Plexi or Acrylic box

BetterDays

Is there any way to create a box shape completely from plexi without having to reinforce the edges (as it would take away from the effect)?

I was thinking heat and let it melt together, but I am pretty sure that there has to be a better way.

Thanks for any and all assitance.

Kevin

No weight on the box (possibly another box?) or a bow ;)

I plan to put a flocked Christmas Tree (my parents old one) on the front porch and make presents. But, what is the best way to make presents.... I thought about the plexi that is translucent (think shower glass) an put some lights (or a larger light) on the inside... in my head, "voila, illuminated present".

Which of course made me start thinking about everything else (since I have new landscaping this year), how to make a killer river in lights, and of course, some of my recent and future posts...

This addiction is killing me... I need to work on my car, so I may install my holiday lights program on the laptop and take it to work with me so that I can play on my lunch hour...

(preaching to the choir, I know) :laughing:

Kevin - look for a product called Weldon #4. It actually melts the plastic, and when it dries, the plastic fuses together. http://www.sdplastics.com/weldon.htmlThe other types are thicker, or dry faster or... you name it. I've found that #4 works great for me.

I used this to make a sump for my reef tank. It has been under my tank holding 30 (it would hold 52 gallons if filled to the top) gallons of water for the last 4 years with not a trace of leakage. Oh, and no reinforcing along the edges.

The secret is to cut the acrylic so that the edges are square. You can do this on a table saw with the proper plastic cutting blade, or you may be able to achieve acceptable results by scoring and snapping the acrylic. Measure twice (no, three times) and cut carefully.

Happy gluing !

Dave

gstarr wrote:

I am going to be using a clear box for a part of my display.  Have you thought about ones already created.  The one I bought on ebay was is a full size basketball display.  By the time I spent the money on materials it was cheaper.

That's what I was thinking:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Size-Acrylic-Basketball-Display-Case-NEW-LOW-PRICE_W0QQitemZ120018249496QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2826QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BetterDays wrote:

No weight on the box (possibly another box?) or a bow ;)

I plan to put a flocked Christmas Tree (my parents old one) on the front porch and make presents. But, what is the best way to make presents.... I thought about the plexi that is translucent (think shower glass) an put some lights (or a larger light) on the inside... in my head, "voila, illuminated present".

I have built a prototype gift box using white .0010 polystyrene and C9s. I like the look it produces, much like mottled wrapping paper. You must make provision for the bulbs to be with about one inch of the styrene for the best effect.I have alsomounted a laser widow in the box to create laser pattern on the styrene. The trick is you must move the C9s out of the way to have a clear easel for the laser. Mounting the laser on the outside and projecting it on the white styrene solves this problem but creates another box for weather protection.

BetterDays wrote:

kamahilights wrote:

Details, please. That looks very interesting.

Hi - have a look at my post here :

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum13/5122.html

The "frame" is just my normal 1/4" rusty steel rod but with plenty of "K16" (a anti rust paint sold here) and painted black. Lights nothing special. The blue one actually shows up better in the real than the photo would suggest . . .

Pardon the pun, but some lights just went off in my head (thanks for the advice and pics).

With no frame on the box, it will be a colored object on the porch. With a frame, you will be able to tell that it is a defined shape. Based on this, 1X1 will work as a frame. Tulle (or possibly screen material) may work as well (and is less expensive), but one concern is snow and how well it will hold up. I think the frosted (that was what I was looking for before on the description) would distribute the light inside without having the focus on the bulbs). Another issue is weight (since we do get some wintery winds here), but that can be resolved using something weighted (possibly a frame to place everything on).

In lieu of 1X1, I may be able to use molding (specifically corner molding). Pre-drilled holes, a few nuts, bolts, & washers, and the frame will be on the exterior by overlapping the molding on the inside and outside (plexi in-between). The molding would be painted to match the light color.

I should make a couple and see all of the differences... After all, not all presents receive the same wrapping paper, right? :shock:

I wonder how the flocking will hold up on the tree? Even if it falls off, I should be able to salvage the tree for next year...

So many ideas, so little time. And trying to figure out how to run the power (since I will need to keep the driveway clear due to walking conditions.

Once again, thank you for the advice and pics. Keep them coming, please!!!