Styrofoam for tombstones and not just use wood?  The zoo around here has tombstones and it is just plywood that they painted and then wrote the saying of who was there. We were thinking of using wood and drilling holes to put minis around the tombstone, probably clear, for the light.  You won't be able to see the sayings during the show, not that they would be on long enough anyways to read it with it being sequenced, but I thought it would work.  reasons why this would/wouldn't work?  I was also a little concerned about using spots.  I was concerned about power consumption and don't the lights blow quickly from turning on and off?

Thanks!

Edited by musicman

I was wondering why everyone uses Styrofoam for tombstones and not just use wood?  The zoo around here has tombstones and it is just plywood that they painted and then wrote the saying of who was there. We were thinking of using wood and drilling holes to put minis around the tombstone, probably clear, for the light.  You won't be able to see the sayings during the show, not that they would be on long enough anyways to read it with it being sequenced, but I thought it would work.  reasons why this would/wouldn't work?  I was also a little concerned about using spots.  I was concerned about power consumption and don't the lights blow quickly from turning on and off?

Thanks!

Wood works just fine I have about a dozen of them in different shapes. The two inch foam is also nice for the depth. You can have a crack go diag or oriz. Etching the foam is real easy also by using pvc pipe cleaner or hot wire. The depth part comes in real nice for spotting the stone. The depth gives real cool shadows.

I have a mix of both some in the show and some are static. I use leds for my spot and have not had an issue with any burn outs and the power is no worries.

Those look great and real.  They might not have the 3d but still great! I do like the idea of wood because it lasts longer.  Our original "tune to" sign that we use for Christmas is still going strong and it's been 6 years!  How do you keep them upright?  Not sure where everyone is from that does the Halloween, but I'm in Ohio and we could get rain, snow, sleet, could be 80, WHO KNOWS. So I want to use stuff that will last for years and also will hold up to wind.

They are held upright with a 2x2 pressure treated stake. The 2x2 comes 8' long from the lumber yard and was cut down to (3) 32" sections, then an angle cut on one end. Two screws hold them on which are painted over. We have the same weather here, October is a rainy month and occasionally snow on Halloween.