My First Year As A Newbie

Okay, really newbie here.  So new, I don;t yet have a display!!  I am working on a static display with about 10,000 lights. I will be making the rounds of those in the Wichita Kansas area who let me see their work in the daytime, so I can kinda figure out where to go with this. I may try a short animated piece with about 3000 of the 10,000 lights or so planned for the static display. I am just a little leery, not only in getting it done properly, but catching the bug, and not stopping.....ever....I have a habit of sometimes letting my hobbies becoming....well, lifechangers.

Catch the bug - it will LIGHT up your life - bunda bing!  We all start somewhere, I started with only 3,000 and one controler, now have 4 LOR controllers and 4 CCR - and 35,000 lights.

Catch the bug - it will LIGHT up your life - bunda bing!  We all start somewhere, I started with only 3,000 and one controler, now have 4 LOR controllers and 4 CCR - and 35,000 lights.

Love your intro to this post :cool: talk about catchin' the BUG I started with 1 controller 3 yrs ago and now I have 15 and in the process of trying to scrounge up another one and up to 70,000 led lights and this will only be our 3rd season............Hooo Boy!!

Wish I could spare some. I always calculate my wire needs and double it, believe it or not I still seem to fall short. One of the most asked questions by visitors is how many extension cords I use, a couple of years ago I actually sat down and worked it up, just over seven miles. That is the definition of insanity.

Bill I was just giving you a hard time. :) Ended up running my LOR controllers in the garage and has increased my footage of wire needed. Bought 250 ft only got me 4 runs and some change so I bought another 500ft got everything ran but two CCP and 4 of ten channels on the arches so will need another 250 min but thinking bout trying to go 500. Wife aggro is getting high first year with LOR and over a grand. Keep telling her I just need a little more.................

Edited by lance1132000

Love your intro to this post :cool: talk about catchin' the BUG I started with 1 controller 3 yrs ago and now I have 15 and in the process of trying to scrounge up another one and up to 70,000 led lights and this will only be our 3rd season............Hooo Boy!!

OMG - I am going into year 4 and I thought I am MAD - your 3rd year and 70,000 lights!  Your one crazyed lightning bug - now I have to respond to your light count - CHALLENGE ACCEPTED - I must add MORE lights next year!

Don't even get me started on controllers.....another 4000 ft. of spt1 arrived today and that wire has to go to something :P

LOL - oh yeah, I know the feeling, I purchased 2,000 ft last year and it was gone for one set of mini-trees.  I have a large yard so from controller to mini-trees 100 feet PER channel - d'oh - (if you want to see the yard check out the photos / video at www.crazytechchristmas.com - so this year I ordered 4,000 ft more!  Not to mention the 300 extension cords I have, from 9 to 80 ft each.  My wife jokes I have more than then Home Depot these days.

• 2 months later...

wow.  3 years in?  How exciting!! Only made about 8000 lights this year.  No animations, but already planning to add another 3 to 7000 lights  next year for a total of somwhere between 10 and 15k. It will be a mix of static display, and animated. Kinda small street exposure on the street. I have at least the next 9 months to figure out how it all works, and design the display!!