My First Year As A Newbie

Well, today is exactly 1 year later after i started here as a newbie. Last Christmas was my first display with Light-O-Rama, and it was great. Never felt so happy in my life.

I started with 3 LOR controllers and almost 32.000 lights for my first year.

Here in Belgium lights on music is very new to people so we got a lot of visitors. People came from whole over the country to visit our display. But most of all.... the Virtual Santa :-) Everybody loved it, mature and children :-)

We made 2 local newspapers and 1 local television, the media were really amazed seeing this here for the first time :-)

But i couldn't have done it with the help of a lot of people here on PC. So i want to thank those people here a thousand times for there help and information.

So to all the newbies that just arrived and will arrive here on PC.... WELCOME!! You came to the right place. Ask your questions, don't be affaid, there are no such things as stupid questions ;-)

Here's a video of our 2012 display. The virtual santa has been re-edited in the video because the maker of the video used it for another project. But on youtube you can find more movies of the display where you can see that the VS is present in the display ;-)

And this is a video of the starting up at dec 7th. I wasn't expecting a lot of people but when i opened the garage door i found almost 100 people standing on the street to watch the lights come up. Speech is in dutch as i live in Belgium offcourse :-) Quick translate is that i welcome everybody and that this is all my wife's doing as she asked me to put out a light or two with christmas :D

Really nice job ....

Loved the Fireworks....nice touch

Question, what is the length of the 8 led tubes you used for the starburst effect on the front of your house.....The 3 sets of those really look good. 

Edited by gmac

Thanks Mcas

@gmac : I used the 30cm (1ft?) led tubes from ebay for these starbust effect. They are very cheap and free shipping. They worked great during the whole season and believe me, we had rain almost every day in december.

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/30CM-8-Tube-160-LED-White-Mini-Snowfall-Meteor-LED-Lights-Wedding-Outdoor-2-/300682252202?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item46020f0faa

This is a picture of the starbust effect :

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/speedyken/17072012168.jpg

@showtime : Yes indeed, the Virtual Santa is truly a great adding to the show. Everybody loved it. Some children came up to me and asked me to ask the santa upstairs to come down, they believed it was real :D

Edited by speedyken
Thanks for the nice comments everybody. Gmac you received my pm about the video editing program?

Sorry, But I checked again and NO pm was in my box......Would you please try again

Also I'll duplicate this post in a pm to you.......maybe it's broke (LOL)  

Edited by gmac

Maybe i did something wrong... to much worries regarding christmas lights on my mind last couple of days Gene :-)

The video editing programm my friend uses for these video's is called Cynerlinck Power Director 10. There should also be a newer version 11.

When you have the programm you can download the snow effects etc.. to add to the programm. According to him these downloads are free.

Hope this helps :-)

If you have more questions i'll be glad to ask him

Gunther

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And I thought I was crazy - good grief - starting with 3 controllers and 32,000 lights. 

I began with 1 controller and 3,000 lights, then jumped to 16,000 and then 30,000 and this year plan 38 - 40,000.

I was told I was crazy for such a big leap, but wow, you lanched big time for a 'newbie' - looks great, enjoy it.

And I thought I was crazy - good grief - starting with 3 controllers and 32,000 lights. 

I began with 1 controller and 3,000 lights, then jumped to 16,000 and then 30,000 and this year plan 38 - 40,000.

I was told I was crazy for such a big leap, but wow, you lanched big time for a 'newbie' - looks great, enjoy it.

Lol, thnx Crazy Tech... well, if it helps with people telling you about being crazy... they called me crazy on local television :D

Lol, thnx Crazy Tech... well, if it helps with people telling you about being crazy... they called me crazy on local television :D

LOL - well when you think about the cost, the effort and the time - we are all a little crazy!  glad they told all your family and neighbors it's true, now you can do what ever you want and when they say 'your crazy' - your responses can be 'you say that like it's a bad thing!"  or "And your point would be?" or "did you not see the tv coverage?" :P

You can see my show work if you are interested at www.crazytechchristmas.com - please note that in my first year I ran with only a single controller and in my 2nd year all the lights but the mega-tree and mini-trees were on a single controller as well.

None of us are crazy, Well, most of us are not. We are just creative, and when we realize that we can have 80 leaping reindeer with 80 more channels, well, that's where the craziness comes in.  

None of us are crazy, Well, most of us are not. We are just creative, and when we realize that we can have 80 leaping reindeer with 80 more channels, well, that's where the craziness comes in.  

AKA - We ARE crazy, just ask any normal sane person if they would do what we do - when they finish laughing I predict you will get one of the following comments:

1. your nuts     2. you are crazy   3. you need to get a life    4. you have too much time on your hands   5. you must be or are going to be single   6. better you than me -- or just a look that says all of the above!

AKA - We ARE crazy, just ask any normal sane person if they would do what we do - when they finish laughing I predict you will get one of the following comments:

1. your nuts     2. you are crazy   3. you need to get a life    4. you have too much time on your hands   5. you must be or are going to be single   6. better you than me -- or just a look that says all of the above!

WOW!  I hear that all the time!!!

Lol, you forget to mention number 7 : "just wait until you receive your electrical bill..." :)

But i don't care if they call me crazy (even if i am). Since i've been doing this hobby, i'm having the time of my life. Every day there isn't a moment going by without me thinking about my next show, building new things, would i do this that way, or maybe another way...

And having people driving almost 100 miles just to see my show, or little children with red cheeks from the cold, asking me to ask the santa in the upper window to come down for them, makes me realize that my "crazyness" is making a lot of people happy.. especially when they thank me to bring the christmas spirit back in our town and into their life. So if that's crazy... I LOVE BEING CRAZY!! ;)

Lol, you forget to mention number 7 : "just wait until you receive your electrical bill..." :)

But i don't care if they call me crazy (even if i am). Since i've been doing this hobby, i'm having the time of my life. Every day there isn't a moment going by without me thinking about my next show, building new things, would i do this that way, or maybe another way...

And having people driving almost 100 miles just to see my show, or little children with red cheeks from the cold, asking me to ask the santa in the upper window to come down for them, makes me realize that my "crazyness" is making a lot of people happy.. especially when they thank me to bring the christmas spirit back in our town and into their life. So if that's crazy... I LOVE BEING CRAZY!! ;)

+1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, really newbie here.  So new, I don;t yet have a display!!  I am working on a static display with about 10,000 lights. I will be making the rounds of those in the Wichita Kansas area who let me see their work in the daytime, so I can kinda figure out where to go with this. I may try a short animated piece with about 3000 of the 10,000 lights or so planned for the static display. I am just a little leery, not only in getting it done properly, but catching the bug, and not stopping.....ever....I have a habit of sometimes letting my hobbies becoming....well, lifechangers.